XD40SC vs XD9SC

This is a discussion on XD40SC vs XD9SC within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Which would you choose for an all-around carry/range gun. I guess this is a caliber vote but in the XD Sub Compact platform. Which would ...

View Poll Results: XD9SC vs XD40SC, which one and why for all round carry/range

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • XD9SC

21 44.68%
  • XD40SC

26 55.32%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XD40SC vs XD9SC

XD40SC vs XD9SC

Which would you choose for an all-around carry/range gun. I guess this is a caliber vote but in the XD Sub Compact platform. Which would you prefer and why? XD40SC vs the XD9SC?

XD40 Pro has more power, bigger bullet
    XD40 Con Recoil is snappier and sharper

XD9 Pro has more capacity
    XD9 Con recoil is softer, quicker shots

2. Remove Ads

Ive been looking at both myself, and I'm going with with the XD40SC. It can be converted to 9mm so I can have both. IIRC the XD9SC can't be converted to 40S&W.

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
    Which would you choose for an all-around carry/range gun. I guess this is a caliber vote but in the XD Sub Compact platform. Which would you prefer and why? XD40SC vs the XD9SC?

XD40 Pro has more power, bigger bullet
    XD40 Con Recoil is snappier and sharper

XD9 Pro has more capacity
    XD9 Con recoil is softer, quicker shots
    I just got my XD9SC and i chose it over the 40 because of the more shots.... but i cant say that one is better than the other.
    Shot placement...... shot placement.......

just MHO
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Habib View Post
    Ive been looking at both myself, and I'm going with with the XD40SC. It can be converted to 9mm so I can have both. IIRC the XD9SC can't be converted to 40S&W.
    How can it be converted?

Go with the 40.....

Converted?! how in the heck could that be possible?

And just in case
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

I vote 9mm. Not because it is such a better cartidge, but just more of them, case you need them.

My CC class instructor emphasized the 9mm for another reason. More prossibility of getting addt'l (from the bad guy?) ammo if you run out.

Search XDTalk.com there are threads running there about doing this, where to get barrels, ect. It look like .357 SIG is a possibility, too.

VIP Member
    I read something about a conversion barrel on some XD forum I was looking at; here's a link to the place that makes the barrels.

https://www.efkfiredragon.com/products.php?cat=37

VR4
    I vote 9 because I had one and it was a really accurate 3" pistol. This was the first SA gun I bought and I loved it. I sold it to get a XDm 9. Wish I would of just kept it and bought the XDm 9 anyway. I will buy another one again when I can.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    With the premium 9mm ammo these days, all else being equal, I think I would go with 9mm and not look back. Not that there is anything wrong with .40, of course, and there is nothing wrong with having conversion barrels for a nice, complete system.

9mm ammo is less expensive.

9mm has a tapered case, which all else being equal, aids feeding and extraction.

9mm pistols usually hold more ammo in the same size gun, and while I do not obsess over capacity, more ammo is never a bad thing, with what I see as the increasing prevalence of bad guys moving about in armed groups.

There is less fatigue during a long shooting session. During a long session, I can only shoot so many rounds of .40 before fatigue affects accuracy, and concentration can suffer. Lesser rounds are just easier on a guy. This is true across the board; it is not just a .40 thing. It is true of .38 Special-versus-.357, too.

XD40- bigger bullet, breaks bone, inflicts more damage, ends fight quicker.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

EW3
    When I first got into CCW about 2.5 years ago, I tried a 9mm XD Service and a .40 XD Service at the range.

Hated the .40 XD due to the excessive (to me) muzzle flip. Really liked the 9mm XD and bought one that day. You get extra capacity with the 9mm as well.

Go 9mm.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

I faced a similar decision. While I believe the .40 to be a great performer, it's the affordability of the 9mm that sent me down the XD9SC road. The .40 certainly has advantages in terminal ballistics, but statistically, they're small. You'll be hard pressed to find volunteers to catch the 9.

You won't go wrong either way.
    Still Clingin'

I have never noticed his huge difference between a 9mm and a .40. Most sub compacts come with dual recoil springs which really make shooting the .40 easy. My P2000sk in .40 is a great shooter.

I shoot 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45ACP with my favorite round being the .40 in an H&K or Sig for EDC.

Several things to consider here. You shoot through a wall. A 9 mm hits the stud and stops. A .40 goes through the stud, through the next wall, and kills the little girl on the other side of the second wall. If you are going to carry a .40, you have to be constantly aware of collateral damage. You do with any gun but more so with the 9 mm as opposed to the .40.

With that said, I have both of these firearms. If I am going out shooting for fun, the 9 mm is cheaper to buy ammo for so it goes along. If I am using it as a carry firearm, the .40 goes with me. Why? ...you might ask after the first paragraph. I am always aware of my surroundings and the possibility of collateral damage. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd shots are going center of mass. A good defensive round will expand and not exit at least it won't exit with lethal force. 4th and 5th shots, if necessary are going to center of mass. If any more shots are necessary, the BG is on PCP. If he is still coming, shots 6 and 7 are going into his right hip and 8 and 9 are going into his left hip. Broken hips can not be overcome no matter what the level of drug usage. 9 mm is less likely to break the hip than .40.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links