Gun Upgrade/Sheep Conversion- What would you do?

This is a discussion on Gun Upgrade/Sheep Conversion- What would you do? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, I have been carrying for nearly a year. My first EDC was a Taurus PT-111 Mil. Pro 9mm. I loved the gun at ...

Thread: Gun Upgrade/Sheep Conversion- What would you do?

Gun Upgrade/Sheep Conversion- What would you do?

Hey all,

I have been carrying for nearly a year. My first EDC was a Taurus PT-111 Mil. Pro 9mm. I loved the gun at first (being my first handgun I had ever purchased). When I first started carrying, I was out to lunch with my wife and a friend, and she mentioned that I got my CWP (something I have talked to her about since, and that she no longer volunteers in conversation). The friend is a good guy. A sheep, but not anti. He now however has told us he is getting his CWP, and has a class next week (no longer a sheep! Yeah!!). He had first told this to my wife, who had explained that I might be interested in selling my Taurus.

My wife, this past Feb. bought me a Glock 30, which I LOVE. Since I have had it, and compared it's reliability, construction, ease of care and accuracy I now HATE my Taurus. I have a hard time getting any kind of accuracy with the Taurus after I have shot the Glock. I hate the Heinie sights, and I hate the trigger pull. The gun stays in my safe on my dresser, so my wife has access to it if she is home alone.

I bought the gun for $369, but found it shortly after for $300, and it is still available here for that price. I talked to my friend about selling it to him for $200 with a magazine holster, and he seems keenly interested. It has about 750 rounds through it, and has not had any FTF. It goes bang when the trigger is squeezed.

As I ponder the decision, I wonder if it's stupid to get rid of a gun, versus just adding to my collection? If I sell it, the $200 will go towards a new Glock 26 but at $550ish, I'll have to save up for it (33 year old college student) and it'll leave my wife defenseless when I am away from the house.

Opinions?
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

2. Remove Ads

If you really do dislike the thing, then sell it off. It sounds like you are dissatisfied with it, and if you can't get the accuracy with it you won't be taking it to the range anyway.

I personally couldn't get my 24/7 Pro off my hands hands fast enough, I hated that pile of junk.

Congrats on converting a friend, do you think him knowing you got yours helped him decide to get his?

As I read your post, if you sell the Taurus you'd either have to leave your Glock at home so your wife has some protection or carry your Glock and leave your wife defenseless. Given only these two options, I'd keep the Taurus since it has been reliable, whether you like it or not.

As another option, you could sell the Taurus and use the $200 toward a good HD shotgun like a Mossberg Persuader or Remington 870 Express. You'd only have to cough up a hundred or so extra dollars for the shotgun and it's, IMO, a better HD firearm than the Taurus.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    As I read your post, if you sell the Taurus you'd either have to leave your Glock at home so your wife has some protection or carry your Glock and leave your wife defenseless. Given only these two options, I'd keep the Taurus since it has been reliable, whether you like it or not.

As another option, you could sell the Taurus and use the $200 toward a good HD shotgun like a Mossberg Persuader or Remington 870 Express. You'd only have to cough up a hundred or so extra dollars for the shotgun and it's, IMO, a better HD firearm than the Taurus.

Hoss

well now there's someone talking sense. If you don't have a HD shotgun, that would be a good way to get into one.

If I didn't have a plan to immediately get another gun for the wife, I would not sell the only gun she has available to her.

How will you feel if after you leave her without a gun, your home is broken into when you are not at home, and something bad happens to her?

You may be planning to get her something right away, but you didn't mention it in your post.

Under no circumstances would I leave her without a gun. Your friend can shop for himself and perhaps find a better fit for him than your Taurus anyway. If he really likes your Taurus, he can buy the identical model somewhere else.

1. Keep the wife armed.

2. Then consider helping a friend, as long as #1 is taken care of.

What are your wife's thoughts about the Taurus? Does she hate it? Is there something else she would prefer?

If she doesn't like it but is still willing to use it, I would keep it until you have the money in hand to trade for something she likes more.

I would not disarm my wife, even for a short time, unless she was losing her way mentally or was pointing a gun at me.

VIP Member
    trade it in on another firearm, a revolver perhaps, J frame as a BUG maybe?

Why not sell the gun and search for a used Glock-26?
    They can have a half-million miles on them and they are just broken in...

I'd sell it and get a used 'G'...there have been some on this forum from time to time.
    Perhaps a S&W snubbie in .38 for the home.
    You might even consider a KelTec .380, which can always be used as a BUG.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It's never a bad idea to move-up & move-on. It's been my experience that when I've grown to hate a gun (it was a Taurus too) I haven't wanted to subject my wife (and potential HD back-up) to the pistol's short-comings either! Our partners deserve better than our cast-off handguns. Get her to a range with a bunch of options. Let her discover what she likes & shoots best. THEN trade the PT111 for...that! You'll both be happier in the long run.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Keep the Taurus for now. In the mean time, save up the extra $350 needed for the Glock 26. When you have the $350 saved, the Taurus will still be able to bring at least the same $200 it can bring now and you can immediately get the Glock 26. Nobody is left unarmed, everyone is happy in the end.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I would keep it until you can replace it for her. My wife has a little Bersa, but she is FAR more apt to go for the Remington 870 if there is a problem.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Links