XD Sub-Compact or M&P Compact?

This is a discussion on XD Sub-Compact or M&P Compact? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking about looking for a new CCW pistol and I have pretty much narrowed down my choices to the Springfield Armory XD subcompact ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XD Sub-Compact or M&P Compact?

VIP Member

I am thinking about looking for a new CCW pistol and I have pretty much narrowed down my choices to the Springfield Armory XD subcompact or the S&W M&P compact. I am leaning towards 9mm, but might go .40, I like both rounds so I am sure I will be happy either way I go.

Has anyone shot/carried both that could point out any pluses or minuses of one over the other?

Also, I see that SA also does some sort of a lifetime warranty, so if anyone has any experience with that, I would really like to hear about it. I have personal experience with the S&W Lifetime Service Policy and was very pleased with it, but I don't much about Springfield Armory.

Thanks for the advice!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by punk rocka View Post
    I am thinking about looking for a new CCW pistol and I have pretty much narrowed down my choices to the Springfield Armory XD subcompact or the S&W M&P compact. I am leaning towards 9mm, but might go .40, I like both rounds so I am sure I will be happy either way I go.

Has anyone shot/carried both that could point out any pluses or minuses of one over the other?

Also, I see that SA also does some sort of a lifetime warranty, so if anyone has any experience with that, I would really like to hear about it. I have personal experience with the S&W Lifetime Service Policy and was very pleased with it, but I don't much about Springfield Armory.

Thanks for the advice!
    I honestly don't have a bad thing to say about Springfield they make solid guns anyone I have talked to has had a good experience with the warranty. For example SA changed the finish to melonite a couple years ago and I have heard of people with older models getting them re-finished for free no problem.
    Last edited by C hawk Glock; July 25th, 2009 at 01:57 AM.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    The M&P has a much better trigger!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I know this may be a bit off of what you asked, but I have shot SA compacts and a Glock 26....I was going through the same dilema as you but since I already own a G19 I decided to go with the Glock since I could use the mags from my 19 in the 26. I also have a full size XD, like it a lot, thought I liked the grip safety and I do in theory but I have difficulty "ast times" racking the slide if I do not fully depress the grip safety (the grip safety must be engaged to pull the slide)......so from that standpoint, Iwould go with the M&P, but they are about $75 -$100 more than the XD's......you really owe it to yourself to also try a G26 if that is the size you are looking into. Good luck!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

The wife has the M&P9c and it's an impressive little gun. I don't have any reservations on recommending this!

VIP Member
    Just do a little search about the slide release on the M&P. Get the XD.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    The M&P has a much better trigger!
    That is relative . . . to the users opinion!!

The ones I have used were not as good as the XD trigger, in my opinion.

The XDsc is a smaller gun too.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I would go with the smith. Just feels better in your hand and its lighter than the xd and not as tall as the xd. Plus the smith is made in america.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    If you search my posts (ArmyCop) you should see where I posted almost same as you just did and results thereof.

After researching reviews & several other forums (both are very good guns) I decided I'd go with the M&P .40 compact. Haven't bought it as of yet - still saving towards it.
    For God, Family and Country!

M&P. Earlier runs had a problem with the mag release. That has been fixed. No other issues.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Neither. Get a Walther PPS if you want comfortable all-day carry with 100% German reliability.

There both great guns. Tuff choice.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    There both great guns. Tuff choice.
    After all the research I have tried to do on both, I would have to agree! I guess the up side is I probably couldn't make a wrong decision by going with either one

I go back and forth between my appreciation for S&W and how much I really like my Sigma (I know some people hate them, but I have a difficult time finding any fault with it) and going with the SA which is smaller and should be a little easier to conceal.

I've got both the M&P Compact and XD Sub-Compact in .40, and a Glock 27 (I know I'm crazy, but just can't help it). Anyway, I've got to say you can't go wrong with any of these three. I know that doesn't help much, but just go with the one that feels best in your hands. They're all three well built and reliable. I'm very "pro-glock", but have to say, in this case, there is no wrong or bad choice.

I have an XD40 subcompact but my M&P is a full sized 9mm. I prefer the SA XD.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links