Shot my Para Warthog for the first time and it is now at the gunsmith....

This is a discussion on Shot my Para Warthog for the first time and it is now at the gunsmith.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Put a 50 round box of FMJ through it....at least 49 rounds. Had multiple FTFs and the 50th round would not fire and the slide ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shot my Para Warthog for the first time and it is now at the gunsmith....

Shot my Para Warthog for the first time and it is now at the gunsmith....

Put a 50 round box of FMJ through it....at least 49 rounds. Had multiple FTFs and the 50th round would not fire and the slide is jammed and will not rack back to release the round.
    Para was good, I e-mailed them and within 3 minutes my phone rang. Directed to take it to the gunsmith to clear the round and un-jam the slide then ship it back.

The accuracy of the rounds fired??? Damn impressive, 10 yards 1 inch to 2 inches. Some of the rounds visiting the same holes. Recoil??? What recoil, it is minor, trigger is one of the best stock triggers I have seen
    If I can straighten this gun out it will be an amazing carry gun.

2. Remove Ads

1-2" at 10 yards for a gun of that size should not be considered damn impressive, but more like nominal.

Personally, I would be more impressed with a gun that didn't have multiple FTF and a jammed up slide. It doesn't matter how accurate a carry gun is if it has crap for reliability...which is exactly what you are describing.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

That is why it is at the gunsmith. The bugs will be worked out and it will be what it is a great gun. The Oversized extractor and the comp trigger is what should be on all semi autos. They built it right and I expected the FTF. Wolf springs should cure that..But the slide....that is a horse of a different color. Due to these being made by men, assembled by men....sometimes you get a lemon...look at Ford...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DEC View Post
    That is why it is at the gunsmith. The bugs will be worked out and it will be what it is a great gun. The Oversized extractor and the comp trigger is what should be on all semi autos. They built it right and I expected the FTF. Wolf springs should cure that..But the slide....that is a horse of a different color. Due to these being made by men, assembled by men....sometimes you get a lemon...look at Ford...
    Take it back and get a new one, don't struggle with a potential lemon. I am sure it's a great gun enjoy a proper working one.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

They built it right and I expected the FTF. Wolf springs should cure that...
    Sorry, but I couldn't help but laugh quite heartily at those seemingly contradictory statements.

So, just to clarify, do you define "built right" as "built to malfunction, and in need of corrective aftermarket springs?" That's how I interpreted the statement anyway...

I'm confused... But that's neither here nor there... I'm glad that you are happy w/ it (?)...

I sincerely hope that Para gets the FTF's corrected and that you successfully run several hundred rds through it before you even think of carrying it, though...

Let us know how it works out.

Regards,

Bones
    Last edited by JoeyBones; July 22nd, 2009 at 10:47 PM. Reason: grammar
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein

Be sure to post again after the 'repairs'...sorry about your situation...hope it gets better.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have never in my life had any firearm I ever owned have numerous FTF in a 50 round box and lock the slide up,I'm glad whoever built your gun isn't building airplanes
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have heard this kind of horror story about Paras too many times. It's the reason I bought a Colt Defender. Good luck, I hope Para makes it right for you. Keep us up dated.
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

I have been in touch with Ray Kowalski at Para. As stated he called within 3 minutes of sending my initial contact e-mail. This is going back and a new one will roll out. But I can tell you this is a good gun. When they built it they did it right. The only way to get a better trigger and grouping gun is to put MORE $$$ in it after purchase.

Bones ever buy a car and it was a POS? Dosen't make everyone the company makes a POS now does it? Correct as with anything man puts his hands on, they make mistakes and fit is not just right. All it takes it a mill machine or bore to be off 1,000th off and it is snafu. Are all pieces thrown out that mistakes are made during manufacturing? NO. Being a engineer and supervising projects over many years. Some will toss a bad piece in their basket to get paid for it regardless of quality...Human element mentioned.

I will continue to carry the Colt in my avatar until It can be counted on. If it dosen't reach that point...it has a Lifetime warrenty.

Edited to add. I will report on anything found and next trip to the range will post pics before after and during

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Please keep us updated. The Warthog is on my short list for consideration once I get a new job and have some darn money again!

Good luck!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

The only way to get a better trigger and grouping gun is to put MORE $$$ in it after purchase
    Actually, you CAN. Ed Brown and Les Baer make guns that I consider the most desirable in the 'high-end' 1911 milieu. I like my Super Hawg, but I love my Ed Brown Special Forces Carry...

http://www.edbrown.com/cgi-bin/htmlo...73595872999443

Then again, the pricing is quite different from most Para's offerings, so in a sense, your post is reasonably accurate.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Bones ever buy a car and it was a POS? Dosen't make everyone the company makes a POS now does it?
    That's EXACTLY the reason I will NEVER, EVER spend another dime of my family's money on a Chrysler product. I had a POS minivan, traded it in on a POS Intrepid.

I don't care what they sell and for what price. Never. Again.

What are you putting through it? My son has a Para. It's not a Warthog, but the compact model which preceded it. He Had similar problems, but only when shooting the 230 grn FMJ rounds. With hollowpoints it functioned perfectly.. The problem occurred mainly with WWB 230 FMJ, but also happened with other rounds too. He finally determined that the FMJ was slightly longer than the hollowpoints and tended to slip out of the magazine, leading to the pistol trying to feed two rounds at the same time, causing it to jam.

I hate to burst your bubble...but I wouldn't bet that the new one will be any better..I have went thru 2 brand new Para's that were defective out of the box...ftf's, jams and brass hit me squarely between the eyes. It will also cost you around $70 to ship it back to Para and they will not reimburse you for it either.... their customer service is very lacking... I will never spend another dime on one of their products...I really wanted them to work...but I still hear the customer service managers voice in my head saying that "Para is not in the habit of giving things away" when I asked for help with the $70 shipping on a brand new defective gun...the first one I couldn't shoot 4 mags thru it.... the second one would lock up while trying to chamber a round... bought 2 colts after that and not a single problem...

I hope Para gets your right. By the way, have you driven a Ford lately?
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links