Range & Carry Report - Kahr PM9

This is a discussion on Range & Carry Report - Kahr PM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All, I have been carrying my LCP for my pocket pistol choice for about 6 months now ande decided today to give my old ...

Thread: Range & Carry Report - Kahr PM9

Range & Carry Report - Kahr PM9

Hello All,

I have been carrying my LCP for my pocket pistol choice for about 6 months now ande decided today to give my old PM9 another shot. I bought the Kahr in 2003 and used to carry it pocket (front cargo or inside motorcycle jacket in the winter) but somehow talked myself out of carrying it more based on what others had experienced than what I had. I understand there was a recall or too on my series but I never sent it back as I had no reason to in the past.

So today I went to the range with it. It has had, prior to today, approximatly 500 rounds thorugh it. Today I shot a 3 ammo mix of 89 rounds, as follows:

50 rounds - CCI Blazer 115 gr. FMJ
    26 rounds - American Eagle 115 gr. FMJ
    13 rounds - Winchester PP 147 gr. JHP

I shot both magazines, so I alternated from 6 to 7 shot mags, and alternated with all 3 ammo's.

I know 89 rounds isnt a bunch to some, but I had 100% feed, not one issue with any mag not staying open on last shot or any problems with anything else. I thought the Win. ammo might have issues since the bullet is so narrow and "sharp" in appearance but the 13 I fed it with both mag's did fine.

So, I seek the comfort of 9MM over 380 (not ignoring the ammo availability issue) and want to go back to my Kahr.....for now!

Also, I am posting a picture of the target and the gun with holster for pocket carry. Note: The target was fixed at 8 yards (I am not the best shot I know), but of the first 32 shots I had all 32 on the target, in a comfortable self defense pattern, with relatively quick shooting, which is more than I can say with LCP or my wife's 642 S&W.

The holster is kydex with a nice curve to it to match the curve of your leg and has a thumb break, though you dont really need it. I also tried a UM pocket holster but this one is a bit slimmer and more comfortable as a result.

"I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

2. Remove Ads

cmb
    seems you do pretty well with it, how does it carry in the pocket pertaining to weight and such?

By the way I carry black spray pain in my range bag, I shoot these targets, push the paper back from the holes and whot them again, this works for about 3-4 go arounds, lengthens their life... also works better when you shoot them with small calibers first...

Good shooting, sound like this is the gun for you!

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Good report! I carry a MK9 from time to time and enjoy the size. And that's decent shooting for such a light weight 9 with only a 2 finger grip!

I found the checkering on the polymer Kahrs to be kind of rough/sharp so on my P9 I use an "Agrip" and that makes it more comfortable and more controllable, how about you? Does the PM9 have much muzzle flip?

Thanks for posting

The weight is fine for me, not as light as my LCP (what really is) but about the same IMO as my wife's 642 and I just am a better shot with it so I have that comfortablility factor.

Great idea on the paint, I will have to try that. The targets are pricey so that should help alot, thanks.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Good report! I carry a MK9 from time to time and enjoy the size. And that's decent shooting for such a light weight 9 with only a 2 finger grip!

I found the checkering on the polymer Kahrs to be kind of rough/sharp so on my P9 I use an "Agrip" and that makes it more comfortable and more controllable, how about you? Does the PM9 have much muzzle flip?

Thanks for posting
    You are welcome, I see such great range reports that I was hopeful I could repay some of the other posters. I really do not mind the muzzle flip, it is less than my LCP or at least I perceive to be less due to a bit of a better grip. It feels strange to shoot it with the 7 round extended mag after using the shorter 6 round mag, and I carry it with the 6 round mag so honestly, once you shoot a few mags through it, you get used to it. I find it to be manageable, very much so.

Links