Choices; need input from owners of K9's & EMP's

This is a discussion on Choices; need input from owners of K9's & EMP's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Need some help getting my thoughts together from those who've had a chance to shoot BOTH a Kahr K9 and the Springfield EMP. I know ...

Thread: Choices; need input from owners of K9's & EMP's

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Need some help getting my thoughts together from those who've had a chance to shoot BOTH a Kahr K9 and the Springfield EMP. I know there's a huge price difference as far as price goes but for right now, don't even think about price. So with money aside....

How would you rate/choose considering...

RECOIL: Which one is the softest shooter?

ERGONOMICS: Which one just feels better in the hand and points better? This is one I think I know the answer to. I've held an EMP and its good but the K9 grip is the best I've ever held.

CAPACITY: I know this one 10 vs 8 or 9 w/extended mag

RELIABILITY: This is a touch one in general because I believe they both can be "made" reliable if need be but which one do you think is most likely to be the most solid?

MISC. Anything else you think distinguishes one above the other.

I have 3 revolvers in .38/.357 and 2 9mm semi's: An MK9 and a P9. I'm selling a Colt New Agent .45 to fund getting a new gun. My three "temptations" are:

1. A Kahr K9
    2. Springfield EMP

I have a lead on a few used K9's. They're going for around $650 without night sights but including shipping. I can buy one, get night sights installed, bead blast the finish if it's rough and still have a lot less in it than an EMP.

It's impossible to get a NIB K9 w/night sights and best estimates have it to be the end of the year before I can get one and that's after dealing with a number of dealers.

I already have a perfectly functioning P9 that gives me 8 round of 9 and I don't think I could bring myself to sell it or trade it on a K9 unless it was a NIB. This would lean me towards the EMP which has 10. BUT I know I'll never be totally happy with the EMP until I've sent it in and it's sporting a one side tactical thumb safety and the front strap is checkered. That puts it pushing $1,300 to $1,500.

The other option is to simply STOP THE INSANITY. I have 2 good 9mm's and some good .38/.357 options. I could just take the money from the Colt and get a used pre-lock 640-1 and call it good. I'd gotten a prelock 60-12 but now really wish I'd gotten the 640.

I drive myself crazy with decisions like this, do you?

So any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I'm sticking to only 9mm and .38/.357 in small frame, soft recoiling platforms.

One point to consider, and this matters to some and not to others. The Kahr is rated for +p, while the EMP is not.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    in my opinion, both are equal quality, but very different platforms.

DAO vs SA.

Administrator
    I've shot both, and prefer the K9 in almost every respect.
    "Just blame Sixto"

You got me on this one. I have an EMP and love it, however I would also like to have the Kahr. As far as frequently carrying... I would lean toward the Kahr.

Well I would have suggested the EMP but now that I know they are not +p rated...the K9 would get my vote hands down.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    One point to consider, and this matters to some and not to others. The Kahr is rated for +p, while the EMP is not.
    Not calling you a liar or anything, but could you state a source for that?

Tried to find a link or something, and I came up blank. But I know I either read or was told they were not rated for +p. It might of been from the Springfield rep I was chatting with. I'll do a little more digging.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

JD
    Administrator
    The only thing I've come across it that a "steady diet" of +P is not recommended, but for general testing of and carry of +P is OK.

JD
    Administrator
    I would also suggest the Kahr, you've got a good stable going with the MK9 and P9, why go with something else, especially something else that doesn't share the same operating principles as the other guns you carry? The addition of a thumb safety when you're not used to having one is not always a good thing, you'd really have to practice, practice, practice to get the motor skills down to properly remove the safety on the draw. It obviously can be learned, but why change when you don't have to?

Maybe I'm just lazy.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Some very good inputs. The more I read these comments the more I lean towards the Kahr. Better grip and I have to just assume that it's just as soft a shooter as the EMP. Plus I can get the front strap checkered, the trigger rounded, and other things done and still be way under the cost of an EMP.

Still that EMP is purtty isn't it?

Well, I'm going to stick with the direction and JD your input is good. I do think using the same "manual of arms" is a good idea and I like how both my .38/.357 revolvers and the Kahrs are DAO with no extrernal safetys.

Thanks again for helping me think this through.

Now the challenge will be finding a good K9 at a good price. I'm looking at a few righ now on the web but I sure wish I could find a NIB K9, even without the night sights so if you ever see one, please let me know and perhaps I can buy it!!

So it looks like I'll be putting some things up for sale on the sight like a barely used Colt New Agent, some .45 mags and a couple of really nice 3" 1911 holsters!!

Thanks again

Kahr....the trigger is better for CCW.....but that is only my opinion as I have a problem with SA carry.....and I love my PM9.....
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Links