Michigan Gun Purchase Help

This is a discussion on Michigan Gun Purchase Help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, my Dad is wanting to by a KelTec off me and we are wondering if he has to register the purchase? Is it ...

Thread: Michigan Gun Purchase Help

Hey guys, my Dad is wanting to by a KelTec off me and we are wondering if he has to register the purchase? Is it illegal in MI to not register a purchase of a firearm from a private seller?

If you both have you ccw the you do not have to register the purchase, If he is planning to keep it then he should register ownership at you local sherif dept.

If one of you do NOT have you ccw the you need to get a purchase permit and goto a gun dealer to make the transaction...
    Nothing says more about how you feel, than a lead flower.

I see that you are from IN. There are different laws in place when transferring handguns across state lines. The laws in MI have changed recently. We used to have to register our guns to have them checked for "safety." Someone else will know better.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

No registration for long guns and with a bordering state that transfer should not be a problem.

BUT for a pistol:

1 if you are in Indiana and your dad is in Michigan, the purchase will have to be handled through an FFL
    2 Regardless of your dad having a CPL he will still need to register the gun with an RI60.
    3 If he has a CPL he will NOT need to get a purchase permit but WILL still need to register the pistol.

Guest column: Michigan gun law to change Wednesday
    January 6, 2009
    Joel Fulton
    Battle Creek Enquirer

Beginning Wednesday, Michigan will no longer require a post-purchase safety inspection of handguns purchased. Currently, every time a handgun is purchased in Michigan, whether it is a commercial sale or a private sale between two individuals, the purchaser must take the pistol to their local police department and present it for "safety inspection." During these inspections, actual checks for safety really never took place. What was accomplished was that the make, model, caliber and serial number of the gun was registered to the purchaser. The Legislature has recognized the hypocrisy of this process and will now trust its citizens to send them the correct information regarding the handgun to be registered.

The process will work like this. After Wednesday, both the Michigan License to Purchase a Pistol and the Pistol Sales Record (the form used for handgun purchasers who possess a Michigan Concealed Pistol License) will become four-part forms rather than three-part forms. The Michigan License to Purchase a Pistol will change in color from green to yellow. When a handgun is purchased, the forms will be filled out as usual and the four forms will be utilized in the following manner: one part will be retained by the seller, one part will be retained by the purchaser, and two parts will be delivered to the purchaser's local police department. It will be the responsibility of the purchaser to make sure the two copies reach the police department. The purchaser may do this by hand delivering them or by sending them via first-class mail. The copy of the sales record retained by the purchaser must be kept and carried any time the purchaser is carrying or transporting the firearm for the first 30 days following the date of purchase of the firearm. If caught, failure to carry this copy of the sales record for this 30-day time period will result in a civil infraction of a $250 fine and disciplinary action from the county gun board.

This change in the law should convenience individuals who work long hours and are currently unable to purchase handguns because they have to use up a vacation day from work in order to fulfill the current requirement to have a handgun safety inspected in the first 10 days following purchase at their local police department. This is difficult because most local police departments do not accommodate the working hours of the average citizen. This new system will greatly convenience the law-abiding citizens of our state.

Now that you have the facts, here is the opinion. In the 1920s, the people of Michigan rejected the registration of handguns. What they did approve was the post-purchase safety inspection of handguns. This was turned into a de facto registration of handguns and last year legislation was introduced into the Michigan Legislature to eliminate the post-purchase safety inspection process and the registration of handguns. As it turns out, the Michigan State Police Department lobbied to keep the registration process in place. Even though registration was originally rejected by Michiganders 80 years ago, the Legislature in deference to the Michigan State Police opted to keep registration and give us the convenience of getting rid of safety inspection.

Some have complained this new process will compromise the accuracy of the registration system currently in place for handguns. These critics should be reminded that in the current system, criminals are not rushing down to the police department to register all of their stolen handguns. It is perfectly plausible to expect people whose livelihood depends on the accuracy of information, namely federally licensed firearms dealers, to give the correct information on forms and ensure that purchasers get it to the correct place. Given that only law-abiding citizens comply with the law requiring them to register their firearms, and given that criminals break the law (surprise, surprise!) and refuse to register their stolen firearms, registration of handguns in Michigan, while slightly more convenient, continues to be a waste of time and resources. Trust me, when a firearm is stolen, the legal owner of the firearm will let the police know as soon as the theft is discovered!

Joel Fulton, along with his brother Jared and both of their wives (Elizabeth and Vicky), owns the Southside Sportsman Club and Freedom Firearms. He is an NRA senior training counselor who conducts the Michigan CPL classes.

Michigan Pistol Sales Record Form RI-60

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Yes all handguns in Michigan are required to be registered. As you can see above, the process has recently changed (no safety inspection, just mail in the paperwork).

If he has a CPL, he will not need a license to purchase, but will need the correct form (FFL should have that). If he does not, he will need to obtain the license to purchase from the local police.

