I'm done with .380s

I'm done with .380s

This is a discussion on I'm done with .380s within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After three Kel-Tec 3ATs, two Ruger LCPs, and one Micro Desert Eagle I have made the decision to make my G26 and S&W 642 the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm done with .380s

I'm done with .380s

After three Kel-Tec 3ATs, two Ruger LCPs, and one Micro Desert Eagle I have made the decision to make my G26 and S&W 642 the only two CCWs I'll trust my life to. In addition to the .380 jams and and broken slides, etc. I've decided that I can carry either one of these weapons in my Smart Carry for days when I need to wear a tucked-in shirt and avoid 99 percent of printing issues. On most days I'll be able to wear a cover garment and one of several other holsters and on other occasions I'll wear the 5.11 tactical undershirt with the built in pouches for the 642 and a speed loader.

Those of us who have experience with lots of handguns can often generate all kinds of excuses to hang on to specific weapons because they look good, they hide easily, they have high(er) capacity, whatever. But, when the excuse for a misfire is ammo selection or 'limp wristing' I'm finally drawing the line for handguns that don't go bang when I pull the trigger.

Let's face it: by the time you get to some of the little .380s, you might not have a choice about whether or not you'll be limp wristing. You'll probably be damn glad you've got a trigger to squeeze. In my experience with the Glock and the 642, no matter how limp I shoot with either hand, the guns always fire.

I certainly gave the .380s lots of chances (and time and money and ammo and shipping bills) and I truly wish one of them worked as advertised, but it just wasn't to be.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

have problems with the micro caused your ultimate frustration? i mean to throw in the towel with .380s?

Has the Glock been as reliable as the 642?

I was thinking about buying a LCP, but you have me thinking about the Glock. Can you pocket carry it like your 642?

I traded my P3-AT because it was just too small for my hands but I really enjoy my Bersa Thunder .380 concealed carry model. I'd like an LCP but, again, don't think my hands would work with it. A shame because I hear it's a really good gun.
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Yes, the Micro problems sealed the deal (split slide just below the muzzle) and I can't say the 642 is more reliable than the Glock because the round counts are so different. I've probably got a couple thousand trouble-free rounds out of the G26 and I've only had the 642 a couple weeks ... maybe 50 rounds. However, everyone and I mean EVERYONE in my immediate circle who has shot the S&W J frames absolutely swears by them. So far, I see no reason to dispute their claims. I don't expect any problems whatsoever and I'm not going to mess with the trigger or anything else. As far as I'm concerned, this gun is never going to be opened up until I'm convinced it needs a total cleaning.

My wife has an LCP, but I too find it too small to fire comfortably. I can shoot it, but I don't enjoy it. She likes it because it is light and flat, and fits well into her belly band.

I agree with the OP - the Smartcarry holster really does make pocket pistols almost obsolete. And my experience is the same - small pocket pistols suffer from reliability issues more than their larger sub-compact cousins, like the Glock 26.

For true pocket carry, I would recommend a revolver. But...I would suggest a "real gun" in a Smartcarry over pocket carry any day.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I guess I can see how you feel. I have a P3AT and an LCP. Both are very reliable but truthfully, I worry about the effectiveness of the .380 round. I also have a Bersa .380 and it's fun to shoot but seriously, if you can carry a gun the size of the Bersa you can EASILY carry a 9mm.

I use my .380's for pocket carry at work where I CAN'T be made and I have to tuck my shirts.

My choice but I won't use a tuckable rig for a number of reasons. I've tried a 642 in a smart carry but found it uncomfortable and didn't like the lack of retention although honestly, I don't think the gun ever would have come out except when hitting the john.

So I adopted the 2 little .380 guns but I really worry about the caliber more so than the guns themselves.

And then you think about the ammo cost?!?!

I can relate!

Administrator
    Your negative Karma put a pox-like ju-ju jinx on all of your .380s.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Ok, send them to me!
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

i like what you have to say of your G26 mon! i just got one of those today! spent the money on the glock that i was gonna drop on a Micro DE, and in fact got a LCP today as well, a just-as-capable .380, i hope, yet to fire it.!

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I currently have two .380's, a SIG P-232 and a Walther PPK/S. I've shot both of them many times and have never had a problem with either. I've used all types and brands of ammo and they just eat it up. Maybe it has to do with quality of the guns you've been using. I will give a thumbs up on the Smith, never have known one to be troublesome. You might consider a 640.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I've mentioned this before on other threads, but the best investment I am making right now is regular competition at IDPA meets once a month (and hopefully more in the future).

Nothing gives a person more confidence than shooting the G26 under some stress in the morning with my IWB carry holster (Side Armor kydex) and then 'gaming' the course in the afternoon with my G34, which is also my home defense choice. Plus, sometimes the side match is the BUG ... which will be my 642.

I hope that by the end of the fall season I'll be closing in on better times, more accuracy and - hopefully - bumping up against the usual leaders in SSP and ESP.

I hope more folks decide to give them up.

Only so I can find some ammo!

.380's in a small frame/slide a bit powerful, and i think patience and waiting for 2nd gen varients is order. the Keltec P3AT's are there but i think mass production has allowed QC to slip a little.

My P32 is flawless (knock on wood) and its a 2nd or (3rd gen??) it handles very well, and for its size, i can put a whole mag in the base of the spine at 7yrds

Bobby
    ------------------------------------------------------
    ACT 235 Certified #45700

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    I personally Don't carry anything less than a 9mm. Have shot Keltecs and the Ruger LCP's. Great for up close and personal shooting, but just don't cut it for penetration and longer shots.

Little b******* also are no fun to shoot. The topper is the ridiculous prices on .380 ammo, which is way inferior to a 9mm or even a good .38 round.

JMO
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links