Walther PPS - Inexpensive Alternative to Buying New Mags

This is a discussion on Walther PPS - Inexpensive Alternative to Buying New Mags within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With magazines for the Walther PPS being around $50 a piece and hard to find on top of that I figured some members would be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPS - Inexpensive Alternative to Buying New Mags

Walther PPS - Inexpensive Alternative to Buying New Mags

With magazines for the Walther PPS being around $50 a piece and hard to find on top of that I figured some members would be interested in this.

From Walther you can order the magazine floor plate and catch that will allow you to convert your existing magazine into any other capacity offered. The price is about $15 to convert each mag. I paid just under $40 for two kits and shipping.

The conversion is simple and only took about 5 minutes. Below are some pics of the process.

My existing 7 round magazine (assembled) and the parts to convert it to either 6 or 8 rounds:

Disassembled 7 round mag:

The PPS next to my newly converted 8 round mag along side my existing 6 rounder:

The PPS with the 6 round mag installed:

The PPS with the 8 round mag installed:

The 8 rounder makes a huge difference in the feel of the weapon. I was surprised about how much I liked it. I makes the gun feel full size rather than sub compact. If I can effectively conceal it I may have to order another one so I can carry two 8 rounders.

2. Remove Ads

Dos'nt change the fact,that you still only have two mags for the pistol!

Now instead of being $50 mags,they are $70 mags.

That's true. At least now when I do buy a new mag I know which size I like though.

Quote Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
    Dos'nt change the fact,that you still only have two mags for the pistol!

Now instead of being $50 mags,they are $70 mags.
    And, respectfully added, a little more grip to conceal.
    I'd opt for more mags...I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

obviously youre best off buying the size mag you prefer if you know ahead of time what you want, but this is still great info for someone that hasnt considered this....

particularly for someone that buys a PPS with several sized mags and decides they really like one much more than the others.
    or maybe for someone that for whatever reason can pick up a mag for next to nothing that they wouldnt have otherwise bought per non-pref size.

doubting ill ever do this... its still good to know you can.

personally i LIKE all three mag sizes. and use them all for different wear.
    having the ability to change this up (and the way it feels with each) is one of my favorite things about the weapon.
    i have two 8rd, and 1 each 7rd and 6rd. obviously a different feel for each... but all three fit nice in my hand with the big back strap.

here is a link to a pdf of the PPS parts diagram in case anyone wants part numbers....
    http://www.carlwalther.com/docs/pps_2753880.pdf

thanks for the pics skot...

EdC
    Good info! I wound up with four 7 rd mags (please don't ask) and a 6 rd mag. I think I'll convert two of the 7 rounders to 8. Thanks for idea. By the way, what is the grip cover you have there?

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I thought about this a while back and S&W was not stocking the replacement floor plates at the time. Sounds like now they're in stock. I would like to convert my 6 rounder into a 7 rounder on the PPS9. I will leave the PPS .40 alone for now and maybe just buy a few spare mags as soon as my firearms/ammunition buying orgy is over.

Many of you have heard me say it before but I absolutely LOVE my PPS. It is the most concealable gun in my EDC stable and for me it points and shoots like a dream. I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a high quality single-stack pistol.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdC View Post
    Thanks for idea. By the way, what is the grip cover you have there?
    Yes, that grip cover looks like it would keep the backstrap held firmly in place should the gun ever be dropped. I would like to know the brand/model too. Thanks.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdC View Post
    Good info! I wound up with four 7 rd mags (please don't ask) and a 6 rd mag. I think I'll convert two of the 7 rounders to 8. Thanks for idea. By the way, what is the grip cover you have there?
    It looks like a Hogue grip sleeve to me, probably the Handall Jr., but I could be wrong.

http://www.getgrip.com/main/overview/handall.html
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    It looks like a Hogue grip sleeve to me, probably the Handall Jr., but I could be wrong.
    I have a Handall Jr. on my 9mm PPS. It makes it much more comfortable (it adds a nice little palm swell) and as Saifu says, it keeps the backstrap safely in place in case of a drop.

Yep, it's the Hogue Handall Jr.

Sorry, I've been away from the computer for a little while. I was lucky enough to hit WalMart at the right time last night and got my "allowance" of 6 boxes of 9mm. So this morning was spent at the range.

I just passed the 1,000 round mark on the PPS. I still love it.

Oh, and getting additional mags is certainly on the list. Just couldn't do it at this time.

Walther Arms PPS 8 round conversion kit.

Scott,

I have been all over the Walther Arms website and cannot find that 8 round conversion kit.
    Do you have a link?

Regards, Karl

jyo
    I went with extra 7 rd mags back when they were just a tad over $40 each---the 6 rd (which I still have) is too small for my hands---the 7 rd mags are just right and don't hurt concealment---the 8 rd mags appear a little too large---the grip of a pistol is the hardest part to hide.

Thanks for the post. It's good info that I probably won't act on it. I use 8 round mags exclusively although I do have a 7 rounder that came with the gun. One might ask why not convert the 7 rnd to the magazine of your preference? I guess I like having the option of downsizing for concealment if I feel I need it.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

I've got a 6, 7, and 8 for mine. I carry with the 6 and have the 7 in a pocket mag pouch. The 8 makes a nice range mag, but I like to practice with them all.

Carrying with the 8 makes the grip about as long as my P99, which is why I bought the PPS in the first place... shorter grip.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links