New CCW - P3AT

New CCW - P3AT

This is a discussion on New CCW - P3AT within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I received my cc permit about 5 weeks ago and have just been using my P95 as a concealed truck gun. I haven't been carrying ...

Thread: New CCW - P3AT

New CCW - P3AT

I received my cc permit about 5 weeks ago and have just been using my P95 as a concealed truck gun. I haven't been carrying until I could find an actual carry gun. Well, I know some do carry the P95, but it's a little bulky for me to want to carry other than in the truck.

I had basically narrowed it down to a Kel Tec PF9, P11, Bersa UC9, Kel Tec P3AT or Ruger LCP.

Well I went to a local gunshow today and they didn't have any PF9's or LCP's. There were a handful of P11's, but if I got one of those I was looking for a hard chrome or at least parkerized version, but all they had were the blued ones. I saw a few for $299-$319 and one dealer had a blued version for $249, but the chamber cover looked to have rust on it. I also saw several Bersa UC9's for $349, but after looking them over deemed it bigger than what I was wanting. One of these dealers had some P3AT's, but were asking $329 for them . But then, tho and behold, I came across a table that had a parkerized P3AT with grey grip for $249. 15 minutes later I was walking away with it for $264 OTD.

I also nabbed a pocket holster and several boxes of 7.62x54R for my Mosin

I would say though that one of the most memorable parts of the day came while I was waiting for my background check to be processed. I was just browsing some tables when all of a sudden some idiot accidentally discharged an HK 308 across the room at one of the tables. Luckily the only thing he did right was have the gun pointing at the floor, which left a huge hole in the concrete and an arena full of folks stunned and just shaking their heads.
    "The government who robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" George Benard Shaw

VIP Member
    Congratulations on the new gun.

I would say though that one of the most memorable parts of the day came while I was waiting for my background check to be processed. I was just browsing some tables when all of a sudden some idiot accidentally discharged an HK 308 across the room at one of the tables. Luckily the only thing he did right was have the gun pointing at the floor, which left a huge hole in the concrete and an arena full of folks stunned and just shaking their heads.
    This is why I HATE gun shows. No matter how closely they check the guns out coming in, you still hear about these things happening. Not to mention having guns pointed at you a dozen time an hour. Thank goodness no one was hurt.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Congrats, Hope you can find "feed" for the beast.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Congrats, Hope you can find "feed" for the beast.
    I'll agree with this. Range ammo has been scarce around here for .380's. Mine has eaten more SD ammo than I originally intended, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just a somewhat expensive thing.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyTop View Post
    II would say though that one of the most memorable parts of the day came while I was waiting for my background check to be processed. I was just browsing some tables when all of a sudden some idiot accidentally discharged an HK 308 across the room at one of the tables. Luckily the only thing he did right was have the gun pointing at the floor, which left a huge hole in the concrete and an arena full of folks stunned and just shaking their heads.
    They make you unload and wire tie all guns coming into the gun shows in my area; it sounds now like a good idea!

I'd recommend a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. It's the best one on the market, IMO, for the P3AT and LCP.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

The ammo issue is the one thing I was leery of with the p3at. I was wanting more of a pocket gun and would've nabbed a pf9, but no one had any of them. I was also concerned about the p11's trigger pull and didn't see any good deals on them anyway. I guess I'm just banking on the worst of the ammo crunch being over and hopefully by fall it'll become more readily available and at reasonable prices again.

As for the negligent discharge, I did see them requiring individuals to put plastic strips through their guns upon entering the arena, and the p3at I purchased had a plastic strip through it when I bought it. But apparently not all of the dealers complied.
    "The government who robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" George Benard Shaw

Great choice on the P3AT.I carry one as a bug every day.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Congratulations on the new gun.

This is why I HATE gun shows. No matter how closely they check the guns out coming in, you still hear about these things happening. Not to mention having guns pointed at you a dozen time an hour. Thank goodness no one was hurt.
    That is crazy!

I remember as a little kid, probably 5 or 7 years old, I was with my dad at a local gun show. Of course, I would pick up and look at nearly every gun in reach. Once, I picked up an automatic pistol, and racked the slide back, and a live bullet flew out and landed right at the owner's feet! Turns out the whole clip was also loaded. That seller turned white as a ghost...and I'm still thankful that dad taught me to check every gun before I look at it!

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I've had two, the first one was a 1st generation and I had constant problems with it; but I didn't give up on the P3AT type gun so I got a 2nd generation later and it's been GREAT. I now have a Ruger LCP but truthfully, other than looking a little better, I really think they're so close in every other department that it just doesn't really matter.

Enjoy it!

Congrats in the new P-3AT, you'll love that 'easy to hide' rascal.

I still have my 1st generation P-3AT...it's over 6 years old, with never a problem. It always goes boom, but not something I take hundreds of shots with at the range...not really fun to shoot. I like knowing I can have a second gun that will not fail me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I was wrong about no one being injured by the accidental discharge:

Man injured when rifle fires during Salem gun show - Roanoke.com

Man injured when rifle fires during Salem gun show

A man was wounded when an antique rifle he was holding discharged during a gun show in Salem on Saturday, according to city officials.

The man, a friend of a dealer at the show, suffered superficial wounds to his face "apparently from concrete fragments that were sprayed upon impact when the rifle went off" in a confined area, Salem spokesman Mike Stevens said.

Salem police described the gun as "an antique military-style rifle," Stevens said.

The man was taken to Lewis-Gale Medical Center, where he was treated for his injury and released.

His name has not been released, and Salem police Sgt. Mike Brightwell said charges are possible pending further investigation.

A Salem police officer and a Virginia state trooper regularly work at the civic center's gun shows, and they responded as soon as the firearm went off, Stevens said.

Carey Harveycutter, Salem's director of civic facilities, said the discharge was the civic center's first in 20 years of hosting gun shows. He said that loaded firearms are not allowed at gun shows.

Links