Sig Sauer P239

This is a discussion on Sig Sauer P239 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All, I'm new to these boards... this is only my first real post if you discount my introduction post in the "I'm new here!" ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sig Sauer P239

Sig Sauer P239

Hello All,

I'm new to these boards... this is only my first real post if you discount my introduction post in the "I'm new here!" forums.

So I recently received my CWP (I took the course here in Florida almost immediately after turning 21) and intend to carry. I went to a gun range today that sells guns to take a look at some of the guns I'd researched online (and searched through these forums before joining) and think that the P239 is the favorite among those I checked out.

I've long been a fan of Sig Sauer. Easily 95% of my pistol shooting has been with my father's two Sigs, a P229 9mm and P232 .380, so I'm comfortable with the brand and the maintenance and all that. I suppose I was a little biased when I walked in... not that is a bad thing necessarily.

Now, I know there are many variants of the P239, the SAS the Tactical the DAK and so on, so I was hoping to get some of your individual opinions on each of them (if you happen to have any experience with them) and what the advantages of the different variants are as they apply to concealed carry.

Further, what are your individual thoughts in terms of caliber? I'm drawn to the 9mm immediately because of my comfort with shooting 9mm in general, but I've considered the .40 caliber as well. I welcome any thoughts on this topic.

Just as a note, I also had a look at the H&K P2000 and the Glock G26 (9mm) and G27 (.40 caliber).

Any thoughts an opinions are welcome!
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    What felt the best in your hands? Since you have experience with the Sig 229, the 239 might be the way to go for a start anyway, more tend to follow you home, so watch out!

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    What felt the best in your hands? Since you have experience with the Sig 229, the 239 might be the way to go for a start anyway, more tend to follow you home, so watch out!
    That's actually why I liked the P239 - it felt best in hand. The Walther I picked up, but didn't seem to write down the model on, felt like a toy. The H&K was okay but didn't feel right for some reason... I'm a little too inexperienced to say why exactly but it felt funny. The Glock was a good feel. When I picked the P239 up it just felt right for some reason... comfortable and easy to control.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Of your choices, I grab the Glock-26...small, dependable, and 9mm (wihich is just fine until you get bigger ...then we'll let you try a .45)...don't ignore the Glock-36, which has the thinnest grip of all the Glocks.
    In the end, YOU must decide which gun is actually calling your name.

Stay armed...have fun searching for that favorite carry gun...stay safe!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; July 31st, 2009 at 09:12 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

239 is a great weapon. G26 is nice too, but bit small. if the 239 fits your hand. i'd stick with that. I'm a sucker for 'capacity' though

that being said, 9mm is a great round. ESPECIALLY if you are comfortable with it. that is the key. if you add all the debates on 9mm vs 40 and 45 on the internet, it would be over a million pages!!! I love the .45 round, but I stick with 9mm because I can hit anything anywhere from a respectable distance. I can't do this with a .45

so

P239 = Great weapon, go with it. I reccomend SAS (because its the one designed for carry purposes being anti snag. everything is smoothened) DA/SA if you are planning on carry, you don't need tactical threaded barrel for a carry pistol lol. I like DA/SA because its the best of both worlds (single and double, you get to choose)

9mm = great caliber with today's cartridges... get a Ranger T +P+ or a speer gold dot +P 127gr. both excellent and proven ammo

now if it was me, I would go with a P228 or a P229, mainly because its more of a full size gun, and works perfect and hides well with a good holster. not to mention u have close to double the ammo

Lead Moderator
    The 239 in 9 MM (At least mine), is a real tack driver. The only change I've made is the addition of Hogue grips. Don't think you can go wrong with one.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Love my 239 .40. I also considered the guns you mentioned, but went with the Sig based on feel and reputation. The only downsides I can see to my EDC are capacity (but 7+1 is probably enough) and it' s a little heavier than the other guns you mentioned. Despite the extra weight, I carry it with zero problems in summer and winter. Don't think you need the SAS. I've never had an issue with mine snagging on any clothing or holster.

I think you've talked yourself into a Sig. Stop thinking about it so much and press with the 239. You won't be disappointed.

