Kel-Tec P3AT vs. PF9

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec P3AT vs. PF9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, I have narrowed my next Concealed weapon down to either one of these two guns. I would like to hear the pros and cons ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kel-Tec P3AT vs. PF9

Kel-Tec P3AT vs. PF9

Okay, I have narrowed my next Concealed weapon down to either one of these two guns. I would like to hear the pros and cons of either. I want to replace my Beretta 950 Jetfire 25ACP with one of these two. Any advise would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    I can tell you that when I qualified for my CHL our range was in a field and if you have ever been to west Texas then you would know that means lots of sand. With a fairly strong wind and the sand blowing the 2 KEL-TEC's that were out there both jambed several times!
    [One Nation Under God]

If you can conceal either, my vote would be for the 9mm PF-9 out of those two choices.

Plus, .380 ammo is about impossible to find right now.

I actually briefly looked at the PF-9, but decided to get a Glock 26 to complement my G19. My G19 has been reliable, and they share the 19's magazines.

Try before you buy, if you can.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Thanks 10thmtn, I also thought about the Taurus PT-111 9mm or a bersa 9mm Compact, but with those I would be straying from the pocket carry category. I also have a Bersa Model 83 .380 , but I would like to sell the Beretta and the Bersa and stick with 9mm weapons for ammo compatability.

Distinguished Member
    How do you want to carry it?? The P-3AT is a pocket type gun, fits very, very well in you pocket, the PF-9, won't be carried in my pocket, just to big. Can't remember 100%, but I think the PF-9 has the last shot hold open, which is nice, it has better sights, more capacity. In a shtf situation the PF-9 would be a better choice, but you have to give up weight, and concealablity going to a PF-9 vs a P3AT.

I confess, most days the 380 is with me, and I hate to admit it, but it follows me to bed, yes I have far better choices, but the 380 is just sooo simple to have everywhere.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

I have the Kel-Tec, it has never jammed or failed to fire. SleepingZ is right about it being easy to carry, its invisible in a pocket.

The PF9 follows me everywhere but inside work (airport). Otherwise it is in my pocket. It's accurate (for a pocket pistol), reliable (never had a single jam) and I trust it with mine and my familes lives day in and day out.

PS. If you do get the PF9, make sure to get the grip extensions! They make a world of difference when shooting.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

I really would rather carry in the pocket. I am spoiled with my little Beretta 25. as far as size and concealability. I have checked out the P3AT and it fits well in the pocket. Is the PF-9 really that much different (larger)? I am a big guy, 6'2" and 250lbs, and my hands are fairly large. Will that make a difference? I am basically trying to replace the 25 ACP., which really gets lost in my hand. Is fire recoil that much difference when comparing .380 to 9mm in this size platform?

The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

No brainer....9MM.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

If you're talking pocket carry nothing I've handled beats the P3AT. Even my model 21 Beretta (22lr) feels bulk in comparison. Unless you do something special about the sights the P3AT is a close range point shooting affair.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    How do you want to carry it?? The P-3AT is a pocket type gun, fits very, very well in you pocket, the PF-9, won't be carried in my pocket, just to big. Can't remember 100%, but I think the PF-9 has the last shot hold open, which is nice, it has better sights, more capacity. In a shtf situation the PF-9 would be a better choice, but you have to give up weight, and concealablity going to a PF-9 vs a P3AT.

I confess, most days the 380 is with me, and I hate to admit it, but it follows me to bed, yes I have far better choices, but the 380 is just sooo simple to have everywhere.

Z
    This nails it on the head .
    I've owned both and have the pf9 now because of the added firepower over the .380 ,but its not a pocket gun for me ether.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

VIP Member
    I have both of them .380 is great in the pocket. PF-9 in cargo pocket running outside quick.

cmb
    I own pf9 and do not consider it a "pocket gun" I am hoping someone will develop a 5+1 9mm for the pocket. I carry pf9 iwb with tuckable holster, and p32 in pocket. I like a pocket pistol bc you can be ready and look casual. I have a beretta bobcat 22lr and there is no comparison, in thickness and weight the pf9 is lighter and better and the 3at is smaller so it is a go. If you can coneal the pf9 in your pocket, i would definitely go with it. also the grip extension is good but add to height for pocket carry. I can line up 3-4 bolwing pins and can take two shots at each one 20 yards away and they go down. I can't get the tight groups as with my full size guns or target pistol but it is not bad for it size.

PF-9 would be the way to go..not much larger then the P3AT,and chambered for 9mm..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links