.50GI?

.50GI?

This is a discussion on .50GI? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone carry a pistol chambered in .50GI? I've seen shows discussing the round and a 1911 chambered for it, but haven't seen any at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .50GI?

.50GI?

Does anyone carry a pistol chambered in .50GI? I've seen shows discussing the round and a 1911 chambered for it, but haven't seen any at gun shops. Have they shown up around your area, or did you have to order one to carry?
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

I've only seen one custom shop offer that caliber. That's the .50 case with the rebated rim, right?
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Nobody can find 9mm 40,or 45 on a regular basis,I try to stick to popular calibers,without ammo your high dollar gun is a paperweight
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My friend has one. He built the grips for the GI. Sweet custom gun. Includes a .45acp conversion for cheaper shooting. Looking at the muzzle is like looking into a cave. A man would go broke shooting the .50 though unless he reloaded.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Nobody can find 9mm 40,or 45 on a regular basis,I try to stick to popular calibers,without ammo your high dollar gun is a paperweight
    I like caliber options. When it comes to a frame like a Golck, SIG, etc, you have many options.

I think with the .50 GI you have to consider what do you get out of it. If I'm not mistaken, with a Glock 10mm all you need to do is purchase a .45 ACP barrel (or maybe it is an off brand conversion), and you have both. Then you go out and buy a .50 GI upper, and you have another option. However in the case of the Glock, you have to ask, is the 10mm your woods carry or the .50 GI.

I don't really know if the 1911 frame works with a 10mm (yes, I know there out there). But I'm not aware of a lot of conversions. With the .50 GI and 1911, if I'm not mistake, there are conversion kits. That means you could switch up to .50 GI for woods carry.

To sum up with a final thought, I don't think I would go with the .50 GI as a SD round in a 1911 (because the .45 ACP is most everything you would need). Still, there is something interesting about the .50 GI.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I saw a magazine article on a company that had 1911s or 1911 clones (forgive me, im a n00bie) in .50G.I.
    I want one!!!!!!!!!!!! in O.D. Green!
    current guns owned:
    1)fingers in the shape of a gun+making "BANG" sounds.
    2)pocket full of rocks

There's a 1911 in 50 GI here at work. One of the guys built it. Reloading is a must.
    What surprised us (but probably shouldn't have) is that the 50 caliber bullet with suitable pressures for a 1911 just doesn't make much velocity. I am in agreement with Thanis that since the 45 ACP does a fine job as is, there's little reason to play with the 50 GI. If you want to say you have a 50, that's great, but the cartridge itself is not exactly a step above anything that's not already available.
    Last edited by David III; July 17th, 2009 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Have to learn how to spell...

why not just get a Wildey

Quote Originally Posted by David III View Post
    .. I am in agreement with Thanis that since the 45 ACP does a fine job as is, there's little reason to play with the 50 GI. If you want to say you have a 50, that's great, but the cartridge itself is not exactly a step above anything that's not already available.
    Ya, for SD, the .45 ACP in a 1911 is one of those why mess with it. Plus, if you are considering something like woods carry, leave the 1911 home, and for the same price as some of the conversions / stand alones 1911 .50 G.I., get the right gun for the job (maybe a 10mm, .41 Mag, .44 Mag, etc).
    NRA Member

God, I can hear the lawyers now.. "So.. you shot that young man with your gun which is a 50 caliber huh? Designed specifically to kill a man, pierce police armor, and take down air planes is that right? Are you a violent man Mr. Smith?

Quit foolin' with these mouse guns! Please! A real man wouldn't be caught dead with less than an M79 40mm grenade launcher!

If the projectile is not bigger than 1" in diameter and doesn't explode on impact...I'm not interested!

So there!

The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Quit foolin' with these mouse guns! Please! A real man wouldn't be caught dead with less than an M79 40mm grenade launcher!

If the projectile is not bigger than 1" in diameter and doesn't explode on impact...I'm not interested!

So there!

I have a 40mm grenade conversion upper for my Glock.
    NRA Member

I have a customer that has two different 50GI guns one CZ Clone and other 1911 platform. That is one big hole maker.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

what about the .460 rowland conversion for 1911's? It seriously ups the power!

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    I have a 40mm grenade conversion upper for my Glock.

My EDC is an .88 Magnum. It shoots through schools!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links