Problem with new Taurus 745 feeding

This is a discussion on Problem with new Taurus 745 feeding within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought a new Taurus 745. There isn't a lot of ammo to choose from these days, but I picked up some +P Speer ...

Thread: Problem with new Taurus 745 feeding

Problem with new Taurus 745 feeding

I just bought a new Taurus 745. There isn't a lot of ammo to choose from these days, but I picked up some +P Speer LE Gold Dot 200gr JHP, and it won't feed -- not even the first cartridge.

I also picked up some generic 230gr FMJ, and it seems to feed with no problems. (I haven't fired the gun yet, though.)

The 745 is essentially the same as the 145, but with a narrower grip and no rails. Do these guns not like the Speer ammo, or do I need service?

Any recommendations for a good carry ammo? I use HST in my 9mm guns, and love it, but couldn't find any for this one.

Thanks for your help.

2. Remove Ads

Tactical Defense Solutions notified us they have surplus Federal HST in 9mm and 45 ACP for sale
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks for the tip! I just ordered some HST ammo. The prices weren't as bad as I had feared either.

That said, I'm still not sure if the problem I'm having is due to my gun or the Speer ammo. Has anyone else had any experiences with Speer LE 200gr Gold Dot in the Taurus 145 or 745?

Sometimes the wider mouths of the Speer bullets can cause issue with feeding in some platforms. It sounds like your gun would be better served by a round with a smaller ogive or even ball-type ammo. Speer makes an excellent round but they aren't for everyone.

Does the action feel smooth? If not, you may wish to try a good old "fluff and buff". This procedure (careful polishing of certain friction-prone areas) has worked for me on many pistols.

Here's a typical fluff and buff: Fluff and Buff

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Thanks for your help. The Speer ammo does have a very wide mouth. I've used HST in my 9MMs, and really liked it. I've ordered some in 45. We'll see how that works.

The Speer cartridge does fit easily into the barrel, but does not even begin to go up the ramp, which appears polished.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gseely View Post
    I also picked up some generic 230gr FMJ, and it seems to feed with no problems. (I haven't fired the gun yet, though.)
    You might wanna strip it down and give it a thorough clean and lube... my 745 came to me dry and stiff, and I had a couple feed failures my first time out to the range with it. I recommend Gunzilla....

I only mention it because you said you had not fired it yet...

"Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Links