Sig 238 Safey Update: MANDATORY!

Sig 238 Safey Update: MANDATORY!

This is a discussion on Sig 238 Safey Update: MANDATORY! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Taken from Sig's website. P238 Upgrade SIG SAUER, Inc. has initiated a Mandatory Safety Upgrade pertaining to our new Model P238 pistols. We have determined ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig 238 Safey Update: MANDATORY!

JD [OP]
    Administrator

Exclamation Sig 238 Safey Update: MANDATORY!

Taken from Sig's website.
    P238 Upgrade

SIG SAUER, Inc. has initiated a Mandatory Safety Upgrade pertaining to our new Model P238 pistols. We have determined that a small number of P238 pistols may have safety levers that are not manufactured to factory specifications. Under certain conditions, it may be possible for the lever not to be completely engaged in the safe position. In this condition, the gun will not fire when the trigger is pulled. However, when the safety lever is moved to the off position, the hammer may fall, with the remote possibility that the gun could fire unintentionally, thus creating a risk of injury or death.

There have been no reports of any injuries or mishaps; however, in accordance with SIG SAUER, Inc.s commitment to provide customers with the highest quality products and services, we are issuing a P238 Mandatory Safety Upgrade, to return the identified product to factory specifications. Upon receipt of the firearm, SIG SAUER will, at no cost to the owner, eliminate the risk identified above by replacing the subject part and performing functional upgrades that have been incorporated into the P238, subsequent to its introduction. SIG SAUER will return the firearm, pre-paid, to the owner as quickly as possible.

If you have a SIG SAUER P238 with a serial number between DA000501 and DA003216, please cease use of the firearm immediately. Not all P238s within the identified serial number range are affected; therefore, it is imperative that you contact us via the UPGRADE HOT LINE at 1 (866) 446-1914. An operator will take your information and confirm if your firearm is required to be returned for Upgrading. If necessary, you will receive a certified package from SIG SAUER that will contain a UPS shipping return label, a Return Merchandise Authorization Number, and a box to return the firearm. Simply affix the provided UPS shipping label to the supplied box (completely covering the existing shipping label) and bring the box to a designated UPS drop-off location. Please be certain to include the magazine along with the original SIG SAUER blue gun box. If you have questions or would like further information, you may contact SIG SAUER CUSTOMER SERVICE at 603-772-2302 (Choose Option # 3).

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your immediate cooperation in the return of your P238 handgun.

Sincerely,

SIG SAUER, Inc.

Great, this is the exact reason that I refuse to purchase a new gun just out on the market.
    Ruger had problems when its LCP first came out.

Stay armed...don't be in a rush to get that new gun...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Love my old 228. Really LOVE that I sold the unfired 2 tone NS 238 and all 1500+ rounds of ammo I had stashed away within a week of buying it. Just couldn't trust the weak ballistics of a .380 for penetration and stopping power.

retsup99 hit it on the head with his first year statement.

SIG WILL make it right but this is a MAJOR safety problem and hopefully no one is injured or killed if they don't follow the golden rules of firearm safety!
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Great, this is the exact reason that I refuse to purchase a new gun just out on the market.

How true.. Let someone else be the beta testers.
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them. Richard Henry Lee 1788

OK, I'm a "heat seeker", "beta tester", whatever you want to call me, but I've always bought cars, guns, etc as soon as they hit the market. It's been fun, more fun than hassle, so I'll keep it up.

I can't help myself! I can't wait!

If only I could find a Ruger LCR I'd have one of those right now as well.

I already called in and my P238 will soon be headed to Exeter....

Distinguished Member
    JD....thanx. I'm waiting for Sig cust service to respond to other issues so I can have this taken care of at the same time. Probably just ran into a delay in return though.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

From what I've heard this actually effects only a small number of pistols. The serial range that's given on the announcement is only an estimated range. My P238 fell into that range, but when I called they said that my pistol did not require the mandatory upgrade.
    Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

I just got called by the shop for this, mine doesnt do that, I think I'm good.
    are people going to flame sig too I didnt think so.
    NO 3rd party disputes

The power of imagination is the key to life.

It helps you think ahead, consider the possibilities,and prepare you for the future.
    If you lack that ability, you're no different from livestock trapped behind a fence.

wow i was surprised by this.guess you're right ret.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

jbs

P238 safety lever problems

Seems some models of sig's P238 might have a problem with the safety lever/hammer drop and firing of a round. They list specific serial number runs and say that it does not effect all of them but you should call to find out.

P238 Upgrade
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

And here I am straining at the leash for the new 250 sub-compact to come out. Maybe I'll wait a while before buying one?
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

This is EXACTLY why I have given up on .380s! I started a thread here about four weeks ago and was amazed at the response ... some for the little pocket guns and some against. If you can't trust Sig, Ruger, Magnum Research, then you surely can't trust Kel-Tec.

For my part, I'll trust S&W (642) and Glock (19, 26 and 34). No more experimenting and losing money. I'll invest in ammunition when I can find it and more time at the range and in competition.

Amen to .380s. Talk to me again in 10 years after a decade of shakeouts.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

Thumbs up I can wait

No big deal-I'll start saving pennies (actually dollars)!
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

I hope they get the word out quickly... imagine appendix carrying your new little bitty .380 and the hammer drops... not a good situation at all. No beta testing for me thanks
    Last edited by JD; October 9th, 2009 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Addressed via PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ----------------------------------
    "Let a man never stir on his road a step
    without his weapons of war;
    for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
    of a spear on the way without."

I just bought my p238 last week and love it what a greak little gun, it will primarly be carried by my wife but I will be toting around this little jewel myself from time to time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links