Kahr PM9

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently bought a Kahr PM9 to carry in the hot weather months. Initially, I figured to use it as a bug but I`ve gotten ...

Thread: Kahr PM9

Kahr PM9

I recently bought a Kahr PM9 to carry in the hot weather months. Initially, I figured to use it as a bug but I`ve gotten to like the thing so much I carry it as my primary gun most of the time. Does anyone else do this as a summer solution? When the weather turns cool I`ll carry a Glock 19 and the PM9 will be my bug but with summer clothes limiting my carry options I just want to make sure that I`m not short changing myself . I carry an extra mag and 124 gr. +P Golden Sabers.Your thoughts please. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I just purchased one myself and am very happy with the quality and accuracy. I would make sure I was using the Speer JHP designed for a short barrel, Hornady critical defense, or my favorite . . . Powerball.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    My PM9 is my EDC. I also have a G33 and G29SF that I'll carry at times but I keep coming back to the PM9. It's very easy to conceal, pocket or IWB and I don't feel undergunned with it loaded up with 147g HST. I always carry the 7rd mag as my backup. I haven't tried the BUG role with it but I may when I'm carrying either the G33 or G29SF also. Do a search here. There are a bunch of good threads on the PM9.

VIP Member
    CorBon DPX might be worth looking at. IMO Kahr's design and finish are tops. Mine serves as BUG, but I have no qualms carrying it as primary. It's a PM40
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Mine runs like a top.
    I carry it fairly regularly.
    No problems.
    Dave
    Last edited by Airedale; July 17th, 2009 at 01:09 PM.

IMHO, PM9 is the best of the pocket 9mm options (short of a $Rogar$). You might try some quality non +P SD ammo as higher pressure loads are hardest on short-slide poly-framed autoloaders. And remember: the smaller/lighter the gun, the more difficult it is to shoot well. The harder it is to shoot well, the more you need to practice. The more you practice, the more you must replace your recoil spring. Keep up with your round-count & practice, practice, practice. Nice pistol!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

My PM40 is my EDC year round. It started as my summer carry but I found that in a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 it is virtually impossible to detect - even under a t-shirt - and is very comfortable. Once I found the right ammunition (Federal Expanding Full Metal Jacket) it has been 100% reliable and very, very accurate. I do carry larger pistols in the fall and winter, especially in the woods, but in urban areas I feel very comfortable carrying the PM40 and additional magazine as my primary concealed carry pistol.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    IMHO, PM9 is the best of the pocket 9mm options (short of a $Rogar$).
    I agree, the design, size, function and quality of these little handguns sets them apart. Outstanding bug IMO or small EDC.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Hubadub View Post
    ...Initially, I figured to use it as a bug but I`ve gotten to like the thing so much I carry it as my primary gun most of the time. Does anyone else do this as a summer solution?...
    I bought my PM9 about 3 years ago as a Summer carry piece because I wasn't satisfied with the munchkin size .32 ACP I had at the time. I started shooting the PM9 regularly for basic proficiency and to verify its reliability. I found out a few interesting things about this gun:
    It is 100 per cent reliable.
    It is too heavy to carry in your pocket without a good belt.
    It is amazingly accurate and I shoot it as well as my HK P2000 at close range.
    I don't feel like I didn't "bring enough gun" when ever I carry it.

So my Summer carry solution is the same as my cool weather solution. I use an IWB holster and an untucked shirt.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    "To win at warfare you must kill the enemy", Clausewitz

I am in the market for one VERY soon....
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I have been looking to purchase a PM9 ASAP. All of my regular haunts do not have any.
    I really wanted compare to a Walther PPS, but the Walther is not CA legal.

The PM9 surprised me at the range. I shot it as well one handed as I did with both hands.

Great little gun. I have one of the early serial number guns. It has been 100% reliable. I can pocket carry in jeans or cargo shorts with a Desantis Nemesis or IWB with a Comp-Tac Pro Undercover holster.

I bought a PM9 about 8 months ago and it has become my EDC. I have run about 500 rounds through it so far without a problem. I also find it is much easier for me to shoot well compared to a J Frame and with 7 rounds of 9MM plus an extra mag, I feel it is more than sufficient for my needs. After running multiple types of SD rounds through it, I have settled on Federal HST 124 +p as my carry round.

I tried pocket carry in pants, but did not care for it. During cold weather, I did pocket carry in a coat, but in warmer weather, I have carried IWB exclusively.

Last week, I bought a Crimson Trace laser for the PM9 and yesterday ordered a new IWB holster from Sideguard that Erik is making to fit with the new CT laser

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubadub View Post
    I recently bought a Kahr PM9 to carry in the hot weather months. Initially, I figured to use it as a bug but I`ve gotten to like the thing so much I carry it as my primary gun most of the time. Does anyone else do this as a summer solution? When the weather turns cool I`ll carry a Glock 19 and the PM9 will be my bug but with summer clothes limiting my carry options I just want to make sure that I`m not short changing myself . I carry an extra mag and 124 gr. +P Golden Sabers.Your thoughts please. Thanks.
    I carry my PM9 as a primary carry gun in the summer or anytime really when clothing or curcumstances dictate something small and lite. I don't feel like I am under armed. I am from Fuquay Varina buy the way Hubadub. Where did you buy your PM9?
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Links