Khar PM9 or Ruger LCP

This is a discussion on Khar PM9 or Ruger LCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for a new gun for pocket carry. I currently carry a S&W 642, it's a great gun. It's a little too wide and at ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Khar PM9 or Ruger LCP

Khar PM9 or Ruger LCP

Looking for a new gun for pocket carry. I currently carry a S&W 642, it's a great gun. It's a little too wide and at times gets uncomfortable. I still carry it always but want to expand my options. I also need to send the 642 in to get the finish repaired. I've been thinking about buying the LCP for well over a year now, but I'm also thinking about the PM9. I would like to go with the larger caliber 9mm but I'm concerned about size. I've never seen a PM9 in person so I haven't been able to compare them.

What do you think? Is the size difference minimal? Would I be able to carry the PM9 in my pocket with no issues?

2. Remove Ads

Don't know about the PM9 but the LCP sure fits my pocket. Love my 642 too. The LCP is great summer carry or BUG.
    Ain't no fun when the rabbit has a gun!

EW3
    I had an MK9 which was the all steel version of the PM9 and to be honest it was a little big for the pocket. It's doable, but if you were unhappy with a J frame in the pocket, you'll be in the same boat with the PM9 as they are very similar in size, with the only difference being the Kahr is flatter. They are better suited to be belt guns, IMO.

Why don't you check out the Kahr P380 vs the LCP, which are both .380 and very similar in size?

I have an LCP and love how easy it is to conceal in the pocket. It's very flat and holds 6+1 of .380 and I've also heard good things about the P380.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

I carry the PM9 in my pocket daily. I also have the option of a 642 but it is too wide for pocket carry for what I wear (khaki type pants and shorts). While not really shorter, height is better and width is considerably better.

And while I have many guns, including a Sig X-five competition trigger, I love shooting my PM9. Sure, it flips, but that long, constant trigger pull is very accurate for me.

I carry it in a carbon fiber pocket case that holds an extra magazine from: Stellar_Pocketholsters

The PM9 is definitely doable in a pocket. It is also a much more potent fighting gun.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    I had an MK9 which was the all steel version of the PM9 and to be honest it was a little big for the pocket. It's doable, but if you were unhappy with a J frame in the pocket, you'll be in the same boat with the PM9 as they are very similar in size, with the only difference being the Kahr is flatter. They are better suited to be belt guns, IMO.

Why don't you check out the Kahr P380 vs the LCP, which are both .380 and very similar in size?

I have an LCP and love how easy it is to conceal in the pocket. It's very flat and holds 6+1 of .380 and I've also heard good things about the P380.
    True, the MK9 and PM9 are the same size. The PM9 however is a lot lighter (MK9=24 oz PM9=15.9 oz, that's unloaded with a magazine inserted). I have no problem pocket carrying my PM9 in a pair of khakis pants or cargo shorts.

No experience with the LCP though, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    The PM9 is definitely doable in a pocket. It is also a much more potent fighting gun.
    yeah, I forgot to mention that too. While the LCP is a little smaller, giving up the 9mm for that small of a size difference I personally wouldn't do. If I were going to drop down to a 380 or 32ACP I would go seecamp....man, those things are small!

But even though a gun you have with you is better than one you left at home, I want a 9mm. And since the PM9 is easy to pocket, I don't leave it home.

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by dam294 View Post
    True, the MK9 and PM9 are the same size. The PM9 however is a lot lighter (MK9=24 oz PM9=15.9 oz, that's unloaded with a magazine inserted). I have no problem pocket carrying my PM9 in a pair of khakis pants or cargo shorts.

No experience with the LCP though, sorry.
    I was getting at more of the dimensions of the MK9 and the PM9 being the same, rather than the weight. I still wouldn't try to carry either in jeans, while you can carry the LCP in them no problem.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Not even in the same ballpark.

I have the PM9 and a P3AT (whom Ruger cloned for the LCP)

The PM9 is much thicker and much more difficult to pocket carry, especially in a jeans front pocket. Forget khaki's, cargo shorts, etc unless you are a mall ninja, live in the sweltering deep South or don't ever get even halfway dressed up. Sorry folks, but people in the rest of the country actually wear jeans.

I think the better question is which caliber are you willing to settle for?

LCP/P3AT is THE go to gun for throwing in your pocket and heading out. It is also an up close and personal gun.

The PM9 offers better ballistics in a small package, just not small enough to throw in a pocket and forget about it.

Another factor in my choice would be ammo availability. Around here .380 has been very scarce. A lot more so than 9mm.

A mentioned above LCP/P-3AT are basically the same. I have the P-3AT. It's a first gen and I've had it for over 6 years. I usually carry a Kimber Ultra or a Glock-36, but for a quick trip or a needed pocket gun, the P-3AT (or a LCP)...you can't beat the concealment, and it will still take care of touble in a WW parking lot.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I went back and forth over this myself for a long time but wound up with the PM9. I am very happy with it. It does carry in my shorts, including jeans shorts.

Would an LCP be slightly easier to carry? Yes but I will take IMO the better cartridge and better availability and better price of the 9mm.

If snug jeans are a problem carry in your rear pocket as that is easier to access. BTW I sold my j frame to purchase the PM9 because it was easier to carry and shoot.

PM9

Another vote for the PM9. A great shooting gun. Will eat 9mm +p.
    Fits in jean pockets fine if you don't wear disco/cowboy tight jeans.

I am shooting Winchester Ranger T series +p law enforcment rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by xgunslingerx View Post
    Looking for a new gun for pocket carry. I currently carry a S&W 642, it's a great gun. It's a little too wide and at times gets uncomfortable. I still carry it always but want to expand my options. I also need to send the 642 in to get the finish repaired. I've been thinking about buying the LCP for well over a year now, but I'm also thinking about the PM9. I would like to go with the larger caliber 9mm but I'm concerned about size. I've never seen a PM9 in person so I haven't been able to compare them.

What do you think? Is the size difference minimal? Would I be able to carry the PM9 in my pocket with no issues?
    I have both and pocket carry both...I don't know how to put a link in here to another thread but I posted a range and carry review of my PM9 last week, look it up I think I gave a positive review of the Kahr.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dam294 View Post
    Another factor in my choice would be ammo availability. Around here .380 has been very scarce. A lot more so than 9mm.
    I can speak for this one.

My coworker has an LCP. Great little gun, came with Crimson Trace trigger guard. In the pocket holster, it's invisible in the front pocket of his slacks.

BUT he is at every ammo-selling store in town each freight morning, just trying to get his hands on .380

So if you dont mind the extra size, something in 9mm may be a more viable option right now...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links