YOUR favorite ccw and why?

This is a discussion on YOUR favorite ccw and why? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; looking to purchase my ccw handgun, in YOUR opinion, which is better and why?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: YOUR favorite ccw and why?

looking to purchase my ccw handgun, in YOUR opinion, which is better and why?

[B]First, Welcome from Arizona.Now for the weapon I say a 1911 a Les Bear. For you it might be some thing different.Go to a range and shoot different types. Good luck./B]
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

VIP Member
    There is no one MAGIC GUN out there.

If there was, it would be the only gun on the market. Get out there and try a whole bunch of them. Decide on your carry method. Read a bunch of books on the topic, etc.

BTW, my EDC is my HK P7. Why anyone would carry anything other than that is beyond me.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

cmb
    very personal decision, you asked and you will hoepfully get a multitude of answers, there are two popular threads one which covers what many are carrying and the other with how... check them out too! Welcome many here here are much more knowledgable than I. My EDC (every day carry) is a KT (kel tec) PF9 IWB (inside the waistband) and a p32 in the pocket. I thought you had to have a small and light gun to conceal... in the pocket yes but in the waistband, not so much I have carried a Walther type 380 and Ruger p89 and after some range, dry practice and target time my new 1911 may get a lot more cary time!

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    As others have said its personal decision.
    I put in this phrase "Do you let your mother pick your underwear?"
    I prefer Sig P220 .45, but sometimes carry a Taurus PT-22 .22.
    To each his own.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

S&W 340 M&P in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster

For an EDC gun you will always have to live with compromise between a gun you shoot well and one that conceals well. For me I chose the Glock 23. It sort of the ultimate compromise. It's the same size as a 9mm but more powerful and has more capacity than the 45 ACP.

I really do think a 357 sig would be great as well. Same size gun and it's like getting a 9mm mag in the process.

Of course get a gun you shoot well should be the first priorty. You can always dress around a 1911 45 ACP if that's what you like. Actually they conceal pretty good too, with the right holster and belt.

A small/medium frame .357 revolver

Welcome to DC.

We can't pick a CCW for you, therre are too many good designs and too many good reasons to carry them all. I'd suggest setting a minimum price for yourself, make a good guess at how exactly you'll carry, and hit a range with rentals to try out a bunch. You might find one of the "Annual" type gun magazines a handy resource. They have a catalog of sorts in the back where you can compare features, sizes, magazine capacity, etc. Take the prices with a grain of salt, though.

Best thing to do is to go rent and shoot bunch of different types, sizes, calibers till you find what fits you best

My EDC is PT 140Pro or SA XD45t compact

Take a look around the site for a while. There is a lot of what and why here. I think you'll find a lot of good tips out there.
    Welcome

BTW: I carry a S&W M&P .45 in a Black Ops holster
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Ditto to the posters above recommending renting at a shooting range, I've rented over 10 different guns and out of those I would only buy 2 or 3. Hand size, recoil sensitivity, accuracy, sight style, etc. all come into play differently for each person. My daily carry is a Sig Sauer 226 .40 carried IWB, when summer comes and tee shirts go on I switch to a Bersa .380 either IWB or pocket carry. It's really a very personal thing, what can 'ya shoot good and what can you conceal? Kahr makes some nice small semi-autos although they are pricey.

Best of luck, shopping is the fun part!

Mine is my S&W 640-1. I've tried to carry other guns. I just keep going back to this one.

Welcome to our forum. You will find that this forum has a wealth of useful information on gun issues. One topic you won't find is the "perfect" gun for you. That's a personal decision you have to make on your own. There is no formula for deciding which handgun will work for you. It will be through "trial & error" starting at your local gun store. Start there!

As others have said, you have to decide what type of handgun you want, revolver/semi-automatic, what caliber, etc. That will take you some time to make that decision.

Another thing to consider is the amount of experience your have had with handguns. Some individuals if they have a limited amount of experience prefer the simplicity of a revolver. In the event of a bad catridge, all that is required to chamber a new catridge is pulling the trigger again. This is not the case when you are firing a "semi-automatic" handgun. It may involve clearing a "jam" or "stove pipe" where you have to pull the slide back to chamber the next round in the magazine. Not everyone should carry semi-automatics for this reason.

You should be making a trip to your local gun store and looking for a handgun that you are comfortable with based upon your experience with handguns.

I hope that this helps you decide which handgun is best suited for your needs. This is a very personal decision.

In my case, I carry the Glock 26 to the left of this message. It works very well for my needs.

Again, welcome to the group!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

If you get 100 people to answer your question, you'll likely get close to 100 different opinions. Everyone has their personal favorites and I respect each one's opinion. I've come to the conclusion that you find a gun that has adequate stopping power, you like it, it carry's well, shoots well, it's fun to shoot and you train a lot.....and then practice that training. Also I'd pick my first gun as one I could get ammo for.
    Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links