Your Opinion Please

This is a discussion on Your Opinion Please within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; During the Summer months I wear shorts and t-shirt most of the time. I carry a Walther PPK/S .380 German made, in a Swede IWB ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Opinion Please

Your Opinion Please

During the Summer months I wear shorts and t-shirt most of the time. I carry a Walther PPK/S .380 German made, in a Swede IWB Bianchi at the appendix position. The set up is very comfortable and I wear the combo in and out of the house all day. Now here is my question. With the double action, would you carry the pistol with the hammer down and the safety in the fire position? I have practiced and practiced taking the safety off on the draw...but what might happen in an emergency? This is one of the main things I like about my Glock 17...READY TO SHOOT!

Thanks for your comments,

Richard
    MY CARRY IN ORDER
    SEE AVATAR

2. Remove Ads

I've wrestled with the same question. I just don't like the concept of trying to switch from safety to off safety in a panic moment so I have opted for off safety with the hammer down. The only thing I want to be necessary is to get the gun out and pull the trigger.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

What happens if you drop the gun on the hammer with the safety off? The answer to that question would determine for me whether I would carry with the safety on or off. The Glock is safe under that condition. don't know about the Walther.

I don't know if you're a hunter but if you are, think about hunting and I believe you'll realize that taking the safety off is a non-issue. I've hunted quail without a dog and had birds flush right at my feet and I can honestly say I never remember removing the safety. I remember once while deer hunting, a coyote (back when hides were worth something) busted out of the woods unexpectedly. I don't even remember making the shot. After he dropped, I cycled my bolt rifle and ejected a live round onto the ground. Without any conscious effort, I had flipped off the safety, aimed, fired, and reloaded. When the time comes and the adrenalin kicks in, muscle memory takes over; as long as you're familiar with your weapon.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

What happens if you drop the Walther on the hammer with the safety off? Is there a hammer interlock that precludes firing without a trigger pull? The answer to that question would determine for me whether I would carry with the safety on or off. The Glock is safe under that condition. Don't know about the Walther.

To the best of my knowledge the firing pin block on the PPK/S is only activated when in the safe position. The first time I ever placed the safety on with the hammer to the rear...........the block was positioned before the hammer fell. It kind of scared me at first until I tried it with a round in the chamber at the range.
    MY CARRY IN ORDER
    SEE AVATAR

VIP Member

"Too many minds"... The Last Samurai

Consider your skill and experience combined with your perceived threat level. After 40-years of working with firearms, I guarantee you will eventually make a mistake with the safety. It will either be “off” when you thought it was “on”, or “on” when you thought it was “off”. This is simply the nature of firearms that incorporate a manual safety. As humans, we become complacent and accustomed to our habits. So much so, that we often become preoccupied and frequently forget things.

The only advice I can recommend is that you be consistent from this day forward in order to minimize the inherit risks. Now, I love all of my previous 1911’s and I may opt for another one. However, I still prefer handguns without a separate manual safety. Who knows, maybe this is why us older dogs (not as alert) often fall back to a small revolver.
    Regards,
    Last edited by Saber; August 2nd, 2009 at 12:00 PM. Reason: more to say...
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Don't nearly all handguns made in the last 20 years or so have "rebounding" firing pins that don't protrude from the FP hole in the breech when the hammer is down? Spring pressure keeps the firing pin retracted until the back end of the pin is firmly and directly hit by the hammer. In general, guns of this type can survive a 5- or 6-foot drop and land directly on the lowered hammer without fear of discharge.

A back-handed way to tell might be the fact that the Walther PPK and PPK/S are both OK for sale in CA. I believe the drop test is one of the required standards. What's not certain is the age of your particular gun, and whether Walther incorporated modest design changes for safety over the years.

gasmitty,

I bought the Walther new and it was manufactured in 1972.
    MY CARRY IN ORDER
    SEE AVATAR

I can only speak for myself. Training or muscle memory, I don't trust myself to flip off a safety. I carry Two Revolvers and reloads and hope I never have to use them. If the time comes that I have to use them I like the KISS method, keep it simple, stupid.

Administrator
    The DA trigger pull on the Walther PPK/S is usually so dadblamed heavy that with the safety in the off position it is really no different than a GLOCK only with a much stiffer and heavier trigger.
    Or I should say that it's probably no different than carrying a Double Action revolver.
    You are correct the FP block only moves up when the safety is in the ON position and so would the PPK/S detonate a cartridge if the safety was off and you smacked the PPK/S hammer hard with a conventional hammer?

I dunno...any takers want to try it on their own personal handgun?

My wife carries her Bersa Thunder 380 with safety in the fire position. Ready to go. In a good holster is should not be a problem.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Consider your skill and experience combined with your perceived threat level. After 40-years of working with firearms, I guarantee you will eventually make a mistake with the safety. It will either be “off” when you thought it was “on”, or “on” when you thought it was “off”. This is simply the nature of firearms that incorporate a manual safety. As humans, we become complacent and accustomed to our habits. So much so, that we often become preoccupied and frequently forget things.

The only advice I can recommend is that you be consistent from this day forward in order to minimize the inherit risks. Now, I love all of my previous 1911’s and I may opt for another one. However, I still prefer handguns without a separate manual safety. Who knows, maybe this is why us older dogs (not as alert) often fall back to a small revolver.
    Regards,
    Saber,
    Are you saying you carried or carry a 1911 in the cocked and locked position. To me this is the only way to carry a 1911, and the way I do with my Kimber Compact.
    MY CARRY IN ORDER
    SEE AVATAR

jfl
    In a high stress situation your fine motor skills are gone; the less things to do to get the gun to go boom, the better.
    That's why I carry a Glock 26; before that a revolver.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

My Glock 17 is just too big for me during Summer attire. When I carry my Glock or Kimber I have an outer loose garment. I think I would solve this problem by parting with a couple side arms and get a Glock 26 for Summer
    MY CARRY IN ORDER
    SEE AVATAR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links