First time at the range with the Ruger LCR

This is a discussion on First time at the range with the Ruger LCR within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got back from the range. It was the first time I shot my three day old Ruger LCR. I put 100 rounds of wad ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time at the range with the Ruger LCR

Just got back from the range. It was the first time I shot my three day old Ruger LCR. I put 100 rounds of wad cutters down range. I have to say, this gun is amazing! The recoil, while not non-existent, is not terrible. The trigger is very smooth and extremely easy to find the break point (almost like shooting single action). The sight radius is terrific. I was able to keep a 2.5" group at 35'. I shot a S&W 642 a week or so ago and I can honestly say, the Ruger beats it hands down in every aspect (and I'm a die hard S&W guy).

jbs
    keep an eye out for gas burning in the frame. Some it seems don't fit as tight as they should and the frame will melt from the pressure. I've read about a couple LCR's that this happened to and I know Ruger replaced one but no recall that i know of as yet. I've also read of alot of pleased owners with no problem in that area.
    Nice little revolver.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I held one in the store the other day. It did seem to have a nice trigger and feels lighter than my 642 but the grip/frame combination made if feel larger than the 642 and the LOP was a tad larger. Not sure if I could like it or not. I can't say that I like how it looks but it may be one of those guns that grows on you and after awhile you might think it's beautiful. I'd love to fire one sometime!

Glad you enjoyed yours!!!

Congrats! Keep us posted. This is a gun that is on my radar as a strong possibility in the future. Just as long as they stand the test of time.

Nice to hear you like your LCR...to me they look like just like my P-3AT...shoot about the same, and cost a little more, but we all have our favorites.

Stay armed...enjoy that LCR...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skot View Post
    Congrats! Keep us posted. This is a gun that is on my radar as a strong possibility in the future. Just as long as they stand the test of time.
    +1... on my lookout list too
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Wow, I'm actually surprised they haven't recalled it yet. Maybe I'm to premature.

jgp
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Nice to hear you like your LCR...to me they look like just like my P-3AT...shoot about the same, and cost a little more, but we all have our favorites.

Stay armed...enjoy that LCR...stay safe!
    Nah, you may be thinking of the LCP. This is the LCR:
    Ruger LCR™ *Double Action*Revolvers

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    The LCR still has a very long way to go before it can be mentioned in the same breath with the J frames. Lets see how they are holding up in a year or so.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    The LCR still has a very long way to go before it can be mentioned in the same breath with the J frames. Lets see how they are holding up in a year or so.
    I'm not so sure about that...

I had a few .38 rounds to get rid of from having a S&W 642, now sold. Went to the range after work today to rent a .38 to burn off these last rounds and lo and behold they had an LCR for rent!

I grabbed that and have to say I'm VERY impressed with this little snubbie. The trigger was wide and had very similar feel like a Kahr or my P239 DAK; smooth and not too heavy. It made that S&W trigger feel like a 100lb pull.

The recoil didn't seem as harsh as my 642 and it felt very well made overall. All in all, I have to say I thought Ruger did a very good job and they are going to sell a bazillion!

I may have to get one to go along with my LCP now...

Dang! Why did I have to go sell off my 1,000 rounds of .38? I may have to start all over again.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    I'm not so sure about that...

I had a few .38 rounds to get rid of from having a S&W 642, now sold. Went to the range after work today to rent a .38 to burn off these last rounds and lo and behold they had an LCR for rent!

I grabbed that and have to say I'm VERY impressed with this little snubbie. The trigger was wide and had very similar feel like a Kahr or my P239 DAK; smooth and not too heavy. It made that S&W trigger feel like a 100lb pull.

The recoil didn't seem as harsh as my 642 and it felt very well made overall. All in all, I have to say I thought Ruger did a very good job and they are going to sell a bazillion!

I may have to get one to go along with my LCP now...

Dang! Why did I have to go sell off my 1,000 rounds of .38? I may have to start all over again.
    It still has to prove its self not only as a new workable design but as a reliable time tested CCW weapon. It takes many years to build the solid rep for reliability the J frames enjoy. I certainly am glad Ruger is producing this gun because compitition is good in this segment but the little Ruger has its work cut out for it and only time will tell.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I agree with several points here. Mainly in saying that the LCR has not been around long enough to really compare it with the J-frame S&W the ruger will still have to stand the test of time. I am waiting myself to see if they do a recall on this gun. I would not be shocked if we hear about one in the near future.
    Kimber Ultra CDP 2
    Sam Andrews Macdaniel 2 holster
    Sam Andrews Monarch Rig
    Glock 27 backup weapon
    S&W 642 .38 airweight
    NRA member

I plan on being on of those bazillion purchasers of the LCR, thanks for the report....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Smile

I was initially skeptical of jumping right in with the LCR but did so for my daughter. It is a really nice shooting snubby. We have about 120 rounds through it so far and no issues. At some point you have to trust the manufacturer to stand behind their product which is what I have done.

Armydad

Come on guys...I like anyone else, loves new technology, and love a American Company stepping out to make something new.,...but it is less than one year, let them prove themselves before we "bet our life" on their product....I am shocked that anyone would jump on the bandwagon befopre some history before betting our life on their product....geez!!!!!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links