OK, one of my "dreams" is coming true...

This is a discussion on OK, one of my "dreams" is coming true... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The HK P30 is going to be available in a C&L variant and according to the website, there will be a P30LS ( L ong/ ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK, one of my "dreams" is coming true...

JD [OP]
    Administrator

OK, one of my "dreams" is coming true...

The HK P30 is going to be available in a C&L variant and according to the website, there will be a P30LS (Long/Safety)

Some variants of the P30 offers additional safety features. The ambidextrous safety lever can be handled by both left and right hand shooters. With the centrally arranged de-cocking latch the pistol can be carried in a "cocked and locked" condition as well as easily de-cocked.
    This is what I've been waiting for since the P30 came out. Once these hit the state's I'll be on this like white on rice during a blizzard.

Photo (P30S) from HK website:

Now all I need is an affordable Sig 226 in SAO.

Looks like I should go ahead and order a VersaMaxII next month, maybe by the time the holster is done these will be getting imported...

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    The HK P30 is going to be available in a C&L variant and according to the website, there will be a P30LS (Long/Safety)

This is what I've been waiting for since the P30 came out. Once these hit the state's I'll be on this like white on rice during a blizzard.

Photo (P30S) from HK website:

Now all I need is an affordable Sig 226 in SAO.
    Wait, so this variant retains the button-style decocker at the rear of the slide, and the side-mount lever is a 2-position, manual safety ONLY (as opposed to the 3-position, "up=safe / middle=off safe / down=decock" of the USP and HK45c, etc.)?

Interesting... I likeee.... Thanks for the heads-up!

Looking forward to seeing these state-side also...

Regards,

Bones
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    I'm stoked, the only reason I passed on the P30 before was that I hated the DA/Sa trigger and at the time they were saying no LEM, they can be converted to LEM (I just learned that today too) but I'd much rather have the C&L carry that I know and love, couple that with the push button decocker and....well I just really like it.

That was another thing I didn't like about the USP line, I was always worried that if I had one in the C&L position that I would mash the safety down and decock the pistol.

Score one for HK!!!!

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    This is one of the reasons HK is such a great company... they make so many variants. Great guns made the way you want them. Whereas I'm not interested in safeties on my carry guns, I realize there are those that do, and I'm happy this is available for you. The P30 is a great gun. Over the years I've grown to appreciate the mag release and decocker of the P-series.

Sweet looking pistol, H&K certainly ranks with the best from Sig Sauer, Glock, CZ and Beretta. I have actually grown quite fond of polymer frame pistols, but there will always be a soft spot in my heart for 1911 style pistols, especially Colt Combat Commanders. Let us know when you get your H&K P30 long safety C&L and how you like it JD. There is always room for one more in my stable of handguns!
    God bless our troops!

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    The P30S is supposedly going to be available sometime in the last quarter of '09, so we should be seeing it soon. Hopefully the 30LS won't be far behind it as that's the model I'll be seeking.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
    Wait, so this variant retains the button-style decocker at the rear of the slide, and the side-mount lever is a 2-position, manual safety ONLY (as opposed to the 3-position, "up=safe / middle=off safe / down=decock" of the USP and HK45c, etc.)?

Interesting... I likeee.... Thanks for the heads-up!

Looking forward to seeing these state-side also...

Regards,

Bones
    It appears as if that is the way it's going to work, I found this tidbit on the website (Global, not US)

Some variants of the P30 offers additional safety features. The ambidextrous safety lever can be handled by both left and right hand shooters. With the centrally arranged de-cocking latch the pistol can be carried in a "cocked and locked" condition as well as easily de-cocked.

HK is still putting the darned magazine release at a nearly-inaccessible place for those of us with smaller hands and shorter fingers.

The P30 ain't bad, but I'd be all over a pair of HK P2000SK's like "white on rice" if it weren't for the fact that I simply cannot reach and operate the mag release. Oh, for a "standard" 1911-style mag release on those puppies. HK ...... are you listening?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    At least on the P30 and HK45 (Not compact) they made the paddle a little longer. I think the trick is to use either the trigger finger, middle finger, or weak side thumb to actuate the mag release. I think it's a neat idea for having a truly ambi mag release that doesn't require the button to me moved or risk manipulation on the outer portion of the gun, but agree that it would definitely take some getting used to and that I would prefer a 1911ish mag release....And they claimed the USP was designed with American shooters in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    At least on the P30 and HK45 (Not compact) they made the paddle a little longer.
    They did a bang-up job on the P30, no doubt. The first thing I asked a couple of good gunsmiths was whether they'd be able to fit the P30's lever into the P2000SK. No can do, apparently.

I think the trick is to use either the trigger finger, middle finger ...
    Doesn't work, for me.

... or weak side thumb to actuate the mag release.
    Yes, that would work. But then, it would be a two-handed magazine eject, at a time when the off-hand has a magazine in hand ready to inject. Under stress, I can just see that magazine being fumbled.

I think it's a neat idea for having a truly ambi mag release that doesn't require the button to me moved or risk manipulation on the outer portion of the gun ...
    By far, IMO, HK has the best design going, for ambidextrous operation. Ambi slide release, ambi mag release, ambi safety, ambi decocker. And in the P30, a grip that can be reshaped with different panels. It's hard not to appreciate the genius of the design. But for small paws, the USP, P2000 and P30 have a bit too much "trunk on the tree," so to speak.

If they come out with a P30 sub-sub-compact, I'll be there to test one out. And if they can alter the mag release to work for small hands, I'll likely buy one sight-unseen on the principle that they've gotten everything else right on the design.

ONe of my shooting buddies has the P30L and really likes it. He is using it as his IDPA pistol. He also has 2 of the regular P30s for EDC and backup uses.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

That almost got me REAL excited!!

At first I thought you meant Obama was resigning!!I guess the HK is the NEXT best thing!! Nice pistol,by the way!!!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    HK is still putting the darned magazine release at a nearly-inaccessible place for those of us with smaller hands and shorter fingers.
    Try this. While holding the gun in your hand take your trigger finger out of the trigger guard and press down on the mag release. After I discovered this, it is so simple, I wish all guns had that feature.

I have some nice guns, and the P-30 (I have the plain one) is the finest handgun I own. Easy to rack the slide. Slide release in the perfect position, grip like it was made for my hand. Exceptional quality, has never failed to fire.
    Too bad I'm a lousy shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Try this. While holding the gun in your hand take your trigger finger out of the trigger guard and press down on the mag release.
    Doesn't work, one-handed. I can move the index finger out of the trigger guard, but no finger on my strong hand is anywhere near long enough to reach that far down, to where HK has placed the release. It's too far away to simply move the fingers in/out/around. In order to bridge that gap, I must make a wholesale repositioning of my entire hand, so much so that the gun nearly falls out of my hand. That's just bad juju. Not for me, on a carry gun.

Contrast the CZ P-01, which has a fairly good-sized grip circumference. The key is that the magazine release is tucked up higher, in the typical position of a 1911-style magazine release. At THAT position, I can operate it fine. Placed 1/2" lower and more forward, as HK does on the P2000SK, I simply cannot reach it. Would that I could.

I do not understand all the issues with the H&K mag release. Initially I had problems until someone on the H&K Forum said it should not be treated as an ambi release.

Just rotate your hand slightly clockwise and use your trigger finger on one paddle and your thumb on the other. It sounds difficult but you need only a fraction of the pressure on both paddles for a fast smooth release. Your hand will almost rotate back by itself. It is fast and reliable.

I have only medium sized hands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links