Short Barrel 357

This is a discussion on Short Barrel 357 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Sportsterguy Below is my all time favorite S&W. It's a 3" model 66 that was a limited run back in 85 that ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Short Barrel 357

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsterguy View Post
    Below is my all time favorite S&W. It's a 3" model 66 that was a limited run back in 85 that cost 275.00. Now worth 700.00+ and climbing. They are now pricey but it's the best all round revolver I own and is just plain crazy accurate. I've also included a shot of my motorcycle piece, a S&W nickel model 19. It's a 2.5" but 10 "C" notes says a bad guy shot to center mass hit with either revolver loaded with 158 gr. Speer Gold Dots to the vitals will not know the difference between the 2.

A plus with the 3" revolver is you'll have higher velocities and being a "K" frame handles .357's very well due to it's extra weight which by the way is a breeze to carry all day. Another plus is both of these revolvers WILL appreciate in value if you don't abuse them. Can't say the same with the Ruger. They are harder to find but worth every penny IMO for a weapon you're relying on to protect your life with!

A "J" frame .357 is a hard piece to hit with and kicks like a little mule. You really have to practice with it for shots past the 7 yard line. My "K" frames are just as easy to conceal as a "J" frame in a IWB holster as I do not pocket carry due to wearing nothing but Levi jeans and shorts. They are also way easier to hit what your aiming at. Yea I'm a non fashional kinda guy set in my ways.

Let's go back to the Ruger SP101. It can be had in a 3" barrel with adjustable sights (Gives you the ability to change up loads and adjust for their different point of impact, VERY important IMO as it allows you to use any good SD rounds) and will handle a .357 mag diet forever. It is however limited to 5 rounds IMS in .357 mag. With a mainspring change from Wolff and a visit to a COMPETENT gunsmith the trigger can be greatly improved thereby greatly increasing your chances of hitting what you are aiming at. It is a great revolver, just not as refined as an older S&W which are my all time favorites revolvers.

My vote still goes to the S&W 19 or 66. Here is one on Gun Broker that has a pretty darn good price on it.

Smith & Wesson Model 19 with 2.5 inch barrel : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

Here are my 2 K frames which are wearing Ahrends grips. I'm pitching S&W's as I truly believe the older pre lock models were and are the best revolvers ever made. I'm not a snob, just appreciate finely maufactured handguns.

Happy shopping!

SG

66 3" Now a house weapon

19 nickel motorcycle revolver in an Alessi shoulder holster
    Hey, how about you just sell me your 66?!?!?!?

That is exaclty what I am looking for, and I really do want a 3" gun so if I want new, the SP101 is the way to go, but I had one and it didnt really do it for me, so I need to shop for a used 66 in the 3" variety....I think that makes it the perfect gun for what I want to use it for, plus adjustable sights would be a nice to have for the range to.

Thanks for the link and for the great pictures.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

2. Remove Ads

Looked all over locally for a 66 this weekend.....nothing at all found, very frustrating....SO going to save my pennies and keep looking....loce the profile of this gun. Like the 686's, but want the 66....and want to maybe carry it too so I think I need to hold out for the right one.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I have a Ruger Security-Six in stainless flavor.It has a four inch barrel and My
    girlfriend purchased it as an engagement present for me 26 years ago,3 kids
    latter.She paid $285.She been my wife for 26 plus years now!

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    Hey, how about you just sell me your 66?!?!?!?

That is exaclty what I am looking for, and I really do want a 3" gun so if I want new, the SP101 is the way to go, but I had one and it didnt really do it for me, so I need to shop for a used 66 in the 3" variety....I think that makes it the perfect gun for what I want to use it for, plus adjustable sights would be a nice to have for the range to.

Thanks for the link and for the great pictures.
    You're very welcome Harley2007 and thanks for the compliment. The 66 will be the LAST gun I would ever sell! If you find one you will immediately fall in love with it after your first trip to the range. I swear it thinks it has an 8 3/8" barrel when I'm having a good day. If your serious I'll keep a look out for one for you. You WILL NOT regret spending the money on it and you can truthfully tell the wife it's an investment!!

