Mailing a gun?

Mailing a gun?

This is a discussion on Mailing a gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm sending my Kahr PM9 back into the factory to have them look it. My question is, what is the proper means of sending a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mailing a gun?

Mailing a gun?

I'm sending my Kahr PM9 back into the factory to have them look it. My question is, what is the proper means of sending a firearm through the mail? I know it has to be overnighted. Can I mail it, or do I have to have an FFL do it? I live in Texas, if state requirements vary. Any help would be appreciated.

I wasn't sure where to list this thread, so if this isn't correct feel free to move it moderator.
    Our kindness may be the most persuasive argument for that which we believe.

-Gordon B. Hinckley-

VIP Member
    Go to the UPS store, they'll help you out.

When I had to mail my Glock 23 back to the manufacturer I had to go to a UPS distribution center (basically similar to the post office for US mail) and pay for overnight shipping. Roundabout $50 if I remember correctly.

I tried taking it to Fedex/Kinko's but they wouldn't ship it. Same problem with one of those local "we ship it" places.

Good luck with the repair!
    CZ P-06
    Glock 23 OD with CT laser
    S&W 642

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    You have to use UPS or FedEx and it has to go overnight. YOU CAN NOT mail a gun through US Mail. The exception is that you may be able to with an FFL but I know you can't if you don't have an FFL.

FedEx and UPS usually won't accept a gun at a "in-retail store" type place, say a UPS drop off point in a Staples store. I just mailed a gun and went to the FedEx web site and searched for drop off locations near me. I found one listed about 15 minutes away that is "staffed" by FedEx and isn't in another store. It cost me $56 to ship my gun overnight Their prices have obviously gone up over the last 12 months or so.

Some folks will take it to a Kinkos' or other drop off points and not tell them it's a gun. They'll say it's machine parts or something else I recommend you don't do that. If the gun is stolen or something else happens I think that little deception could back fire terribly.

Note that even the so called "UPS" stores don't typically handle gun or hazardous shipments so call ahead and check to save you time.

Part of the expense is insuring the shipment. Be sure to get enough insurance to cover new replacement. I typically insure them for $100 over the total cost of replacement plust tax just to be sure I can really replace the weapon.

That's basically it besides the obvious, don't ship ammo! And pack them well.

Take your pistol and wallet to a UPS or FedEx 'center'...they'll take care of everything else.
    Pretty simple...but do it legally!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Your local FFL can use UPS and FED EX cheaper than you can and can also use the USPS, which is the cheapest way to ship. It all depends on what your FFL will charge to do this. It may end up being the same as doing it yourself, depending on his "handling fee". Sometimes my FFL will ship for just the cost of postage vis USPS which is about $10 for a handgun.

If you use a common carrier such as Fed Ex, then Kahr can ship the repaired gun directly back to your home... adult signature required.

VIP Member
    No mailing a gun via the U S Postal Service. I'm afraid some might confuse UPS the privately owned company, with the US Postal Service.

It is illegal to use the Postal Service.

You can ship to an FFL (e.g., the manufacturer) and they can ship back to you, just not through the Postal Service.

I like FedEx. For something as "sensitive" as a gun use overnight delivery, get the tracking number, and make sure you know where the package is at several different points during the trip; and that it arrives at the company.

It is a long time now since I had one returned to me through FedEx, but I seem to recall the FFL had a way of instructing FedEx to deliver only to the addressee and only to an adult. They let me know when it went to Fed EX for overnight, so I could be home to accept delivery the next day.

The last thing you want is that package left at your door, given to a child, given to your felon of a brother in-law.

VIP Member
    I just did this so I can answer you with first hand knowledge. I used Fed-Ex, they will ship firearms via Overnight delivery only. You will have to go to an actual Fed-Ex shipping center, not a kiosk at an office supply, but an actual Fed-Ex building. A route driver should also be able to take it, if you have prepaid for the shipping. You must inform them that there is a firearm inside the package, and be sure to double check and make sure it's unloaded, as they will x-ray the package. You don't need to use an FFL, at least I didn't as I was sending the gun back to the manufacturer, and while I haven't received the gun back from S&W yet, they are able to send it back directly to you via the same overnight delivery.

Company policies of UPS and FedEx are handguns overnight for non-FFL shippers, 2nd Day Air for FFLs.

If using UPS, use the Next Day Air Saver service. It's afternoon delivery instead of morning and will save a bit of money compared to the normal Next Day Air.

Quote Originally Posted by punk rocka View Post
    You must inform them that there is a firearm inside the package
    That is company policy, not law.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    That is company policy, not law.
    Sorry When I used the word 'must' it was in reference to the fact that if you want the package to get delivered, they need to know there is a firearm inside the box and if you don't tell them ahead of time, they will create all sorts of fuss when they find it, which will delay the delivery. Al least that is what the people at Fed-Ex told me when I was dropping my gun off to send back to S&W.

Tubby,
    Actually it is Federal law that you must disclose to any common carrier that the package contains a firearm.
    And by 'firearm' they mean the serial numbered frame or receiver.
    Even a totally stripped frame is legally the firearm.

And could you provide verifiable info concerning 2nd day shipping being allowed for FFL's?

Quote Originally Posted by pistolwretch View Post
    Tubby,
    Actually it is Federal law that you must disclose to any common carrier that the package contains a firearm.
    Oh really?

And could you provide verifiable info concerning 2nd day shipping being allowed for FFL's?
    It's not published.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

From the BATFE website:
    ATF Online - Firearms FAQs

"(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]"

VIP Member
    Tubby,
    And by 'firearm' they mean the serial numbered frame or receiver.
    Even a totally stripped frame is legally the firearm.

When I was returning my pistol to S&W, they mailed me a prepaid Fed-Ex shipping label to use. It was a 2 day shipping label. When I went into the Fed-Ex facility, I informed them that the package had a handgun in it and they refused to use the shipping method and remade the label for overnight. So I guess S&W also thinks that 2 day service to FFL's is acceptable, but your local shipper may not know, or care, if that is the case. I didn't argue the point since they just charged the shipping back to S&W, I figure they can take it up with Fed-Ex if they care enough.

From the BATFE website:
    ATF Online - Firearms FAQs

"(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]"
    Read the ATF letter that clarifies they are wrong about the FAQ you quoted above. The letter contains the exact wording from the statute in question. They haven't changed the FAQ response since the letter came out.

Where in that law does it say it is a requirement to notify the shipper it contains a firearm? Not the FAQ, the LAW. Good luck with it.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links