Walther PPS instead of XD?

This is a discussion on Walther PPS instead of XD? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently own two handguns. A Springfield XD9 subcompact, and a Kel-Tec P3AT. I love my Springfield, and have never had a problem with it. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I currently own two handguns. A Springfield XD9 subcompact, and a Kel-Tec P3AT. I love my Springfield, and have never had a problem with it. I bought a crossbreed IWB holster and a crimson trace grip for it. My problem is I have a hard time concealing it on myself during the warmer half of the year. I am 5' 11" and 170 lbs and it sticks out on me when I wear just jeans or shorts and a t-shirt. Even in the winter, if I am indoors I have to leave my jacket on due to the pistol's thickness. Because of this, I recently bought the Kel-Tec, and after 300 rounds it has been 100% reliable, if not exactly comfortable to shoot. I am happy with it and carry every single day now, but I feel that it should be more of a backup type gun than something I carry as a primary weapon. I am not comfortable with how powerful the .380 is, and I can't find hollow points for it ANYWHERE.

I recently saw and read an article about the Walther PPS, and I was thinking about trading my XD in towards one, but until I actually get it in a holster and wear it I don't know if it will be that much easier to conceal. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or any other similar guns? I would like a 9mm. I am not comfortable with something much smaller like the .380 as my primary gun, and I like the affordability of ammunition for practice with a 9mm. Capacity isn't really an issue for me either. I think 7 rounds of 9mm is more than enough, and that an extra magazine is almost overkill. But I carry one anyway, just in case...

Lead Moderator
    I find my PPS is a great gun for summer concealment. I am 5'-10" and about 190 lb. I wear my PPS under t shirt usually appendix area in a home made custom kydex holster.
    Before the PPS I was concealing a 1911 SA Champ IWB, but it was a bit big in just shorts and a t for all day comfort. Before that I carried Taurus PT140 , but found it too thick for comfort.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Have you considered a S&W J-frame as a summer carry gun. My primary carry is a Glock 23, but like you I wanted something that would conceal better in warmer weather. I tried a 637 Airweight and couldnt be happier with it. I wear it with tight t-shirts in a c-tac IWB and cargo shorts and it totally disappears. I belive the .38 is an adequate load.
    I considered a Walther PPS, but to me it wasnt much different than carrying my G23. The J-frame is the perfect partner for my Glock.
    Attached Images
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I used to carry an XD sub compact - before transitioning to a full-sized 1911. My girlfriend currently carries a PPS and i've taken it a few things. That thing absolutely disappears under a t-shirt.
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

I love my PPS. It's hot where I live and it's easy to conceal either IWB or OWB with just shorts and a t-shirt. It's also been 100% reliable for me with all kinds of ammo. I've got about 700+ rounds through it total. If you go the PPS route I'm sure you will like it as well.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    At 165, 5'7", I can identify with you. You should give consideration to the line of Kahrs and 9mm. I have no experience with the Walther but it looks like a good carry.

The J frame is an option but only 5 shots? If I'm going to IWB carry i'm going to try and have at least 7 - 8 rounds of 9mm. If money is tight I would consider the Keltec PF9, then the Kahr CW9. But if you have the bucks I'd recommend the P9 (and yes I think it's worth the extra money). And if you're loaded :) consider the Springfield EMP.

150lbs 5'10" here, I have the PPS. It's excellent and easy to carry. I use an appendix holster also.
    Obama didn't get elected to warranty your muffler. He's here to warranty your life.

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smotta View Post
    I used to carry an XD sub compact - before transitioning to a full-sized 1911. My girlfriend currently carries a PPS and i've taken it a few things. That thing absolutely disappears under a t-shirt.
    I went from the Springfield XD9SC > S&W J-Frame > Kimber 1911 (currently).

I considered the PPS before buying a J-Frame. To answer your question about it being concealable... yes. 110% yes. That thing is thin as a rail (pardon the pun) and would disappear with a good holster. On the other hand...

