10mm carry ?

10mm carry ?

This is a discussion on 10mm carry ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought a new Delta Elite 10mm and am considering choosing a medium weight bullet for a carry load and using the gun for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10mm carry ?

10mm carry ?

I just bought a new Delta Elite 10mm and am considering choosing a medium weight bullet for a carry load and using the gun for occassional concealed carry. I carry my 5" Springfield Loaded .45 occassionally so the weight and bulk of the full sized 5" Delta Elite won't be new to me. Also, recoil isn't a problem as I am not really recoil shy and do well controlling the added snap from the 10.

I know there are still some departments that issue 10mm but I'm curious. How many here feel comfortable carrying the 10mm as a defensive gun and caliber ? Thoughts on the matter ?

Sarge,

I carry a 10mm CBOB all day everyday. I feel completely comfortable with the gun and the round itself.

I currently carry it with silvertips, but I am leaning toward finding some black talons.

Have you considered DoubleTap ? I have two boxes of 180 grain on the way for evaluation.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    +1 on DoubleTap. I carry DT 165g Gold Dots in my G29SF.

I carry a 10mm 1911. I like heavy bullets especially in the 10mm. I'm in love with the XTP bullets.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Great round IMO. Little less powerful than a .41 mag. which IMO is very controllable. Shot a S&W 610 (10 mm) and loved it. Carry my 657 .41 mag in the winter with 210 gr. Speer Gold Dots. Very devestaing round for SD. Have taken 37 deer with .41 mags over 32 years. All 1 shot kills as I kept my shots under 50 yards and made sure I had a clean shot with a rest. If it will take a deer with ease it raises my confidence in stopping a 2 legged predator.

Here is the link to Georgia Arms. They sell 155 gr SGD's for a very good price and like my .41 will get the job done!

http://georgia-arms.com/10mm-1.aspx

Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

My G29 is my primary CCW. I either carry with Double Tap 165gr Remington Golden Sabers or 155gr Barnes XPB bullets
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

I'm suprised no one has yet argued it may be too much for SD. It seems the perfect replacement for the .357 but in rimless semiauto form.

The 10mm is the ballistic twin of the 357 Magnum. People who knock the 10mm for defense don't understand that relationship.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    If the FBI couldn't handle it, it's gotta be good. I'm waiting for Cor Bon to come out with a DPX loading for this. Meanwhile, it's so fast that just about anything that feeds reliably will serve.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    If the FBI couldn't handle it, it's gotta be good.
    Not this again.

The FBI never, ever used or issued full Norma spec 10mm ammunition. Their load was and always has been and currently is (in the few MP5-10 they still have in arsenal) the 180gr JHP at 980fps. The FBI got rid of the 10mm for politics with S&W, not the performance of the cartridge or the weight of the gun, etc all the other internet BS. This is not the thread to debate this, but I've posted support for the actual history here before that a search will turn up.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

If the FBI couldn't handle it, it's gotta be good. LOL !

I did some checking on the DT loadings comparing the ballistics of the 10 vs. the .357 mag. All I have to say is WOW.

.357 mag
    158 grain HP
    1400 fps
    688 ft/lbs energy

10mm
    155 grain HP
    1475 fps
    750 ft/lbs energy

These ballistics from a 5" framed 1911 make for a formidable defense gun combo. Punching sloped windshields in a defense scenario should be no problem. I am curious about muzzle flash. Has anyone here done low-light with a Cor-Bon or DT 10 out of a 5" tube ?

I occasionally pack my Delta Gold Cup. The gun is extremely accurate and reliable. I keep full power loads in mine except when the .40S&W barrel is in it. Since I keep full power loads in it I also keep the 23 pound spring in it as per the original design. For me, I feel my .45 1911s are a little more optimal for carry purposes because if I were to have to perform a clearing procedure / "tap, rack, bang", a 23 pound spring makes it way more difficult (especially if your hands were wet, ie: sweaty, bloody etc) for me than a 16 or 18 pounder that I run in my .45s.

Some will run lighter springs and lighter loads but I do not, generally.
    If I want lighter loads I go to .45 or .40.
    With the .40 barrel I run an 18 or 20 pound spring.

Another interesting point is that if you look at some of the ballistics penetration data available in the internet, the 10mm and .45acp penetration tends to be about the same. Apparently the heavy slower bullet (.45acp) just keeps on trucking with it's momentum to match the 10mm. I love both calibers and I'm not starting a debate but I wanted to add this because I do not feel I lose anything by just carrying a .45 other than range / distance capability. Since I'm not going be in a 150 yard pistol fight in town, the .45 is perfect for me.

My 10mm is my perfect hiking companion. That is where it shines the most for me.

Cooper or Clint Smith (I think) once stated that the 45acp does everything that the 10mm does, the 10mm can just do it farther out. They summed it up very well.

Still, my answer is YES to your original question of "do you feel comfortable carrying the 10mm". Just thought I'd point out some of my observations because I did not realize them when I was first packing 10mms (a Colt, a G29 and a G20).

Thought I'd add that for a training class or EDC a 20lb spring or so and a moderate / moderately hot load would probably work great.

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    If the FBI couldn't handle it, it's gotta be good. I'm waiting for Cor Bon to come out with a DPX loading for this. Meanwhile, it's so fast that just about anything that feeds reliably will serve.
    Yeah right, that must be why I bought my NAA Mini .22...the FBI couldn't handle them either (too small?).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

"Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links