Range Report No. 5; Skyy CPX-1 9mm:

This is a discussion on Range Report No. 5; Skyy CPX-1 9mm: within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Range Report No. 5; Skyy CPX-1 9mm: My wife shot 50 rounds of CCI Blazer 115gr. FMJ through her CPX-1. She had several FTF's - ...

My wife shot 50 rounds of CCI Blazer 115gr. FMJ through her CPX-1. She had several FTF's - at least one or two per magazine.

I ran 200 rounds of CCI Blazer 115gr. FMJ through my Skyy CPX-1, which shot perfectly. No FTF's. No FTE's. My aim has improved, it shot POA. I was extremely happy with the performance. Despite it's smaller size, my hand felt fine afterwards other than a bit tired. It WAS getting close to "graduating" to CC.

Diagnosis:

Folks, if I get the technical terminology below incorrect, I apologize in advance - I'm still learning all of the various parts and pieces, so bear with me.

Wife's: Dirty feedramp, dirty pretty much throughout. I had skipped cleaning it after the last range visit. Bad boy! Result: Wife has less confidence in it now, rightly. Wife has less confidence in me now, rightly. am in doghouse temporarily. She has a very clean CPX-1 now.

Mine: Upon stripping for cleaning, I had a difficult time removing the slide assembly after removing the disassembly pin. When new, it would slide forward off the front of the gun easily. Today I had to tap it gently. Upon inspection of the rails and slide, I found a crack on the left frame rail, coming from the back end of an oblong hole above the slide stop all the way to the top, and including the steel rail. The portion of the rail forward of the crack was raised slightly and shiny from the action of the slide wearing on it. The slide had matching wear. PO'd! CPX-1 in doghouse. No confidence in it now.

My Skyy will go to Skyy tomorrow for their fix. They have re-engineered the rails apparently. I'm frustrated. I have no confidence in this gun now.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...........

VIP Member
    Yikes...sorry to hear about your gun R&G....I'm sure Skyy will take care of it for you.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Bummer on the cracked frame rail let us know how Skyy handles it and how about a pic?

A coupla other posts like this are over on skyy forum. Reports like this scare me if Im going to trust this gun with summer duties. Ill keep an eye on mine but if its like the others Ill most likley look for something else. Yes skyy has a lifetime warrenty but a gun shoudlnt wear that fast after a few hundred rounds. I know these guns were meant to be shot little and carried alot. But I had about 1500 + round through my bersa thunder and it kept on going without a hitch. I might just trade up to a thunder compact 9. Probably should have done that to begin with.Sixgun

Assistant Administrator
    Thx for the report Richard and sorry to hear of problems.

I guess this is early days for the gun still and hopefully things will get fixed. Looks like design tweaks are needed plus maybe even a metallurgical rethink. For sure yeah - confidence will evaporate.

If you have or can take a pic of the crack area do post one.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Got the CPX-1 back from Skyy last Friday. I field stripped it for inspection (I got a new frame, and firing pin too). The left rail now his approximately 1/4" cut-out where the crack was on the original frame. Nice radius are machined. Everything else appeared the same.

Went to the range today:

200 rds of CCI 115gr FMJ's downrange today. Perfect! No FTF's. No FTE's. No light strikes. Just plain-old shooting! What a blast. Randomly shot series of 5 to 9 slow, 5 to 9 fast, and even ran thru three mags fast a few times. Gun behaved perfectly.

The gun shot to POA, ran targets out to 30 feet. Pleased with accuracy of gun. Not pleased with my rapid fire accuracy (still working on me - wife says I'm untrainable).

Will probably shoot another 200 or so on Thursday - so I'm happy so far upon its return from Skyy.

It's trying to get back into my good graces (grrrrrrr.....)

I also chatted with a small town LEO at the range. He carries a Sig on duty (45), but is a Glock armorer. He was shooting his Glock chambered in 45 GAP (I forgot the Model #). I squeezed off a round at his invitation (declined to burn the entire mag as he suggested) - very smooth, less felt recoil that my 9mm's. Nice, but he's been tinkering with it for two years trying to get it to operate properly. Just kind of interesting to shoot a different caliber Glock. He has a least one of every model Glock made, some models he has two or three. Nice guy. He declined to shoot the Skyy - his hands were as big as hams, and literally swallowed the gun when he held it (LOL).

Good to hear the report. maybe skyys taking care of there probs pretty quick. I may have jumped to soon getting rid of mine but Im happy with the xd so far. Have a great day

Sixgun

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Wait,Wait,Wait.
    Somebody told you to fire off an entire mag of his ammo on a gun you might like and you didn't?
    Round up all your guns and bring them to my house. You don't deserve them.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

It's good to see your issues with the SKYY are finally a thing of the past... knock on wood. Luckily, I haven't had any of the same problems with mine, though I've only fired about 200 rds through it, unlike you. Hopefully, when SKYY finally releases their new models later this summer, most of these issues will be taken care of before the guns hit the streets rather than afterwards.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock

My wife shot 50 rounds of CCI Blazer 115gr. FMJ through her CPX-1. She had several FTF's - at least one or two per magazine.

Wife's: Dirty feedramp, dirty pretty much throughout. I had skipped cleaning it after the last range visit. Bad boy! Result: Wife has less confidence in it now, rightly. Wife has less confidence in me now, rightly. am in doghouse temporarily. She has a very clean CPX-1 now.
    :
    She should learn to clean her own gun. After all its hers, right? sorry to hear about your cracking ,functioning problems. I will never buy a new design gun again myself. (problems with a new design taurus PT)
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    She should learn to clean her own gun. After all its hers, right?
    Whoops! She just read this! Now I'm in trouble - but you're AT THE TOP OF HER LIST! She just called you a "Whippersnapper"!!!! #@@#&^%!!!!! Will that get me banned?

Actually....she's laughing...........

Links