Springfield 4inch Lightweight 1911, Anyone ?

This is a discussion on Springfield 4inch Lightweight 1911, Anyone ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if any of ya'll have this weapon ( the G.I. Model) and if so,how do you like it ? Pros ? Cons ...

Thread: Springfield 4inch Lightweight 1911, Anyone ?

Springfield 4inch Lightweight 1911, Anyone ?

I was wondering if any of ya'll have this weapon ( the G.I. Model) and if so,how do you like it ? Pros ? Cons ?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    After owning a SA Champion that would not run and made 5 trips back to the factory for repair and tuning I'd personally never own another chopped 1911. Really ticked me off when they added a stupid guide rod system to it on its 3rd visit. It ran after the last trip but I COULD NOT trust it and the GR made once what was a simple cleaning a royal PITA. Sold it for a loss and don't miss it at all.

My old 1990 5" Standard has ate everything I've fed it ammo wise and the only repairs to it in it's 19 years have been swapping out recoil/firing pin springs and magazine springs from Wolff on my birthday every year.

If you want advice from a real expert on shorty .45's and their frequent probems talk to Mr. Wolff himself as I did. Here is his link:

http://www.gunsprings.com/

Don't have that 1911 you're looking at but can HIGHLY recommend as 5" Mil-Spec. Heres one at a darn good price that has everything you need for a SD semi auto.

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Springfield_1911.html
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Thanks.
    It seems like the shorter ones are hit or miss .

I have a Champion, but is has the SS frame. I have had no issues at all with it - it is an excellent weapon!

From what I have seen, there are usually more issues with the sub-4~4.25 guns, usually the 3" barrels. I have a 3" SA Micro LW that runs perfectly, but I did a couple of things myself when 1 trip to SA offered no improvement.

If you do buy a milspec, be aware that the risk from hammer bite will probably be higher!

Best,

Jamie

Lead Moderator
    I carry the Champ LW with no problems.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

EAJ
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I carry the Champ LW with no problems.
    Had one small issue with mine which SA resolved quickly. Has run 100% since.

I have the Compact (officers size frame with the Champion barrel length). It runs perfectly. It does not have a guide rod and uses a bushingless bull type barrel. I have found that the Wilson magazines do seem to make closing the slide/chambering a round smoother.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EAJ View Post
    Had one small issue with mine which SA resolved quickly. Has run 100% since.

EAJ, What was the problem with yours?

I really loved the way my Champion felt in my hand and when it did shoot was a pleasure as it was accurate as all get out. Was also quicker clearing the holster than my 5".

Seeing your guys Champs is giving me the itch to buy another, but for now I'm packing a H&K P7 PSP. Been 100% reliable, accurate as a target gun and is the fastest shooting semi I've ever had the pleasure to own and shoot.

MAYBE next year I'll give a stainless Champion another try. I just couldn't trust the lemon I had for a carry weapon.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

EAJ
    I had some occasional stovepiping. The extractor required some fine tunning.

Quote Originally Posted by jg45 View Post
    I have the Compact (officers size frame with the Champion barrel length). It runs perfectly. It does not have a guide rod and uses a bushingless bull type barrel. I have found that the Wilson magazines do seem to make closing the slide/chambering a round smoother.

I'm right down the road from you, in Atoka.

Thanks for the replies ya'll, I appreciate it.

I now daily carry a Colt Defender (pretty much similar) and it has never missed a beat.

In my experience, a good number of SA 1911's come with an improperly adjusted Extractor. And, it also pays just to change it out to a good Spring Steel Cylinder and Slide Extractor too. My full size SA was like this. Easily adjusted and runs flawlessly now.

Maybe I have a guardian angel but I have never had a problem with a "chopped" 1911. I have 4 of them (3" barrels) and my wife has 1. She has had a few jams but we think we have the answer. I can fire her gun all day long and not have a single jam. She can shoot no more than three mag loads before she has a jam. We believe it is the grip. You cannot "limp wrist" these guns. You MUST have a firm grip... more so with Kimber than with Colt.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

Here's my recommendation:

I own one of the very first Champions that ever came out; of course, back in 1993 it had nowhere near the frills the ones depicted have. Nonetheless I saw it for what it was, and took it to my gunsmith, who then built it up into what it is today. If you are going to get any small 1911, you need to take to somebody that understands 1911s; factories aren't necessarily going to have the same understanding someone like a Bill Wilson, or Alex Hamilton or Dave Dawson will have. They will have talented assemblers that will check it and might replace parts without understanding fully what is wrong with your gun.

So take some advice, there is nothing wrong with a Champion, I would stake my life on mine, just make sure you take it to somebody that knows what they are doing to make sure it runs right....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Thanks, I will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsterguy View Post

I really loved the way my Champion felt in my hand and when it did shoot was a pleasure as it was accurate as all get out. Was also quicker clearing the holster than my 5".

Seeing your guys Champs is giving me the itch to buy another, but for now I'm packing a H&K P7 PSP. Been 100% reliable, accurate as a target gun and is the fastest shooting semi I've ever had the pleasure to own and shoot.

MAYBE next year I'll give a stainless Champion another try. I just couldn't trust the lemon I had for a carry weapon.
    Respect to you, sportsterguy, for being an open-minded total gun guy!

Best,

Jamie

Links