XD9SC vs XD9 Service

This is a discussion on XD9SC vs XD9 Service within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Kahr PM9 for carry but wanted to get a 9mm all-around gun. I was thinking of the glock 19 until I stumbled ...

View Poll Results: Which XD?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • XD9 Service (4inch)

35 50.00%
  • XD9 SubCompact (2inch)

35 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XD9SC vs XD9 Service

XD9SC vs XD9 Service

I have a Kahr PM9 for carry but wanted to get a 9mm all-around gun. I was thinking of the glock 19 until I stumbled upon the XDs. Although I am a glock fan, I think the XD really has topped the glock. So as I started to check the XD options out, I noticed that SF's sizing is a little bit different with the 4in XD9 coming in at 7.3in while the XD9XC is 6.3in, quite a bit difference as compared to the G19/G26 specs. I would like to hear form you which you would prefer and why? Part of me feels that the SC holds 10 rounds and that should be more than plenty so why buy more gun, then the other side of me wants the extra capacity but scared that the 7.3 in is not compact in anyway whatsoever. Other concerns are recoil difference between the two, shootability, and accuracy. Thoughts?

Edit - meant 3in in the poll

2. Remove Ads

I have and XD40sc. It is by far the most accurate and comfortable sub compact I have ever shot with. I have seen posts on the XD forum were some claim that the SC is more accurate than the service model.
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

forget accuracy. any of the guns will be more accurate than you will under the pressure of a gunfight. While I wouldn't mind the extra oomph from an extra inch on the barrel, I stand by my choice of the subcompact XD because the shorter grip (with the short mags) means I can conceal it easier and thus have it on me more often.

Oh, and I'm pretty certain the XD9SC has a 3.1 inch barrel
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    Since you have the Kahr, I'd go for a XD 4" service, unless your thinking of trading the Kahr in, then you could get both and have a pair that operate the same.

There is a compact model with a shorter grip with the 4in barrel. You can still use the 16rd mag's with the XD sleeve.

I have a service I just picked up and i am considering taking a dremel to it to make it a Compact.

Quote Originally Posted by nlghthawk View Post
    There is a compact model with a shorter grip with the 4in barrel. You can still use the 16rd mag's with the XD sleeve.

I have a service I just picked up and i am considering taking a dremel to it to make it a Compact.
    Oh don't do that! I have never seen one cut down by the owner that looked good!

An sub-compacts have a 3 inch barrel. I vote for the sub-compact if you plan on it being you EDC gun

i vote SC between the two as well if you plan to carry it pretty often. since you say 'all around gun' tho i would at least suggest checking out the 4" compact model mentioned by nighthawk.

this is just my pref, but for me width and grip length are really the biggest CCW considerations. width for comfort and some degree conceal-ability and grip length mainly for conceal-ability. cant adjustments help but a short grip is nice and hidey!

as pointed out you can also use reg size mags and functionally make it a service size.

to me the barrel length is less important in conceal-ability but im 6'5"/215lb so i dont start sweating the barrel unless its long enough to get swervy when i sit down. a 4"er woudlnt really be a problem for me.

as far as smaller/shorter pistols being more accurate. maybe from an individual basis purely on the natural fit and comfort, but from the standpoint of barrel length and sight radius the conventional wisdom would obviously stack at least slightly the other way. i dont mean to say that hand size is the determining factor either. could just be comfort in the head. i find myself shooting my PPS better with the shortest mag where i can only get two fingers wrapped. go figure. all this rambling is just to say 'who knows' and what im surprised hasnt been said already: go shoot them both if you can first.

sup knuckledragr looks like were neighbors.

EDIT: if you lean towards the 4" service check out the XDm. i carry an XDm9 fairly often in a supertuck and its no prob for me.
    kinda sucky of me to push two weapons that you arent even asking about. do what you think is best for you.

The reasons I chose the XD 9 SC is that it is easy to conceal, and very accurate.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    In my experience, the SC is the best of both worlds. The smaller size makes concealment easier. It shoots just as naturally as the larger model.

Whenever someone shoots my SC for the first time, they inevitably say, "I love how this shoots."
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

VIP Member
    If you go with the XD sub-compact, Pearce grips makes an extension for the 10 round magazine that allows a full grip on the gun. I purchase two additional 9 round mags for my XDsc.40 and rarely carry the full size mag, as I can slip the 9 rounder in my weak side front pocket.

If you plan to keep the Kahr on your person, I figured the full size might be a more useful option. If it's not gonna be a CCW, you can take advantage of the full size's sight radius, muzzle velocity, control, etc. for applications like home defense, range time, intruducing new shooters to the game, IDPA and IPSC competitions, and strapping into a vehicle holster for easy access when your CCW may not be quick enough. Good luck and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
    Part of me feels that the SC holds 10 rounds and that should be more than plenty so why buy more gun
    Springfield is now selling 13-round 9mm mags that fit flush like the 10-round mags.

then the other side of me wants the extra capacity
    If you buy a subcompact, you get all the capacity of the service version simply by changing mags to the 16-rounder. The grip of the subcompact with the 16-round mag is virtually identical to the grip of the service. You gain significant concealability by using the short mag in the SC, instead of using the long grip of the service.

but scared that the 7.3 in is not compact in anyway whatsoever.
    It isn't a compact. It can be concealed, but not as easy as the compact.

Other concerns are recoil difference between the two, shootability, and accuracy. Thoughts?
    I have the 9mm XD subcompact and a friend has the 9mm XD service (4" barrel). I have shot them both side by side.

Recoil difference: I did not notice any.

Shootability: I shot from 5-25 yards, and I did not notice any difference. I expected to shoot better at longer distances with the service, but my results did not bear that out.

Accuracy: I did not notice any difference. My SC is extremely accurate. I don't need any more accuracy than it offers unless I'm shooting at extreme distances, and then I should be using a rifle instead of a handgun.

Concealability: the subcompact wins hands down, no comparison. Except for one extra inch on the barrel (which I found made no difference in shooting), I can turn the subcompact into a service. I cannot turn a service into a subcompact.

If you intend to conceal this gun, there will probably be times when the extra mag length of the service will print whereas the short grip of the SC (with short mag) will not print. If concealability is important to you, I see no reason to buy the service.

Quote Originally Posted by knuckledragr View Post
    An sub-compacts have a 3 inch barrel. I vote for the sub-compact if you plan on it being you EDC gun
    Yep. No 2" barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by nolt View Post
    if you lean towards the 4" service check out the XDm. i carry an XDm9 fairly often in a supertuck and its no prob for me.
    I agree. The XDM9 is only 1/2" longer than the XD service.

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    If you go with the XD sub-compact, Pearce grips makes an extension for the 10 round magazine that allows a full grip on the gun.
    Pearce grips are great for the short mags. They extend the grip a bit, but not near as much as the 16-round mags. I think I paid $8 each for mine. Well worth it.

The only way I'd buy an XD service 9mm is if I got a screaming deal. Otherwise I'd either buy a subcompact or an XDM.

VIP Member
    Pearce grips are great for the short mags. They extend the grip a bit, but not near as much as the 16-round mags. I think I paid $8 each for mine. Well worth it.

Agreed Grady, not as good as the full size mag, but much better than the small mag without them.

I have an XD9SC that I'm happy with -- but I'm happier with my Taurus 745. It's more concealable than the XD, with less kick, in 45 caliber.

I generally carry a Kahr PM9 as a backup.

VIP Member
    Go with the SC for sure..
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links