Taurus Public Defender concerns

This is a discussion on Taurus Public Defender concerns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I didn't mean to imply that .357 or .44 shot shells "are on the same par as a .410 shotgun shell" - or even close. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taurus Public Defender concerns

I didn't mean to imply that .357 or .44 shot shells "are on the same par as a .410 shotgun shell" - or even close. However, a .410 shotgun shell seems like overkill for most snakes, in my opinion. And the noise and the recoil are "not even close", either.

I wonder how many rounds of .357 or .44 shot shells the average shooter could -accurately- put into the same close range target in the time it took to squeeze off two -accurate- shots from a .410 revolver...?

Also to be considered is the potential for collateral / peripheral damage... to nearby objects and beings. While it of course must be considered with .357 and .44 shot shells, the potential for collateral / peripheral damage seems greater for a .410.

It all comes down to personal preference and specific purpose. And personal opinion. :)

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Having shot both, I can promise you it is a mistake to believe that handgun shotshells from a .357 or .44 are on the same par as a .410 shotgun shell. It's not even close.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Jay1958 View Post
    ......I wonder how many rounds of .357 or .44 shot shells the average shooter could -accurately- put into the same close range target in the time it took to squeeze off two -accurate- shots from a .410 revolver...?...........
    And it also depends on where you fall on the "chicken" scale when it comes to snakes. On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being "I let 'em crawl on my face" and 10 being "I don't want to be in the same zip code with them", I'm an 11. I DON'T LIKE SNAKES! And while pistol caliber shotshells will usually at least cripple them at 10 ft., I'd prefer to be much, much, much further away.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

As luck would have it, I just killed my first snake with .38/.357 shot shells yesterday. I live in a fairly rural area, and my neighbor told me she had a copperhead in her yard and asked me if I would kill it for her.

I got my Ruger GP100 and loaded it with six CCI .38/.357 shot shells and went over. She met me and showed me what it was. It was in a spot just a few yards from her house that it was inaccessible with a hoe or other method of dispatching it - she has fencing and wire up to guard her vegetable garden from being eaten by deer, and the copperhead was 'tucked into' the fencing and wire. It was too close to her house to let it live, and she didn't want a copperhead in her vegetable garden just a few yards from her home, anyway.

The first shot at about 6-8 feet took out a significant section of it's neck, just behind the head, but my neighbor was a little anxious because the nerves caused the head to move and she asked me to shoot it again to make sure it was dead - so I did. The second shot was pretty much a direct hit on the head, also from six to eight feet away - and it certainly put an end to it, although as I said I am pretty sure it was already dead.

I confess I was not that impressed myself with the appearance of physical damage done to the copperhead, but it was certainly effective.

In my opinion, while I still think the .410 round is overkill for most snakes, the .38/.357 shot shells - while effective - may not pack as much punch as I had previously thought they did. Personally I still prefer the .38/.357 shot shells for snake control here locally, as copperheads are the only poisonous snakes that are supposed to be indigenous to this area. I say "supposed to be", because we are not far from areas where rattlers and water moccasins are known to be, and for those - especially large ones - I can understand where somebody might want something a little more powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay1958 View Post
    Sorry, but I just can't warm up to The Judge, much less the Public Defender.

The thing that confuses me is the whole .410 shotshell/.45LC combo... it seems to me that you'd need a really good reason to want a .410 pistol before you would even consider a Judge... I'm trying to figure out what that would be? If you wanted to use 'shot shells' for snakes, .357 magnum shot shells are available, and a .357 magnum seems much better suited for either purpose - shot shell and certainly conventional pistol rounds (to me, at least) than The Judge.

I know you said you didn't want to go this route, but to me it is a novelty - although a novelty that can serve a purpose. I just think a .357 magnum revolver or a .44 special / .44 magnum revolver (with shot shells, if desired) serves those purposes far better. Just my opinion.
    i think its main purpose is to keep in an auto to use against carjackers.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Taurus a safety concern? Say it isn't so. Won't go there because I'll stir up a hornet's nest.

Saw the new Defender first-hand and have to agree that it looks like it will be tougher to manage than the bigger Judge.

Interesting. What would make the Judge or the "Public Defender" the weapon of choice against carjackers, as opposed to more conventional pistols or revolvers?

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    i think its main purpose is to keep in an auto to use against carjackers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links