New Sig 228R

This is a discussion on New Sig 228R within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally decided that a sig would be my best bet for a duty gun. I haven't been happy with the issued glocks and I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Sig 228R

New Sig 228R

I finally decided that a sig would be my best bet for a duty gun. I haven't been happy with the issued glocks and I ended up getting a really good deal on this sig.

I was stuck between it and an HK P30. The double action on the P30 felt better, but the Sig had better sights and more aftermarket sights available. My FFL said if I got the Sig he would do some trigger work on it so I decided to go for it. About an hour after purchase it was done.

We tested mine out of the box with a lyman trigger gauge ( 5 pulls for each action and took the average). Double action tested in at 11 pounds 5.5 ounces and single came in at 6 pounds .5 ounces. We put a 17 pound main spring and polished some of the parts and got it down to about 9 pounds 9 ounces double (and it felt smooth) and 5 pounds 5 ounces single.

Its accurate as any sig should be and now that the double action is smooth as butter I am just as accurate with that as I am in single action. Now just to decide what sights I want. Here are some pics (I am not much of a photog anyway):

‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I don't know why I havent picked one of these up yet, I suure like my old 228s.

I'm sure this one will serve you well and BTW, the SRT trigger is worth doing.
    "Just blame Sixto"

sweet! I want that SRT trigger on my 226, and smooth up the trigger a bit, even tough it feels just fine the way it is now

also, I HIGHLY recommend some TRU-GLO sights. thats good about them is that they are green/green or green/yellow in daylight too, so it helps alot with target acquisition over white color.

I need a 228 as the 226 is a bit too big to carry... I could use the shorter grip of the 228

Sixto,

If you want one your should act soon. The sig rep my FFL uses says these are a limited run (they are still made in Germany) and they probably won't be importing anymore of them. They usually go for about $820 around here with night sites.

— George Mason

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I like it... looks like an exceptional carry gun...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

man, whats with that grip? I've never seen one so worn down like that!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    I finally decided that a sig would be my best bet for a duty gun. I haven't been happy with the issued glocks and I ended up getting a really good deal on this sig.

I was stuck between it and an HK P30. The double action on the P30 felt better, but the Sig had better sights and more aftermarket sights available. My FFL said if I got the Sig he would do some trigger work on it so I decided to go for it. About an hour after purchase it was done.

We tested mine out of the box with a lyman trigger gauge ( 5 pulls for each action and took the average). Double action tested in at 11 pounds 5.5 ounces and single came in at 6 pounds .5 ounces. We put a 17 pound main spring and polished some of the parts and got it down to about 9 pounds 9 ounces double (and it felt smooth) and 5 pounds 5 ounces single.

Its accurate as any sig should be and now that the double action is smooth as butter I am just as accurate with that as I am in single action. Now just to decide what sights I want. Here are some pics (I am not much of a photog anyway):

This one is special. I just started selling Sig's but can't get this model. It is not made in the U.S.A. and is not listed in any of my catalogs or databases. As for trigger jobs. Your smith knows his stuff. Know what happens when you polish it more? The only thing I would question is why you did not have the hammer bobbed to avoid snags.

Hang on to it . the are not many like it . This one is is I believe Swiss made, not German as Someone mentioned.
    Most Sig's in the US are manufactured in New Hampshire but not the 228 model.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

good choice.i have a 228 and love it

I love my "OLD" 228. It however is my secondary EDC. My Dept. approves Glock .40. It is sooooo accurate. Will never sell it. Good Choice.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    I shoot high thumb and the pattern on the grips was very uncomfortable, so I alleviated the part that rubbed the worst.

As for SigP250's question, I didn't bob the hammer for carry because its main purpose it a duty gun, and I have never had a problem snagging the small sig hammer on anything, especially when concealing it.

— George Mason

I have a 229 R "CPO" and it is a great gun. If your 228 is as good you are going to love it. My 229 is my daily CCW.
    "A man has got to know his limitations"
    Harry Callahan
    "Talk soft carry a big stick"
    Teddy Roosevel
    I Cor. 10:13 "KJV 1611"

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    I think that may just be a smudge on the photo . . . I hope so anyway.

OOOPS! I missed the part where he explained the grip . . . disregard!
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    I shoot high thumb and the pattern on the grips was very uncomfortable, so I alleviated the part that rubbed the worst.

As for SigP250's question, I didn't bob the hammer for carry because its main purpose it a duty gun, and I have never had a problem snagging the small sig hammer on anything, especially when concealing it.
    I did check with Sig Sauer. This model is an older limited edition pistol. It was Swiss designed. Some were imported to the U.S and
    manufactured in Germany. Some were actually made at Sig Sauer in New Hampshire. There is nothing that makes this 9mm superior to any other Sig's except for collector value and the love that one may have for a particular Sig model.

This one is a keeper. ENJOY!
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Looks like you picked up a great 'partner' there...nice choice!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Bravo on the new acquisition. Not to hijack the thread, but I am curious about something. I have heard several people(none on this forum) say recently that the current made SIG pistols aren't as good quality-wise. Why are they saying this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links