Short Barrel 357

This is a discussion on Short Barrel 357 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I believe the value mostly nostalga. Originally, the caseheads were covered, as viewed from the side (recessed), and the pinned barrel was exactly that, pinned ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Short Barrel 357

I believe the value mostly nostalga. Originally, the caseheads were covered, as viewed from the side (recessed), and the pinned barrel was exactly that, pinned to keep it from rotating out.

My Dad's Model 29 is recessed, and it looks much more "finished" than a non-recessed. The pinned does nothing for me.

Mine is not pinned or recessed. But it is bought and paid for, which I think is much better... Thumb latch is here. Springs on the way. Grips on the way.

I'm thinking hard about a full moon conversion by TK Custom as well... $100 bucks for that...
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

2. Remove Ads

I have a stainless factory DAO Ruger GP-100, with a 3" barrel that I had massaged by Gemini Customs. The balance is perfect and the gun shoots with target grade accuracy when I do my part.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FHBrumb View Post
    I believe the value mostly nostalga. Originally, the caseheads were covered, as viewed from the side (recessed), and the pinned barrel was exactly that, pinned to keep it from rotating out.

My Dad's Model 29 is recessed, and it looks much more "finished" than a non-recessed. The pinned does nothing for me.

Mine is not pinned or recessed. But it is bought and paid for, which I think is much better... Thumb latch is here. Springs on the way. Grips on the way.

I'm thinking hard about a full moon conversion by TK Custom as well... $100 bucks for that...
    I have my eye set on a 66-2, looks almost new, has all the box items, manual, cleaning kit (this stuff does not matter more than it shows the gun was cared for)....not a speck on the cylinder exterior, looks like it was never shot.......all in about $600, but all of the others I have seen are in this range too and this is the only one that looks like it just came off of the shelf. I have seen some no dash and 66-1's which would have the pinned/recessed features, but they do not appear as new.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by tex45acp View Post
    I have a stainless factory DAO Ruger GP-100, with a 3" barrel that I had massaged by Gemini Customs. The balance is perfect and the gun shoots with target grade accuracy when I do my part.
    If I cannot find a good used 66, i have already decided to go in search of the 3" GP. I had a 4" GP back in 89 or 90, my first "new" gun purchase. I had a trigger job on it from Cole's gunshop here in Florida, loved the gun and stupidly traded it on something else (cannot remember what that was!)....miss it a bunch.

I would get another but the 4" is too big/bulky for carry for me, so if I cannot find a decent 66 in 2 1/2 or 3", I will go for the 3" GP.

Thanks for the info.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    For short barrel .357 revolvers for carry, I prefer the S&W K frames, such as the models 19 and 66. These guns are heavy enough to handle the recoil easily, but small enough to conceal.

You, Sir, are one lucky man. What more can a man ask for other than a BEAUTIFUL collection of shorty K frames? One day I will join ya.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Is $600 the right price point???? I am ready to get one, but in this economy, cannot afford to pat too much, any suggestions or ideas would be great.

Also, if I saw one for $600, would it be insulting to offer, say $500 or $525? I dont want to insult anyone but I only have so much in funds.....

Pogo2 rules in K frames!
    It is a salivating experience each time he posts pictures.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links