can a 44mag ever compete?

This is a discussion on can a 44mag ever compete? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that the 44mag as a carry gun is more than one would ever need for two-legged defense but, with enough practice could it ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: can a 44mag ever compete?

can a 44mag ever compete?

I know that the 44mag as a carry gun is more than one would ever need for two-legged defense but, with enough practice could it ever to toe-to-toe with smaller calibers? What I mean is, could one become just as fast and accurate with a 44mag as with say a 38spl, 357 or 45acp revolver? If I practice enough could the recoil and weight of the 44mag be overcome? Or no matter how many rounds I train with am I fighting the laws of physics here? I was wondering why there aren't any fast accurate 44mag concealed carry holders out there....just wondering..

2. Remove Ads

I dont know but Harry Callahan did pretty well with the .44 mag. You shouldnt have to fire more than one shot. If you miss youll probaly scare the BG to death. I have always thought about trying a Charter Arms Bulldog to conceal. But I believe its a 44 special. Or a S&W 329 would look great in my collection.

" Go ahead punk... make my day. I know what your thinking, did he fire six shots or only five. But being this is a 44 mag, and will blow your head clean off youve got to ask yourself a question, do I feel lucky? "
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Actually compared to the 500 S&W, 454 Casull and 480 Ruger, the .44 Magnum is pretty tame. I occasionally carry a 6" M-629 in a Safariland shoulder holster. It is the only practical way to carry a gun of that size. It is important that one become proficient with such a gun. Missing could result in disaster. Anything within 100 yds could be maimed or killed. This gun will penetrate numerous walls including exterior ones. It won't go through the engine block of a car, but will penetrate just about any other part. I think your best bet is to use +P self defense loads in .44 Special. Believe me, they will stop anything that moves.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Personally I believe that the .44mag is an option to CC. Just train with it to the point that you can hit your target with that first shot, then again that should be your training anyways. Still on recoil recovery it will slow you down more then other smaller calibers. This also varies depending on shooter, so who knows. I wouldn't feel bad about CC a .44mag revolver any day, except when facing more then one BG. Then I might feel a little disadvantaged.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

i wouldn't want to take more then one shot at the target.

One of the many beauties of the .44 mag is its versatility. I've read accounts of LEOs-especially those in settings that may include rural/open areas-who carried Model 29s. A nice 4" 29 with loads approximating warm .44 spl. fodder would make a pretty useful side arm for man or beast.

PC

Administrator
    The 44 mag is actually a really accurate cartridge. The problem is the guns size and that its fairly tough to master it and shoot it really well.
    However, you can get some really tame ammo for it, or even shoot 44spcl. I really like the 44, the guns themselves are just big and heavy... for good reason though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My "back on target" time with a S&W 629 5" .44mag is four times longer than with my Colt Gov't 5" .45acp using a timer.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

If I still lived in AK, I would consider a .44 mag, but there are so many other .45 carry guns that are more easily concealed and more practical for everyday IWB carry.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

.44 Mag is considered the minimum for Alaska, and it doesn't begin to compare with the .357 Magnum 125 Grain JHP as a self defense round on the street.

IMO, for what it is, it is a good cartridge, but not my first choice for much. As far as being competative with the .44 Magnum, why? The .45 ACP revolvers give faster reloads, are softer shooting and don't beat your body up as bad with the recoil.

If you believe you can be competative with a .44 Magnum you probably can.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; July 28th, 2009 at 12:48 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    My "back on target" time with a S&W 629 5" .44mag is four times longer than with my Colt Gov't 5" .45acp using a timer.
    If you reload, I have sweet mid-range load that you can shoot all day.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

I would worry about overkill in the minds of a jury and the prosecution with the choice of weapons for SD.
    The choice of ammo for SD has even become a target for the courtroom battles to defend oneself after a shooting. I can only guess that picking a cannon would compound that argument.
    Not a very good choice for SD in areas of population as they will penetrate through about anything but a brick wall.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I'm thinking 10mm is a better rural multi-purpose defense round. 44mag may be accurate, but the guns are huge and you only get 5-6 rounds. With 10mm you can get your choice of the more familiar Glock/1911 platforms, and with it also the ability to make easy reloads.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterCartwright View Post
    One of the many beauties of the .44 mag is its versatility. I've read accounts of LEOs-especially those in settings that may include rural/open areas-who carried Model 29s. A nice 4" 29 with loads approximating warm .44 spl. fodder would make a pretty useful side arm for man or beast.

PC
    I agree. You do not need full powered .44 mag rounds. The specials will do a great job WO the recoil.

I pack a 3" 657 .41 mag loaded with 210 gr. Speer Glod Dots in the winter. Very controllable, yet powerful and know they will stop a person if I do my part.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

VIP Member
    I watched a Shooting Times episode filmed at gunsite about revolvers used for SD, all of them were either .44 specials or .44 magnums. It did stress the need for practice, which is true for whatever you carry, but double IMO for weapons chambered in such a large caliber.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links