Defensive Carry banner

S&W 642 vs. Ruger LCP

18K views 32 replies 26 participants last post by  Saber 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone would have side by side size comparison pictures of these two pistols available? I would like to compare the dimensions. Thank you.

#2 ·
Do you really mean the Ruger LCP (clone of the KelTec P3AT), or are you thinking of the Ruger LCR, which is marketed directly against the S&W 642?

#31 ·
I agree, the S&W 642 is the "gold standard" for small CCW handguns and overall a much superior handgun than the LCP. I traded in my LCP for a PM9 by the way, and could not be happier I did.

#11 ·
For dedicated pocket carry, the 642 and LCP are light years apart. I'm not talking caliber or quality of firearm, just size and shape. The LCP is so flat and thin that it easily sits in a pocket with no printing. The 642 is more bulky and the cylinder bulge sticks out more and prints more unless you get a good pocket holster (and you should!) so the whole package is bigger and definitely heavier.

In Jeans I can easily see the backstrap of my 642 peaking out but that, of course, has a lot to do with your size and the size/depth of the pockets on your jeans.

I'd trust the .38 and the 642 100% more than I'd ever trust a .380 LCP but for pocketability, the LCP has it HANDS DOWN.

Now you have to weight the options and make the choices.

#12 ·
I own a 642 and owned a LCP, I carry the 642 often and traded the LCP on a Kahr PM9 and could not be happier I did. It may not be apples to apples but the J frame is far superior to the LCP IMO. Typically CCW is about trade-off.......size and weight and concealability or power and reliablity. Not one handgun fits all the mold, but one thing I will never trade-off on is reliability and the 642 is as close to 100 percent as they come for a small CCW handgun. Its the gold standard for a reason....its proven and reliable.

#13 ·
Typically CCW is about trade-off.......size and weight and concealability or power and reliablity. Not one handgun fits all the mold, but one thing I will never trade-off on is reliability and the 642 is as close to 100 percent as they come for a small CCW handgun.
exactly

#17 ·
You got that right. I shoot my 36 WAY more accurately than the Kel Teks and LCP's I've shot. Also love that loud boom when I pull the trigger EVERY time with the S&W. I actually like the extra weight as them lil semi's really whack your hand. Also like the fact that .38 ammo is much cheaper these days.

#16 ·
I want a 642 so bad!

#19 ·
Then the other problem rears its ugly head. The only 642 I would buy is one sans lock. I know you can remove the lock easily with tools I already own but the lock ruins the look of the revolver for me too.

#21 ·
I carry a 642 as EDC. I wear jeans and shorts a lot and have no problem. I wear relaxed fit in both. The cylinder is rounded and although it may show it shows as a curve, something expected at your thigh. In short the gun appears more natural to the body curves than the auto. I changed from .380s to the J-Frame because of the desire to pocket carry. The revolver disappears into the pocket better.

#23 ·
I pocket carry a 642 in my right front pocket in all types of shorts and pants, other then jeans, with no printing problem whatsoever.

The 642 is a great gun for concealed pocket carry. I carry all day in complete comfort.

#24 ·
Years from now, the j-frame S&W .38 spl (whatever the Model # is then) will still be a popular EDC when the Ruger LCR is a forgotten footnote to Ruger Collectors. No slam to the LCR, it's a nice innovation. But it'll never become a legendary, ubiquitous classic.

#25 ·
Whenever I carry my S&W 642, I always pocket carry it (in a pocket holster). Most times, I also carry my LCP weak side pocket just in case 5 rounds are not enough! If I had to carry only one, it would be the 642 because the revolver is about as reliable as a firearm can be, and 38 +p has a bit more convincing power than the 380.

#27 ·
I had a S&W 642 and currently own a Ruger LCP. I don't think you could honestly go wrong with either choice. The LCP is easier to carry in the pocket and has greater ammo capacity, 6+1 vs. 5. The 642 is chambered for a somewhat more powerful cartridge and is more tolerant of pocket lint and dirt. However there is one point that could tip the scales in favor of the 642 and that is availability of ammunition. Right now as it stands, you will probably find .38 Special easier than you will find any .380 acp. YMMV.

#29 ·
LCP hands down... Not much difference ballistically speaking and two more rounds and faster reloads. Both have their good points, but it boils down to Personal preference really.

#30 ·
I have pocket carried a Ruger SP-101 .357 and Ruger LCP. Definitely the LCP is lighter and flatter so hides a bit better I think.

I've also pocket carried my XD9sc in shorts all last summer and had no problem with it. There was a bulge no doubt, but with the DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster, it looked like a thick wallet and nothing like a pistol. I can't pocket carry the XD in jeans, but chino's and shorts are no problem.

The SP-101 and LCP do not even bulge when I pocket carry them.

Always pocket carry with a holster!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.