UP-Date on the Jam and FTF Problem with my Para Warthog

This is a discussion on UP-Date on the Jam and FTF Problem with my Para Warthog within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; HEARD FROM THE GUNSMITH TODAY. The gun was jammed due to (as stated by you guys ) POS ammo... The round I attempted to fire ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UP-Date on the Jam and FTF Problem with my Para Warthog

HEARD FROM THE GUNSMITH TODAY.

The gun was jammed due to (as stated by you guys ) POS ammo...
    The round I attempted to fire was actually fired. It had a primer but ZERO powder causing the case to expand and only slightly expell the bullett leaving it in the case and thus the expansion would not allow you to manually eject the round. It must have been the ear protection that did not allow me to hear the primer fire off. Guess the American ammo, 230 FMJ is off the shopping list. Gunsmith stated cause as, and I quote
    " Looks like ******** ammo, Nothing wrong with the firearm and I suggest good quality ammo". I am going to pick it up tomorrow install my Hogue Grips and put Federal Hydroshock through it. I am going to send Ray an e-mail tomorrow morning telling him what was found and try good ammo to see if that is the problem with the FTF issue. Will let you all know how I make out and will attach some good old photos of any FTF issues and some group shots.

Stay tuned.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Looks like you got it worked out. Bad ammo in a gun, is like bad fuel in a car.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Looks like you got it worked out. Bad ammo in a gun, is like bad fuel in a car.
    Agree 100% with ppkheats statement. Cheapest ammo that will go down the barrel of my weapons is WWB (have a truckload that I was buying every pay day), my own handloads, Georgia Arms reloads and either Winchester Ranger or Speer Gold Dots for carry.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Hopefully your problem is solved. Now get that gun back and give it a good workout...be sure to share the results.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've had some reloads in my early days that got loaded with no powder but the primer always had enough ooomph to expel the bullet from the case,One thing you can check on ammunition is if the cartridge will not chamber by manually inserting in the barrel after you field strip the gun then the case is out of specs,I use this method when setting up my reloading dies to make sure my ammo will feed properly
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    I'm glad it was nothing more serious. Now you know what not to use though!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

VIP Member
    I hope that is the case and the smith is not just BSN you. Good luck!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Thanks for the update.

I'm no expert, so this is just an innocent question...If the round had no powder, how would that cause case expansion? I could see it expanding the case in a double charge, but it seems like primer only would not have the pressure to expand a case.

Am I way off track here?
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

The fireing of the primer caused slight expansion, enough to see the original seating deapth of the round. After getting the round in my hand and looking at it. The primer pushed the bullet half way out of the case and had entered the land / rifling and the jacketed bullet hung there. When it was placed in a padded vice and good purchse put on the slide Wess was able to rack the round free. I tried to get a good photo to show and will try some more but they came out blurry. I will get it.
    Never made it to the range yesterday...had a tumor removed from my back day before yesterday and I was a tad lame and hauling a drain tube and drainage bag around under your shirt is a little problem. BUT today...I am heading out by 0900. Hang loose for pohotos.

I don't think he is BSN me. He is a good honest guy that had and has no reason to do that. I also as stated above have the round. He also took measurements of the barrel diameter, etc looked over the action and can find no problems. He has been a smithy for 40 years...and has some fine rifles for sale...
    Last edited by DEC; July 26th, 2009 at 07:17 AM. Reason: spelling

It can happen. I have had 2 poof rounds with American Eagle .45ACP about 2 years ago. Different box but same case lot.

PS . . . Not sure of the propriety of this but I have 3 Warthog mags if you are interested. I know Para mags are high.

Don't forget to oil the crap out of it. I have a P16-40 and it works best when I hose it with oil.

Para's LOVE OIL.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Went to the range and used Winchester 230 Gr HPs. Went through 200 rounds and NO, I repeat NO FTF and NO jamming. I tried rapid fire slow fire and no problems. Looks like ammo. Here is a few pics. Not as good a group as I shot last week but I did not have 14 staples in my ribs on my back. Made straighting my arms a little tuff and like a Sally I winced a couple of times. Must be getting girly in my old age. Shot at 10 yards.

Last edited by DEC; July 26th, 2009 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Darn spelling

shoot'n low or are you pulling the gun down

just out of curiosity, was the original ammo reloads? or just cheap stuff.

Did you check the original ammo's over all dimensions, like diameter and OAL (over all length).

My P16-40 has a match grade barrel so I went to a full length sizing die to reload, that made a world of difference
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

I have a habit of jerk down....Man that didn't sound good did it..
    Oh well. Most sites you place the dot just below what you want to hit and this gal the dot goes on what you want to hit. If you hang on it is an accurate rig.

I'm very envious of all the posters that say they went to the range and rapid fired. There are no ranges in my area that will allow even a double tap.
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    - P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

- Nex ut Novus Universitas Ordo! -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links