As to the FFL involvement, the interstate sale/transfer is where it gets trickier, and the fact that you're related may or may not come into play. I'd check with an FFL in his area and see what the requirements are. Pretty sure it would be legal for you to ship it to a Michigan FFL (though they'd need to accept this, some will not accept out of State tranfers from a non-FFL holder, though being a contiguous State to Michigan makes it simpler). Then they could transfer it to him (many especially private -non stocking dealers- will do this for a minimal fee. Mine charges me $15 to transfer a firearm).

If you need help finding an FFL in his area (the gun stores may require a higher fee because of their expenses), let me know what part of the State he is in and I'll see if I can get you a good referral.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

He is in St. Johns. Just north of Lansing.
    These rules suck! Im for safety but I hate that Uncle Sam thinks he has to know everything about what I have in my safe.

In order to sell a pistol face to face in Michigan you and the buyer must be Michigan residents. The buyer must have one of two things. They must have either a Michigan CPL or a permit to purchase a firearm from their local police department. Once the buyer meets one of those two criteria you are ready to go.

Download and print the following forms.
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ri-060_6454_7.pdf

Fill all four of them out. If the buyer has a CPL, Make sure you ask them to see it and write their license number on all four forms. Once they are filled out make sure you and the buyer sign them. They are labeled so give the buyer the copy labeled buyer and you keep the seller copy.

The other two copies must be submitted to the local police or sheriff of the buyer within 10 days of the sale. It is the buyers responsibility to make sure those two copies make to the local police or sheriff. They can drop it off in person or mail it but it must be done within 10 days of purchase. It is up to the local police or sheriff to forward one copy to the state police.

Also make sure you fill out a bill of sale.

For long guns just swap money for gun and write out a receipt as long as the buyer is 18 or older.

wow. I didn't relise how good I had it! Have lived on FL or TN for the last 38 years. Nothing like that in either state. No registration. No permit to buy. In TN we have instant background check. And it is illegal for the state to keep information on what guns I have or how many.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by evander
    He is in St. Johns. Just north of Lansing.
    These rules suck! Im for safety but I hate that Uncle Sam thinks he has to know everything about what I have in my safe.
    Yes, they do. And I agree, wish we could turn back the clock, but we are where we are, at least we can still buy and sell!

I checked the hometown Forum on Arfcom, nothing listed for that area (that's where I found the dealers I use).

I DID find a bunch on GunBroker, but their site won't let me link the search results. Go to GunBroker.com, and click on "for buyers" in the black bar. Under "Before you bid" (second paragraph), click on "Find a Transfer Dealer". Then enter the zip code for St. Johns (48879) and click "Go". A good sized list appears, varying fees (some don't list their fees). From here, I'd suggest he contact a few to see who sounds good to work with. Usually I'd avoid an actual gun shop, as fees may be higer, but it couldn't hurt to call and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Landor View Post
    In order to sell a pistol face to face in Michigan you and the buyer must be Michigan residents. The buyer must have one of two things. They must have either a Michigan CPL or a permit to purchase a firearm from their local police department. Once the buyer meets one of those two criteria you are ready to go.

Download and print the following forms.
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ri-060_6454_7.pdf

Fill all four of them out. If the buyer has a CPL, Make sure you ask them to see it and write their license number on all four forms. Once they are filled out make sure you and the buyer sign them. They are labeled so give the buyer the copy labeled buyer and you keep the seller copy.

The other two copies must be submitted to the local police or sheriff of the buyer within 10 days of the sale. It is the buyers responsibility to make sure those two copies make to the local police or sheriff. They can drop it off in person or mail it but it must be done within 10 days of purchase. It is up to the local police or sheriff to forward one copy to the state police.

Also make sure you fill out a bill of sale.

For long guns just swap money for gun and write out a receipt as long as the buyer is 18 or older.
    FTF won't work here, State lines are being crossed, ATF regulations for same will apply.

Quote Originally Posted by dylistn
    wow. I didn't relise how good I had it! Have lived on FL or TN for the last 38 years. Nothing like that in either state. No registration. No permit to buy. In TN we have instant background check. And it is illegal for the state to keep information on what guns I have or how many.
    While Michigan's paperwork is a bit of a pain (and I am totally against any form of registration), the real stumbling block here is the ATF regs. regarding an interstate sale. Crossing State lines changes things dramatically.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Ricebrnr View Post
    No registration for long guns and with a bordering state that transfer should not be a problem.
    You don't see committing TWO seperate Federal felonies as a problem?

Any transfer of ANY firearm between private parties who are residents of different states violates 18 USC (United States Codes) 922 (a)(3) and (a)(5) except for inheritance when someone dies and the loan of a firearm so long as that loaned firearm is not taken back into the recipient's state of residence.

It does not matter if it is a handgun or a long gun and does not matter if the states are contiguous or not.

US CODE: Title 18,922. Unlawful acts

Sponsored Links