One more plus to the 3" barrel is you can count on the cases ejecting from the cylinder when you strike the ejector rod due to extra 1/2" length of the rod. Can't say the same with a 2.5" with hot loads.

Happy hunting,

SG

BTW which HD do you ride?
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

One more plus to the 3" barrel is you can count on the cases ejecting from the cylinder when you strike the ejector rod due to extra 1/2" length of the rod. Can't say the same with a 2.5" with hot loads.

I have noticed that from my wife's 642....which is fine for the range but if I ever need to reload under pressure, would not be fun!

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Take a look at S&W model 60. J frame, 5 shot, steel, barrel length can be had at 3". Nice shooters. I'm surprised nobody has suggested one. I've seen one w/the Hi Viz sights and was really impressed. No glassed req'd for those of you that have hit the 50 mark.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    Good luck on your search. Try Buds Gun Shop or Gun's america, you might get lucky.

I just looked on Guns America and there are several 2-1/2" barrel model 66's for sale!

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I frequently check a very large dealer in Houston, which is well-known for seeking out nice pre-owned firearms. It is rare for them to have a good example of a snubby pre-keyhole S&W .357 last for more than a day or two, and such weapons command high prices.

S&W K frames

For short barrel .357 revolvers for carry, I prefer the S&W K frames, such as the models 19 and 66. These guns are heavy enough to handle the recoil easily, but small enough to conceal.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

S&W Model 60

+1 for the S&W Model 60. With its J-frame design and 2 1/8" barrel, it is easy to conceal, but handles the 357s nicely.

For those of you referencing Ballistics by the Inch:

remember that they measure their barrel lengths from the breech face to the end of the barrel. In real life, this is how semi autos are measured, but revolvers are measured from the forcing cone to the end of the barrel. So, if you're looking at the 2" chart in BbtI, in real life that would be less than an inch of barrel length for a .357 and slightly longer for a .38.

What you should be looking at is the 3" inch chart for snubnoses. I'll save you the time.

.38 CorBon JHP 125gr = 854 fps

.357 CorBon JHP 125gr = 1257 fps

As you can see the .357 has more than a 400 fps speed advantage. In fact, a .357 coming out of a snub is faster than nearly all 9mm rounds coming out of a full size auto.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither' -Ben Franklin

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Take a look at S&W model 60. J frame, 5 shot, steel, barrel length can be had at 3". Nice shooters. I'm surprised nobody has suggested one. I've seen one w/the Hi Viz sights and was really impressed. No glassed req'd for those of you that have hit the 50 mark.

Great suggestion svgheartland and can't believe I forgot to suggest it! Trade for this one 2 months ago and it's a great 5 shot J frame. Have a Hi Viz sight (37.00) on order for my factory Magnaported 60-10. It carries great in a LOBO IWB. I'll only shoot my favorite 158 gr. Speer GD's in .38+P through it though. Think a full magnum load will speed up wear and tear on it.

Yes I have shot this revolver at night and don't have any more problems with muzzle flash than I do when firing a 158 gr. SGD .357 than I do with my other snubbies.

60-10 (stainless one) with Uncle Mikes full coverage grips. A must have IMO to tame the sting factor and they give you a proper sight picture when pointing.

Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    Good luck on your search. Try Buds Gun Shop or Gun's america, you might get lucky.

I just looked on Guns America and there are several 2-1/2" barrel model 66's for sale!
    I have been looking online at all of the sites, yes there are some nice offerings for about $600......so I know where the market stands and would like to see one in person before spending that money but if I cannot find one locally, I will try the net.

Thanks.

I do like the j frames as my wife has a 642 but for this, Iwant to shoot 357's so I think a K frame is just the better choice for me, otherwise I agree, the 60's would fit the bill fine.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    I have been looking online at all of the sites, yes there are some nice offerings for about $600......so I know where the market stands and would like to see one in person before spending that money but if I cannot find one locally, I will try the net.

Thanks.
    Your welcome. If you were closer I'd let you shoot mine.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links