PM sent. Selling a mint P239 in .40 that has been sitting in my safe since I got it a few years back. Gun has less than 500 rounds thru it. I personally prefer my Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    The 239 in 9 MM (At least mine), is a real tack driver. The only change I've made is the addition of Hogue grips. Don't think you can go wrong with one.
    What can anyone tell me about these Hogue grips? I've read this a number of places, but I'm not familiar with them.

I own a Sig 239 (.40) and a Glock 26 (9MM) and my personal choice of the two is the Sig Sauer. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the glock but the sig is a better quaility gun overall. The Glock is less expensive as Sigs tend to be pricey. I believe the reason for that is they are just made better. I like you, was uncertain whether to go with the 9MM or the .40 cal. However after shooting both, I opted for the more powerful .40. Both were comparable where accuracy was concerned. The Sig is heavier but the Glock is thicker. The Glock mag holds 10 and the Sig 7 rounds. Neither the cost of ammo nor the recoil of the .40 is that much beyond the 9mm. For my two cents, I recommend the Sig 239 in .40 cal.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Quote Originally Posted by gdm320 View Post
    What can anyone tell me about these Hogue grips? I've read this a number of places, but I'm not familiar with them.
    The stock Sig (plastic) grips leave a lot to be desired. You can get Hogue rubber grips for about $18.00 and they work great but don't look as nice. I tried the rubber grips and liked them but once I got used to the .40 cal, I purchased a smooth set of Hogue wooden grips. Try the rubber first, you'll like the way they feel. But I can't honestly feel any difference shooting with the wooden grips.
    Last edited by Mardet65; August 1st, 2009 at 09:02 AM.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

First time I ever saw a 239 up close was at a defensive handgun class. I REALLY liked it. Might like to have one some day.

VIP Member
    Really can't help you with info on the Sig's. As far as caliber, shoot them both and see which one you shoot better. The 9mm will be cheaper to shoot than .40 cal. Your going to have more felt recoil with the .40 cal. If your able to shoot both equally I'd recommend .40 cal over 9mm.

While your looking, if your dealer carry CZ firearms you might be interested in looking at the CZ75 P-01 (9mm) or the CZ75 P-06 (.40 cal). CZ's are well built, rugged and priced right.

Another Sig fan

I've owned a P239 in 9mm for about a year and like the gun very much. It has been accurate and absolutely reliable for me at the range, and I have carried it part of the time (I like variety). The gun has a very compact grip for easy concealment, and is pretty lightweight at 27.5 ounces empty. I use Federal HST ammo in 147 grain size in the gun.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I just bought my 239 (9mm) in April and have put about 1400 rounds or so through it so far. +1 on the tack-driver comment. It's also scarily accurate! Everyone who has "played" with my Ziggy gets that gleam in their eye and a big grin and says how much they like it.

Three things though:
    1) I have the DAK. Since it is my first gun, I am used to it, but most folks who tend to shoot SA/DA have a bit of an awkward moment or two, especially with the 7lb trigger pull every time, until they get used to it. Almost always within the time it takes to empty the first mag.
    2) I use hand lotion alot and shoot outdoors, even in the rain. I didn't like the plastic-y factory grips, because my hands would slide, so I bought this very thin rubber "sleeve" that the gunsmith put on for me. You keep the factory grips, but it's like the gun is wearing a thin rubber tube now, which I think is a lot more comfortable.
    3) I have noticed that folks who "try" it tend to shoot low. I don't know if it has to do with the heavier trigger pull and they dip because they think there will be a lot of recoil and they are trying to avoid it, or if the heavier trigger pull makes them have less trigger control and they tend to jerk it a little bit. I have noticed that the Siglite night sights I have on mine tend to be more "combat sights" so the sight picture needs to be just slightly different...maybe that's it?

But whatever. It's deadly accurate every time, seemingly even when I'm not. And "gentle" enough that I taught two people how to shoot on IT, instead of a .22. Even my little guy can do serious damage to a zombie target with it. I think if you decide to buy one, you can't go wrong. Definitely put about 100 rounds through the DAK if you can, before you buy. It's just freaking sweeeeet!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links