If you could only have one handgun.

This is a discussion on If you could only have one handgun. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; SA Pro Operator. period. traditional, reliable, and drop dead sexy... and its a 1911 lol...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: If you could only have one handgun.

SA Pro Operator. period.

traditional, reliable, and drop dead sexy... and its a 1911 lol

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    I was about to say my Smith & Wesson 686...stainless steel reliability, fairly high capacity for a wheelgun (7), and the fact that it makes it appear that I can actually shoot.

But the edge has to go to my Smith & Wesson 327 - - while I worry about the durability of the frame (what is it? scandium? titanium?), it is lighter, marginally more accurate, holds 1 more round and has a better sighting system (tritium big dot up front vs. an orange insert in a blade).

It's close. Real close.
    S&W Night Guard ?
    Nice revolver for self defense. Standard is .357 Magnum but is also available in .40 and .45 ACP

K,L, and N Frames

Yes it is Scandium.

This light weight revolver I might recommend to some but with its light weight there is a trade off in recoil. The shorter barrels have a considerable amout of recoil.
    Even though the 327 is designed for self defense, I think it is not very comfortable and not a revolver I would recommend to either a man or woman who does not like being jolted every time you fire. It gets way to hot also. Only my opinion of course.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Sig 239, .40 handsdown . . . best shooting, reliable, concealable, good knockdown power and in my opinion Sig is top of the line bar none.

I'm making this one and only gun choice out of these I currently own; Sig P228, 9 MM, Beretta M1934, .380, and Springfield GI, .45 cal.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

I think that if I could only have one, it would be a Smith and Wesson 4" .357. Good for home defense, and powerful enough to take down anything that I would ever shoot at. and you have that reliability of the revolver, I love a wheel-gun!

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Springfield XD45 Compact. Conceals well, shoots great and is stone cold reliable.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

That is a tough choice as it would be between my SIG 228 or my Glock 27.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    My chief says I gotta carry one of several approved forties, and buy it for myself. So, for as long as I wear my current badge, it will be a SIG P229.

For an exercise that excludes my job, I would want my one and only handgun to be one of my former duty handguns, my Ruger GP100 with a 4" lugged barrel and adjustable sights. I can conceal it well enough, and it is a very versatile tool/weapon. It is a bit much weight when carrying a radio, handcuffs, and such, but the weight is manageable in CC mode.

only one ? CZ 75 Compact , TT gunleather . Nuff said.

cmb
    Interesting the way people are thinking... survival in the wilderness, cc, self defense, urban survival... also is this a pistol I have or the dream pistol...I would agree with the bushmaster pistol (dreaming here), kt makes one, sig, several others, 223 in a 9" barrel times 30; pretty good for everyhing but cc, a little tough. If it was conceal carry or reality my Ruger P89 or Springfield 1911.

H&K P2000 LEM 9mm

VIP Member
    Sig 238 ~
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    First check your state laws or the state you will be hunting in. While it may be legal to carry a rifle or shotgun. Some states prohibit the carry of semi auto's and even revolvers while hunting.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

As me sitting here right now, the XD 45 that I have. It's not going to let me down, and shoots really well.

If I were in a position where I also needed to hunt than it would likely be a 4 inch 686.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

If i had to choose between all the guns i own right now, it would have to be my GP100with a 4" barrel.... Why, because I LOVE the .357 mag round and the gun is by far my most favorite to shoot, plus you cant beat the simplicity/reliability of a revolver.

If I could only pick one from what I already own and as much as I love my Sig 239, I'd have to choose my XDM 40. As my only gun, it would have to serve more duties than just CC so I'd like the higher round count. If I could get rid of all of my current guns and then buy one new one, then my choice would be a Sig 229.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links