SR9 question/concern

This is a discussion on SR9 question/concern within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone had or heard of a problem with SR9's cycling hollow points? If so what where you using?...

Thread: SR9 question/concern

SR9 question/concern

Has anyone had or heard of a problem with SR9's cycling hollow points?

If so what where you using?

2. Remove Ads

I have never had a problem

I haven't tried all the models out there because of cost but as of right now my SR-9 has eaten without a hitch

Hornady TAP 124gr +p
    Gold dot 124gr +p, 147gr +p
    Golden sabers 124
    Hornady critical defense (with filled nose like powerball)
    Winchester Bonded 124gr+p,147gr +p

As well as 4-5000 rounds of FMJ mostly 115, some 124 reload lead cast, with only 2-3 Failures to Fire. (surprisingly it wasn't a reload but a Sellier & Bellot ammo) And never have had a failure to eject

I haven't had any problem at all with my SR9, including its ability to eat any ammo I put through her.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

VIP Member
    My SR9 would shoot anything you put in it. Are you having any trouble with any fmj's or just HP's?
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I haven't had any problems just yet, I've only shot FMJ thought it to date.

My concern arises from a box of Federal hydra shoks I just purchased, I've yet to fire any to see how my SR9 likes it, but when cocking it the slide seems to want to catch when I put one in the chamber.

This "catch" only happens when I am moving the slide manually if i just pull it back and let it go, no problem, which leads me to believe it will be fine under a situation where I'm firing them. I will try to fire a couple of these this week and will keep everyone updated if I do have trouble.

Side note; Does this make since? I'm not sure I'm describing this in the best way. I've recently moved from a set night shift to jumping all over the place to forgive me my mind is moving a little slow.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LRFireEMS View Post
    I haven't had any problems just yet, I've only shot FMJ thought it to date.

My concern arises from a box of Federal hydra shoks I just purchased, I've yet to fire any to see how my SR9 likes it, but when cocking it the slide seems to want to catch when I put one in the chamber.

This "catch" only happens when I am moving the slide manually if i just pull it back and let it go, no problem, which leads me to believe it will be fine under a situation where I'm firing them. I will try to fire a couple of these this week and will keep everyone updated if I do have trouble.

Side note; Does this make since? I'm not sure I'm describing this in the best way. I've recently moved from a set night shift to jumping all over the place to forgive me my mind is moving a little slow.
    I don't think you will have any problems. Remember that the "load" stage of operation is supposed to happen at high speed. By holding the slide as it moves forward you are slowing the cycle.

This doesn't mean that there may not be a problem. I'm not a gunsmith and I'm not looking at the situation first-hand. However, I think if you just pull back the slide and then release it, you will not even notice a catch.

Good luck.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    I don't think you will have any problems. Remember that the "load" stage of operation is supposed to happen at high speed. By holding the slide as it moves forward you are slowing the cycle.

This doesn't mean that there may not be a problem. I'm not a gunsmith and I'm not looking at the situation first-hand. However, I think if you just pull back the slide and then release it, you will not even notice a catch.

Good luck.

Kind of my thoughts, I just wanted to run this by you guys just in case I missed something, like another recall perhaps, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by LRFireEMS View Post
    This "catch" only happens when I am moving the slide manually if i just pull it back and let it go, no problem, ...
    It sounds like you are describing "riding the slide home". When chambering a round you should never slowley let the slide go forward. You should always pull the slide all the way back then let it slam home on a round under it's own force.

Riding the slide home can cause a failure to feed.

I recommend using the factory slide release to chamber a round ;-) no error there, let the mechanics of the gun do the work for you. make sure you clean the barrel feed ramp good after a range trip!
    ------------------------------------------------------
    ACT 235 Certified #45700

Links