Why 1911's for CC?

This is a discussion on Why 1911's for CC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wonder why people have 1911's as their CCW. Mainly since it is single action. Unless it is being carried cocked and locked? Comments?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why 1911's for CC?

Question Why 1911's for CC?

I wonder why people have 1911's as their CCW. Mainly since it is single action. Unless it is being carried cocked and locked?

Comments?

2. Remove Ads

Well, I carry one, and it is cocked and locked, since that is the logical way to carry it. I'm familiar with the platform, able to shoot it well, like .45acp as a carry caliber, the weapon is slim which makes concealment easier, good trigger pull on most models. A lot of benefits, and its perfectly safe to carry as such.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Well, I carry one, and it is cocked and locked, since that is the logical way to carry it. I'm familiar with the platform, able to shoot it well, like .45acp as a carry caliber, the weapon is slim which makes concealment easier, good trigger pull on most models. A lot of benefits, and its perfectly safe to carry as such.
    What he said.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    1911's are fairly thin, reliable with the right kind of ammo, and easy to point shoot with for most people. Their only downside is the limited ammo capacity, but if 7+1 doesn't stop the BG, a 10 round back up mag will help.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

VIP Member
    Just call me “old school” but I grew up around revolvers and 1911’s. There is just something comforting and comfortable about a nice 1911 that cannot be found in today’s plastic pistols.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

What they said++

I might add....
    It is such a well proven platform that ammo can be found anywhere (barring the drought of 2009), high quality parts are affordable, and there is no shortage of "well known" smiths/shops out there.
    -C1

If it ain't cocked and locked, you may as well throw it at them.

I'm not questioning the reliability, caliber. Just the fact 1911's are single action.
    But for CC it seems that the time to cock it could be a problem (I presumed resolved with extensive drills) or having the hammer "hanging out there" to catch on something could be a problem.
    I'm also a fan of the 45 (CZ97 and 1911).

VIP Member
    Carrying cocked and locked the hammer is already back and does not need to be cocked, also as close as the hammer is to the grip safety I have never had one hang up on clothing or anything else.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Yeah i've had a 1911 for a few months now and i absolutely love it. It's comfortable and i carry it cocked and locked. Just flip the safety on and dont have to worry about it. Never had it catch on anything. I will admit it's on the heavy side. It's also a little big so i just got an IWB leather holster and left it at that. Probably wouldn't carry anything else.

My Kimber is my EDC because it feels better and is smaller and slimmer. It also shoots more "solidly"...I am guessin' because it is all aluminum and steel. My XD-45 seems to have a "ringy/vibrate" feel because of the plastic components.

I much prefer shooting the Kimber.
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

Quote Originally Posted by vn6869 View Post
    I wonder why people have 1911's as their CCW. Mainly since it is single action. Unless it is being carried cocked and locked?

Comments?
    It's only single action...needs to be C&C to be useful as more than a paperweight...IMHO (I don't get the 'unless' it is being carried C&C.)

Borrowed and credit is given to...
    Chad R. Reimer

Reasons to Choose the 1911 Pistol

The 1911 pistol is one of the most popular handguns to ever hit the civilian market. During the turn of the 19th century, the first 1911 firearm was developed for military testing, with the new stronger 45ACP round, which was specified during initial testing of several competitors. The 1911 pistol won the bid, firing over five thousand rounds without a single misfire, thus making it the most ideal military pistol at the time. Over the course of time the military switched to the M9 and USP for the most part, leaving the 1911 to the civilian markets.
    Over the past twenty years, the number of producers of 1911 pistols has more than doubled, due to the universal 1911 parts; it makes for simple configuration, as well as the ability to easily customize any 1911 with relatively little experience. The 1911 parts market has taken off since the recent 1911 boom, with items like 1911 grips, 1911 holsters, and many aftermarket 1911 parts, to ensure match grade precision.

The 1911 pistol is not only ideal for a work in progress, to customize and become familiar with, but is also a must-have for many concealed carry owners, as well as standard issue for a number of police and special law enforcement agencies. With over a dozen companies producing 1911s, you have the opportunity to choose what model is right for you, despite budget or precision. Some 1911 pistols retail for around $400, but others are well over the $1,000 mark.

When it comes to choosing the right 1911 pistol, it is all a matter of individual preference. There are compact models, subcompact models, full-sized models, and even tactical 1911 carbine kits. The universal fit of 1911 parts makes them ideal for aftermarket accessories. For those who want to customize their 1911 pistol without spending time and money on gunsmiths, there are a series of videos available for 1911 pistols, with everything from care to customizing 1911s.

The 45 caliber round that made the 1911 pistol special is also the most popular round in home defense, due to the low velocity and stopping power; this hasnít changed in over one hundred years. The development of the 45ACP cartridges paved the way for new tactical carbines like the MP5 and a number of other firearms to adopt the 45ACP.

The 1911 pistol design is not only the most popular civilian pistol, but it truly has stood the test of time. With the 1911A1 World War I specs still being sold (in fact, one of the most popular firearms), its clear that despite all the custom 1911 pistols on the market, people are still reaching to the old familiar configuration. The 1911 pistol is showing no signs of stopping or slowing, even with the almost one-hundred-year-old design.

Also, look here...
    1911Pistols.com:Your Source for 1911 Pistols, 1911 Parts, 1911 Holsters, 1911 Grips, 1911 Custom Tools, and more
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    1911's ... only downside is the limited ammo capacity ....
    the unforgettable weight (just over a kg) is not a plus unless you squeeze off a shot -- but it is a very comforting reminder.
    my guess is that increasing concealed carry may help titanium soon become a 'standard customization'

as to the original question, there is a nearly century-old history (anyone else already piggy-banking for a 100 year anniversary model?) of the 1911 as an unquestionably effective sidearm. 'It's a 1911' always implies 'I'm serious' about concealable self-defense.

Quote Originally Posted by vn6869 View Post
    I'm not questioning the reliability, caliber. Just the fact 1911's are single action.
    But for CC it seems that the time to cock it could be a problem (I presumed resolved with extensive drills) or having the hammer "hanging out there" to catch on something could be a problem.
    I'm also a fan of the 45 (CZ97 and 1911).

The 'single action' feature of the 1911 is precisely why I prefer the pistol!!! I very much dislike the trigger of most 'double action' style handguns.
    "Courage is being scared to death ...... but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

I like the 1911 style myself, but I'm not comfortable carrying cocked and locked. I recently purchased a Para Ordnance CCW in stainless. Has the shape and features of a Commander but has the LDA trigger which I just love. I still like shooting my 92 year old Colt but I love carrying my new Para.
    Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
    The 'single action' feature of the 1911 is precisely why I prefer the pistol!!! I very much dislike the trigger of most 'double action' style handguns.
    What he said...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links