Trying to help a brand new shooter out

This is a discussion on Trying to help a brand new shooter out within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took a brand new shooter to the range yesterday, now she's searching for her first gun. She really liked my full size 1911 because of ...

Took a brand new shooter to the range yesterday, now she's searching for her first gun. She really liked my full size 1911 because of the low recoil and nice trigger pull. She won't be carrying this gun, she's just looking for something to shoot. I've recommended the Rock Island Tactical (since it is almost the same as mine), the Taurus PT-1911 (since it comes with the same upgrades mine has), or if she's got the money, a Springfield Loaded. I'm not familiar with other SA type guns except the Beretta 92 (Navy pistol qualifications) and the Bersa Thunder I had a while back.

I'm just looking for any other suggestions for a very first gun, and making sure my recommendations are in line. By the way, she is a 20 year old college student with fairly small hands (not too small for the 1911). She shot my P-11 and hated it.

She shot my P-11 and hated it.
    Now we're into Glock territory! G26.....(thank me for it later). By the way..save my contact info...because if she goes for the G26, I'll send you (her) a smooth trigger for it NC. (I know...I'm already melting!) But the offer still stands.

VIP Member
    Ah a budding 1911 fan, best bet though would be to take her to a range that rents guns and let her try as many as she can, that way she can decide what is comfortable and accurate for her.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Links