I feel under gunned with a 380

This is a discussion on I feel under gunned with a 380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I have a Bersa 380 CC that I carry on the weekdays. It is better then not carrying nothing at all but when I ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Well I have a Bersa 380 CC that I carry on the weekdays. It is better then not carrying nothing at all but when I do carry it I feel under gunned. I have to dress business casual during the week for work so I need a smaller framed gun for concealment. I thought I would see what my options were without spending a ton of money. I know Kahr would be the best bet but those things are expensive. I know what you are thinking, how much is your life worth? well you have to have it in order to spend it.

So I did some homework and came across the Kel-Tec P11 and the SCCY CPX-1 9MM. I wanted something that was the same size as the Bersa 380 or close to it.

I decided to take my chances with the SCCY.

I read mixed reviews on the SCCY. You either love them or hate them reviews. Reminded me of my Glock the way people talk about them. Some people have had really bad luck withe these guns. So I bought it. I took it to the range and it was nothing but problems. It seems one of the known problems with them is your thumb hitting the safety and engaging it while shooting. I put 100 rounds through it and I was so upset with it I just put it back in the case and broke out my Glock to finish my range session with. I kept hitting the safety with my thumb knuckle just enough to engage it. If I really concentrated on my thumb I could make sure I would not hit it but in a self defense situation my thumb is going to be the last thing on my mind.

The CPX-1 has a lone trigger pull, just like the LCP as a matter of fact, I own one of them also. SCCY has a safety removal kit that they give to customers that request them. I called them up and requested the kit. I never use external safety's unless it is a 1911. They asked me why and I told them. They shipped it out on Friday and I had it Tuesday. I installed it. It took about 3 minutes. I proceed to load up my range bag with 300 rounds and of to the range I went.

I fired 200 rounds through it no problem. All 200 went through no problem. Because of the size, this is not a fun gun to shoot 200 times in a row. The recoil is a bit snappy. But for a self defense situation it would be just fine.

I will put a few hundred more rounds through it and if it survives it will become my weekly carry.

Here is the Bersa and the SCCY

I'm surprised they don't modify the safety lever. It looks like you could re-engineer that part, to allow for more thumb clearance.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

I understand your thinking...

I must admit that I also feel a bit 'weaker' with my P-3AT on the ocassions that I only take it along (up to the store in gym shorts, etc.), but it can still save a life.
    Granted, the little KelTec is not a fun range gun either, but after no problems for 6+ years...there is not a complaint from me concerning its place for usefulness.

It's not my normal Kimber or Glock, but it is sure easy to hide. I can put my .380 in a SOB holster inside my gym shorts...no belt...and it stays right there. I've even kept it in place at the gym doing my cardio...great little gun, but not a .45, obviously.

I would be more concerned about 'flipping the safety' back on type problems than it ability to protect from a bad situation because of size.
    OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks for the report
    I looked at those guns but went with the PF9 instead
    and am very happy with it.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

I agree with the PF9 comment. Doesn't look to be much bigger than your Bersa and greater ammo availability.

Cool

My Kahr CW9 was $409 here in NC. Perfect in all respects.

I also forgot to mention that the spec's on the CPX-1 says 10 rounds in the mag but I can fit 11 rounds in both mags. So really it is a 11+1 gun. A little bonus there.

I would have gone with the P11.... more ammo, (even so than PF9) and roughly the same size, and people that have PF9s and P11s are very happy customers.

Well. I dont know if this would work for you, but some of the 5 shot snubbies from S&W could fit in khaki pockets very well. But if you really like automatics, then an Mtac and virtually any gun you want would work.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Hdawson, did you find a CW9 for that price lately? Been looking and can't find one locally for less than 550. thx

Quote Originally Posted by zdinnd View Post
    Well. I dont know if this would work for you, but some of the 5 shot snubbies from S&W could fit in khaki pockets very well. But if you really like automatics, then an Mtac and virtually any gun you want would work.
    I went from a BERSA Thunder Duotone to a S&W 642 some time back. I haven't regretted it at all. Hides well in all of my pants, shorts and jeans and still gives me a bigger bullet.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

CW9's are $400 here in Utah.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

Because of it's small size and light weight I carry my KT P3AT more than any other gun.
    However, when I go to church I carry either a 9mm or .45. Sometimes I do carry a .38 Spl. My reason for that is that I do not expect to be attacked anytime, but I feel an obligation to others at church and want to be able to stop any attack as fast as possible. The situation at church is a little more complicated than protecting myself going to the store.

Regards,
    Jerry

I understand were your coming from regarding a 380. And thatís why I carry the little Kel-Tec only when I canít carry a real gun.

But accuracy regardless of caliber is the answer.

I carry a 380 almost everyday( and yes I have Bigger guns)and never feel outgunned or undergunned.Ive said it before, A lot of people forget why they carry, We are supposed to carry for our protection, we are not in the marines.If I cant get done what I need to with my Bersa, or my P-3AT, then im probably screwed anyway. I can assure you a couple 380 rounds at center mass or the head and your problem will be resolved.
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links