Recommendations on "Cerami-cote" from Cylinder & Slide

This is a discussion on Recommendations on "Cerami-cote" from Cylinder & Slide within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Need some recommendations and opinions. I'm thinking of having my Kahr MK9's grip checkered and then to have the gun finished in a black finish. ...

Thread: Recommendations on "Cerami-cote" from Cylinder & Slide

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Need some recommendations and opinions. I'm thinking of having my Kahr MK9's grip checkered and then to have the gun finished in a black finish.

I've looked around a LOT and found very few folks who can/will/have done 30lpi checkering on the front strap of an MK9. I did find Cylinder and Slide who does a lot of work on Kahrs. They can do the checkering but then there's the matter of finishing.

I'm thinking of getting the gun finished because I like an all black finish. Cylinder and Slide uses an epoxy backed on finish they call "cerami-cote". It seems to be the same as "CeraKote" but I'm not sure.

So I'm wondering if any of you have this finish from Cylinder & Slide and what your feedback is about it? I'd also welcome thoughts about refinishing a gun in general other than just personal likes.

I like stainless but really like the all black finish, but lets face it, stainless is great because you can alway bead blast it when it's all scratched up and old and walla, a new looking gun. On the other hand if you have it refinished and it gets old and scratched up, you have to refinish it again.

So just looking for some input. I've attached a link to the Cylinder & Slide site where you can click to see a 1911 they refinished in their cerami-cote finish but you can't tell too much from the pic.

I'm also trying to order a K9 and I'm thinking of doing the same thing to it. The cost seems reasonable, about $200 for the checkering and $220 for the refinish. Don't know if you get a break doing them together.

The other option is to get the checkering and then have the pistol bead blast finished. I love how bead blast stainless looks.

If you have a picture of a refinished or bead blasked MK9 or K9 or any other stainless gun, I'd love to see it!

Thanks all!

Cerami-Cote Satin Graphite Black Entire Pistol - includes 2 magazines

$220 for the refinish sounds awfully high. All my carry guns are bead blasted stainless.
    Here's a bead blasted stainless over titanium blue CeraKote...
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    AZ ....who did your work? cool pic
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    That's a beautifull 1911. I especially like the work on corners of the grip where the frame was bobbed!!!

I think the refinishing price may be a tad high due to the name recognition of Cylinder and Slide...and thanks for posting the pick. I too love bead blast finish.

Ultimately I want to own a S&W 640-1 revolver and have it bead blasted

Sponsored Links