Defensive Carry banner

revolver for CCW?

5K views 26 replies 26 participants last post by  GettingOld2 
#1 ·
Ok, the Mrs. wants a carry revolver that is roughly 3in barrel, bigger than the 442S&W, and "less bulky than the 686 S&W" I think she wants a 686 thats easier to carry and lighter weight and a little bit smaller, but she does not like small grips or short barrels.

Im trying to find the 'perfect gun' to try and encourage her to carry.

What on earth fits this? I only have experiences with those two models so that's hows shes shot them. She does not like automatics.

females advice greatly encouraged. She does not want to make to many lifestyle changes and dresses like a typical college girl. Over shirt sweat shirts and coats are fine, but I doubt shed do IWB or purse carry.

#3 ·
Model 19/66, 2 1/2 or 3" barrel...

Or, the SP101.

#4 ·
Tough one, I bought my wife a S&W 637...thought it would be the perfect gun for her...WRONG!
She has settled on a Glock-26...we are working into a carry mode.

I still think that the S&W snubbie was a perfect carry gun for her, but I've since learned that SHE has to pick it out.:yup:

I'd suggest letting her shop, search, and decide...:rolleyes:

#5 ·
Sounds like the 3" SP101. They're still to be had for reasonable prices. A simple $8 spring kit and 10 minutes and the trigger pull is lighter but still reliable. Sights are a bit better than regular J frames and the stock grip is excellent. They handle recoil well, even with medium power .357 but they are heavy!!

#6 ·
Just start looking on-line at various S&W, Taurus, and similar lines. Something will strike her fancy. When I read this, my thought was a Taurus 617 , 7-shot. Some say that "you cannot carry and conceal" a 617. I bought one and find it very very easy to carry and conceal vs other guns.

#7 ·
+1 on the SP101. I bought my wife a Taurus 905, which she likes but the gun has issues. I picked up a 637 but she's not liking the recoil. I'm now considering trading the 637 towards a 3" SP101. I think the size, weight, and extra barrel length would make for a nicely balanced house gun for her.

BTW, Bud's Gun Shop currently has SP101's in stock for $437 delivered (+3% for CC purchases). That's a really good deal, I may end up buying one outright instead of trading.

#10 ·
The perfect revolver you mention, would be a 3" K-frame magnum, pre lock of course. I chose the 3" model 66. A 2.5" 66 would do just as well.

Unless you are storming beaches, or kicking in crack house doors, a revolver serves as well as any handgun for CCW or HD. Regards 18DAI.

#17 ·
Agree with 18DAI

The perfect revolver you mention, would be a 3" K-frame magnum, pre lock of course. I chose the 3" model 66. A 2.5" 66 would do just as well.
I would agree with this - enough weight to handle magnums but small enough to easily conceal.

#11 ·
You could always check out the S&W Model 60. It is still a J-frame but available in 3" barrel, is steel so the recoil won't be as much as the 442 but the weight is not that bad (24oz), it can handle 357, and is the 5 shot cylinder so it won't be a "bulky" as a 6 shot K frame. It also comes with larger grips than the pocket j frames.

They even have a "Ladysmith" version if that interests her, though only available in a 2 1/8" barrel so shorter than you mentioned:

Other than that the Ruger Sp101 is a great choice. I have one and love it to death. The only thing is that with the 3" barrel it only comes with fixed sights, which I prefer on my CCW revolver but not all do. I have one with the 2.25" barrel, but they are very nice in the 3"

#14 ·
A good friend has a Smith & Wesson Model 36 with a 3" barrel. It is sweet! Quite accurate and since it's all-steel, it handles the recoil quite well. The rounded grip really fits a small hand comfortably, too.

#15 ·
Agree with the 2 posters that said model 66. This is a great gun. Shoots well and fits in almost everyone's hand. Think about a 686 that has been downsized slightly which truly is where the 686 came from.

The big knock on 66s was that the frame did not support .357 magnum well. The truth is a steady diet of low weight .357s was bad. You could however use 147 grain ect. with no issues. Not to mention that most people practice with .38s.

A great gun to carry and shoot.

#20 ·
I tripped over a S+W Model 64 snubby a couple of years ago. 2-1/2 inch barrel, no heavier than a Ruger SP101, and 6 shots instead of 5. This one happens to have a factory DAO conversion with a bobbed hammer, as well. I added a pair of Eagle smooth Secret Service grips in place of those wimpy Magna grips, with no loss in concealability but a big gain in control. "Only" a .38 but with some good +P loads it's a competent weapon.

#23 ·
I do not own a revolver and they seem wider to CC to me, but I am willing to try anything... especially a new gun! Thanks for all the revolver and snubbie posts I am tracking what is out there for a future purchase...

#27 ·
Heresy:

Ruger SP101 .327

6 shots instead of 5. The heaviest 115gr GoldDot at nearly 1400 fps hits with 500 ft-lbs and the recoil of a hot .38+p. The 85gr Hydra-shok exceeds 1400 fps with a recoil comparable to a .38. You can also shoot the much lighter H&R .32 Mags as well as fling plain old .32's at targets.

They are hard to find, and Ruger had a cylinder problem in one of their production runs. I had to send mine back for repair, but it's fine now. I put on a 9 lb Wolff spring and Hogue grips and it's even better.

Right now I can readily find the 85gr Hydra-shoks, the 115gr Speer's erratically, but I haven't seen the cheaper 100gr JSP's in months.

Just a thought!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.