I decided against the PPS for a couple reasons.

#1- As another DCer said, I do not like to be a guinea pig on my own nickel. The PPS is a relatively new gun and while most owners love theirs, it is nowhere near as reliable (using averages) as a J-Frame.

#2- The controls. The mag release is on the bottom portion of the trigger guard and frankly, I do not know if I would revert back to that feature well if I was in a gunfight. I would have to train with it... a lot.

#3- The price. They may have come down from when I was shopping but with a couple extra mags and maybe some night sights, you are looking at $800+. I bought a (barely) used 1911, loaded with options, for less than that.

The key thing I took away from all of this is how concealable a thin gun can be. Guys will look all day at how long the barrel is or other features, but frankly, I am a believer in the idea that the width is the #1-A issue in concealing a gun (other than the belt + holster combo).

My service model XD40 is tougher to conceal than my full-size Kimber 1911.

Get the PPS! My PPS makes my glock look like a fat pig. I love my glock but when shorts and t-shirt is uniform of the day the PPS just dissapears inside the waistband.
    Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    PPS. Although that new Taurus 709 looks pretty tasty too but no matter how hard Taurus tries it will never be Walther.

VIP Member
    I have a XD sub-compact also, mainly carry it during the winter and carry either my Detective special or my airlite during the summer. Sometimes I do carry the XD during the summer under a t-shirt and don't have any problems concealing it, I just wear a t-shirt that is a little looser than I would normally wear, no issue, and I'm 6'-0" and 175 lbs.

I have two of the PPS pistols. A 9mm that is my wife's carry gun and a 40 that is in my carry rotation (main EDC is a Sig 239). Both of my PPSs have been flawless from day one. Never a problem. I had a XD SC 40 and I had enough faith in it that my daughter now has it. They are excellent guns but I almost never carried mine. It just always seemed blocky and top heavy. BTW, I didn't force that gun on my daughter, she chose it of the six guns I let her shoot.

The PPS virtually disappears while carrying. I would suggest getting a holster that has some extra material at the bottom such as a closed bottom holster. The PPS has very little barrel forward of the trigger guard and with a holster that ends at the end of the barrel, they can be a bit grip heavy and uncomfortable, wanting to tilt outwards. Though I can't recommend them because of their extremely long wait times, I would recommend something like the Brigade Gunleather M-11, shown here with my Sig P245.

While I don't care for the mag release on the PPS, I don't view it as a detriment and my wife loves it. A positive of the mag release is that you will never find your gripping of the gun accidentally releasing your mag and leaving you with a single shot.

One reason I would suggest trying to shoot a PPS before you buy is the trigger. While others MMV, both of my PPSs are the same. It's difficult for me to describe the trigger pull other than to say it has a very short reset and when first firing mine, I had a couple of shots get away from me as I wasn't prepared for quick reset.

Below is a small chart I made up. It doesn't include the XD as Springfield doesn't list widths so you'll have to plug in your own numbers, but it may give you some help in comparing some of the other guns suggested with the PPS. MSRP numbers may not be currently correct for all models, but they were at the time I put that particular firearm in the chart.

Hoss

Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

A note on the mag release; I know there are many different ways to push it, but I like to use the middle finger on my strong hand. I leave my index finger extended along the frame above the trigger guard. Works well for me.

cmb
    the chart should help great job hoss, I have never shot the pps, though it is reminesent of my pf9 and the kahr. Both are more refined than the pf9. Tha kahr has a lot of following and seem to be very reliable. For the money if I was choosing between the kahr and the walther I would go kahr: the kahr is within 10% of the cost of the walther, the kahr could be a pocket gun also because iit smaller and lighter, kahr really broke new ground in this area...

I have a Glock 19 and a PPS and a J frame 442. While I so much want to have the capacity of the Glock, the concealability and comfort of the PPS is just so awesome. I have a FE 9MM, no problems. Keep them clean, they are a more ammo sensitive (close tolerances) than the Glock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links