Advice for new 442 heavy trigger?

This is a discussion on Advice for new 442 heavy trigger? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've searched a bit, but really haven't seen a consensus... I've traditionally been a semi shooter, but recently traded for a brand new Smith and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for new 442 heavy trigger?

cj [OP]

I've searched a bit, but really haven't seen a consensus...

I've traditionally been a semi shooter, but recently traded for a brand new Smith and Wesson 442. It looks great, but the trigger is AWFUL! I have a Kel-Tec P11 and would say that its trigger (traditionally cited as the greatest shortcoming in the P11) is better.

Using a scale, the trigger is breaking at about 14 pounds on the new 442...a real problem since I was hoping to use this pistol as a training tool for my wife.

So...what is the current advice and approach? I've seen a lot of 'dry fire it 500 times to smooth it out', but will that really have this much of an impact on a 14-pound trigger pull? It already seems smooth enough, just really...heavy.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    dryfire, dryfire, dryfire.... change hands.... dryfire, dryfire, dryfire

worked wonders on my 637

then, there are spring kits that will help as well as professional trigger work. You should be able to get that trigger in the 6-7 pound range easily.

Pretty much you have a few options. Dryfire it, take it to a smith for a trigger job to smooth it out, or have a smith put different springs in it to lighten the pull.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

I'd still go the dry fire route...it does smooth things out.
    I would assume that you want it smooth, not light. OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    If you have the money and time; I'd encourage a full action job. If you don't have the money, dry fire until you can't stand it but frankly that takes a long time and really only does make is smoother as compared to smoother and lighter.

cj [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'd still go the dry fire route...it does smooth things out.
    I would assume that you want it smooth, not light. OMO
    Smooth yes, not light, but lightER than its current 14 pounds for certain. I have trouble holding a steady sight picture with my off hand between the small grip and 14 pound pull...I can't imagine my wife trying to handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    If you have the money and time; I'd encourage a full action job.
    Is that through the S&W performance center, or just a fairly standard option at a gunsmith? As much hunting and shooting as is in my little town, there doesn't seem to be a gunsmith for quite a distance from here.

There are many professionals smiths out there who will do a wonderful job tuning that up....had a buddy who sent his stuff here. Actions By T - Teddy Jacobson Pistolsmith

But Smith and Wesson will also do it for you I think they call it it "super-tuning".
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

If you want it really smooth and lighter get a smith to do a trigger job on it. I have trigger jobs done on all my revolvers.

On both J-frames I have, I immediately had the local gunsmith put in a spring kit that lightened things up. At the same time he did a small amount of work to further smooth out the pull.

They remained safe, and it cost me about $45 per gun for the work.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Administrator
    If you can't afford an action job right now then you can buy the Reduced Power spring pack from Wolff.
    You can move down to the 8# hammer spring and usually the 13# rebound spring without affecting primer strike reliability.

SHOOTER'S PAK - Reduced Power
    This pak contains 1 each 8 pound reduced power hammer spring and 1 each 13, 14 and 15 pound reduced power rebound springs allowing adjustment for lighter and smoother trigger and hammer action. Note: Models 317, 650, 651 have a 12 Lb. factory hammer spring.
    Stock No. 17125.....$ 9.00 ea

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    dryfire, dryfire, dryfire.... change hands.... dryfire, dryfire, dryfire

worked wonders on my 637

then, there are spring kits that will help as well as professional trigger work. You should be able to get that trigger in the 6-7 pound range easily.
    I concur...our 642 (I say ours, but it is hers!).......after lots of dry fireing....smoothes out.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

VIP Member
    Dry fire as others have said. After 500 - 1000 pulls, that trigger will really start to smooth out nicely. Also, don't oil the trigger, inside the hammer, or other internal mechanisms related to the trigger. Just let it wear naturally.

Good luck with the dryfire & springs. I went both routes on a S&W340PD I had and finally I got rid of it. Look into the S&W438 Bodyguard. It has a shrouded hammer that lets you do some precise fire on the single action mode (light pull... @3-4lbs), while conserving the double action mode for close in/fire from a jacket pocket work (heavy pull... @12lbs). I just wish one could swing the cylinder out when lowering the hammer.
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

+1 on Wolff spring kit. I put one into my J-frame and also into 2 Ruger SP-101s. About $10, an hour's time, and achievable if you're generally handy. In my case, dry-firing led only to a blistered finger & no noticeable trigger improvement. (My gun is an older piece with grooved trigger--I subsequently pulled it out & polished off the grooves!)

I downloaded an on-line copy of a S&W Model 10 tech manual to help you figure out what fits where; it's not exactly the same as your J frame, but close enough that you can use it for accurate reference. On the S&W, I left the stock mainspring in place to ensure adequate ignition, and I changed out the harder-to-reach trigger return spring in order to achieve a decent trigger pull. It works fine & made all the difference in the world.

Disassemble small springs inside a Baggie to avoid loss (or injury). If you don't have good, small screwdrivers, you may want to buy a gunsmithing screwdriver set when you order the spring kit. I also used my jeweler's screwdriver kit. I'm handy, but no engineer. With careful double-checking the manual as I went, I replaced the trigger return spring in less than an hour's work. My daughter couldn't even pull the trigger at first; now she can shoot it fine.

Final note. If your wife is new at this, don't have her shoot +P ammo from a snubbie until/unless she masters standard ammo. I almost ruined shooting for my wife (and especially my daughters) by messing that up.

Happy shooting!

Administrator
    The rebound spring is usually heavier and stiffer than it needs to be.
    It really makes the trigger pull hard and stiff.
    In addition every little bit of roughness adds a grit feeling to the trigger pull.

If you carefully polish the inside of the rebound spring housing - AKA the hole that is drilled to house the spring and buff the outside of the lighter weight replacement Wolff spring & carefully stone the contact surfaces that slide back and forth on that little upright post you can greatly improve your trigger. Any roughness that catches on that post when the rebound slide moves to the rear will feel like grit in your trigger pull.
    Better yet you can use some spray adhesive to mount a sheet of 1000 grit 3M Silicon Carbide paper to a perfectly flat piece of plate glass and lightly buff the bottom face and the bottom side of that rebound slide (that rubs inside the frame) by laying the part flat on the 1000 grit paper and sliding it back and forth a few times just to smooth it up. You do not need to polish it perfectly bright. Just smooth up any machine marks and buff it a little.
    Doing all of that will greatly improve your trigger pull.

OK - not exactly the same S&W internals but, we're only interested in the rebound slide and spring here.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links