Short Barrel 357

This is a discussion on Short Barrel 357 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to get a 2" 357. I had a SP101 and it was ok but I think I want a 6 shot to use ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Short Barrel 357

Short Barrel 357

I want to get a 2" 357. I had a SP101 and it was ok but I think I want a 6 shot to use as a house gun and maybe as a carry gun from time to time. I know a 4" may be better for home but not for CCW.

Please give me your thoughts on what and why as I am going to go to some stores to shop one over the weekend.

Thanks
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

2. Remove Ads

I have a 3" S&W mod 65. It's my favorite carry revolver. Good balance, nice sie and a great trigger.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Quote Originally Posted by paul45 View Post
    I have a 3" S&W mod 65. It's my favorite carry revolver. Good balance, nice sie and a great trigger.
    What frame is a 65 and is it a 5 or 6 shot?
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

I bought a Rossi Model 461 in June that I really like . Relatively easy to conceal and carry, nice DA trigger pull, accurate and only about $310.00 + tax. I`ve fired over 500 rounds through it and the recoil isn`t all that bad. Nice handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubadub View Post
    I bought a Rossi Model 461 in June that I really like . Relatively easy to conceal and carry, nice DA trigger pull, accurate and only about $310.00 + tax. I`ve fired over 500 rounds through it and the recoil isn`t all that bad. Nice handgun.
    My first thought was to get a S&W since I like my wife's 642 so much and since I was unhappy with the trigger on my Taurus revolver but I have not tried Rossi's or Charter Arms and maybe I should because I know they are good values......i will look at them too, thanks.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    What frame is a 65 and is it a 5 or 6 shot?
    The model 65 is a k-frame, IIRC. Smith makes the model 686 in both 2.5" and 3" barrel lengths, the 3" holds seven rounds, and your performance out of the 3" barrel will be much better and it conceals just as easy. If you want something lite, you can look at the 386 night guard, which has the 2.5" barrel. Just looke dat teh S&W website, the 686 plus with 2.5" barrel also holds seven rounds.
    Last edited by shooterX; July 17th, 2009 at 10:25 AM. Reason: additional information

I had a Model 66 K frame 6 shot for the house which I really liked but I could only afford to have one and it didn't fit the bill for CC. I then got a 640 J frame 5 shot which serves the perpose as a defensive handgun perfectly in my opinion. I really like the steel, pinned sight, and the ability to still hold 357. I've heard nothing but good things about the 642 though, but it wasn't everything I wanted. My wife also had a tough time with the size of the k frame. Chances are just as likely for her to need to use it in the house as me so I want everyone in the house to be able to handle every gun in the house (from a defense standpoint)

If you like Rugers wheelguns (I certainly do) try & find a Security/Speed Six. They're anvil tough, 6 shots & just a shade smaller/lighter than the currently available GP100. I let one (4" Security Six, Stainless, Heavy Barrel) get away 25 years ago. I STILL miss that pistol. Enjoy whatever you pick!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubadub View Post
    I owned a 6 shot snub nose stainless Rossi and kick myself whenever I think of the time I sold it. Should have kept that pistol. Great Gun. Inexpensive. Believe they are owned by Taurus now?
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

I got a Rossi 642, stainless 6 shot .357 snub nose
    $300 before tax, alot of gun for the money
    too heavy and cylinder kinda big for pocket carry

Yep, they`re not too good for pocket carry but they are just fine in a good quality IWB holster.

I carry my Rossi .357 snubbie all the time. In pocket or OWB.

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    The model 65 is a k-frame, IIRC. Smith makes the model 686 in both 2.5" and 3" barrel lengths, the 3" holds seven rounds, and your performance out of the 3" barrel will be much better and it conceals just as easy. If you want something lite, you can look at the 386 night guard, which has the 2.5" barrel. Just looke dat teh S&W website, the 686 plus with 2.5" barrel also holds seven rounds.
    I just looked, I like the 686 in 3".....I need to hold one and see how it fits my hand and see the price, I am guessing it is a $600 plus gun.

Quote Originally Posted by hk boy View Post
    I got a Rossi 642, stainless 6 shot .357 snub nose
    $300 before tax, alot of gun for the money
    too heavy and cylinder kinda big for pocket carry
    I have a shop close by that stocks a bit of Rossi's going to check them out tonight.....never had one....had a couple of Taurus's and they were just ok for me but that has been a while and i hear good things about them now.

I too have a smith model 65 w/3" barrel, really love that gun. It's at CCR getting a custom finish job right now and I miss it bad.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links