range report for new cw40...not so good...

This is a discussion on range report for new cw40...not so good... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; took the new Kahr to the range today...it actually performed WORSE than the Bersa I had and promptly sold. I put nearly 100 rounds through ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: range report for new cw40...not so good...

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar

range report for new cw40...not so good...

took the new Kahr to the range today...it actually performed WORSE than the Bersa I had and promptly sold.

I put nearly 100 rounds through it and for EACH and every one, the slide locked open after the shot. I racked the slide 100 times today, once after each shot. The gun itself shot fairly straight when I wasn't getting frustrated and just trying to shoot twice in a row. It seems to me the mag wasn't inserted far enough into the grip to feed the next round. So, in effect, the gun thought it was empty after each shot. I tried stiffening my wrist, I tried limp wristing, I tried several different hand positions, I even tried shooting it sideways (gangsta style) and EACH time, the slide locked open.

Finally, I got sick of it (and my thumb was getting pretty raw from hitting the slide release so much) and left. I went back to the gun shop I bought it at to explain the problem. We tried a new mag, and it too, had about a 1/8" gap between the floor plate and the bottom of the magwell. The guys there were thoroughly perplexed with my issue.

They suggested I send it back to Kahr but said I'd be lucky if I got it back within 1 month. They said if they knew, for sure, it was a faulty mag, they would just give me another, but since there was no way to prove it (they didn't have a range on-site) they couldn't do that.

I guess my next call should be to Kahr to see what they can do to help. I should NOT be having this much trouble with a brand new gun...especially one with the reputation of Kahr. I half expected it with my Bersa (had a terrible time), but this is pretty ludicrous.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

2. Remove Ads

yikes man! sorry to hear about the bad run!

def contact Kahr and find out what they can do for you promptly.

hope all works out for the best

I have a PM9 that functions flawlessly, give Kahr a try, lets hope they can fix it as I think they are quality guns....hopefully you did not get a lemon.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Administrator
    Are you sure your thumb wasn't riding the slide release? Thats a very common problem with the Kahr's, and most people don't even realize it until somebody points it out to them.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Are you sure your thumb wasn't riding the slide release? Thats a very common problem with the Kahr's, and most people don't even realize it until somebody points it out to them.
    Like I said, I tried SEVERAL different hand positions...including shooting 1 handed (both right and left). Still, no change.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    Like I said, I tried SEVERAL different hand positions...including shooting 1 handed (both right and left). Still, no change.
    That may or may not change things. If you shoot high thumbs, your thumb may very well get in the way no matter the hand positions.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    That may or may not change things. If you shoot high thumbs, your thumb may very well get in the way no matter the hand positions.
    I can't tell you for sure where my thumb was at all moments, but just practicing the shooting stance just now I can tell you that I naturally place my thumb on top of my middle finger which rests just under the trigger guard. This placement leaves my thumb about an inch or so below the slide release.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

I don't think it's the thumb or the way you are holding it. If it's locking back on every shot something has to be defective. Send it to Kahr for inspection/repair. My CW9 has never malfunctioned during it's 2,000 rounds. That's not one malfunction. They are good guns.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

pcon, did you take your new kahrs slide off before going to the range? If you did you may have put the slide stop pin back in on the wrong side of the spring. There is a small spring you have to insert the slide stop by and it will only work properly if you put it on the lower side of it if I recall correctly. You can check your manual to make sure about it. I did this with my CW40 and the slide locked back on each shot as you have described.

Quote Originally Posted by andersmg View Post
    pcon, did you take your new kahrs slide off before going to the range? If you did you may have put the slide stop pin back in on the wrong side of the spring. There is a small spring you have to insert the slide stop by and it will only work properly if you put it on the lower side of it if I recall correctly. You can check your manual to make sure about it. I did this with my CW40 and the slide locked back on each shot as you have described.

Interesting...I did take it off and clean it. If you put the pin back on the wrong side of the spring the slide locks back all the time?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    Interesting...I did take it off and clean it. If you put the pin back on the wrong side of the spring the slide locks back all the time?
    YES!

When you have the pin out if you look at it it has a kind of small "ramp" on it, that is supposed to slide under the small spring when you re-assemble it.

Thats the exact reason I got rid of the cw40 I had. Was sent to kahr and the same problem. I finally traded it and cash for a sig 239.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Quote Originally Posted by andersmg View Post
    +1
    I did the same thing on a PM40 I owned
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The first thing I thought of when I read your post is exactly what andersmg said. A fairly common problem with first time Kahr owners. I hope that turns out to be the case... and your problem is solved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links