S&W M&P 40 - Trigger Improvements?

This is a discussion on S&W M&P 40 - Trigger Improvements? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I tried shooting an M&P 40 recently, a rental gun at the local range. I really like the ergos, size/weight, and mag capacity, but I ...

Thread: S&W M&P 40 - Trigger Improvements?

S&W M&P 40 - Trigger Improvements?

I tried shooting an M&P 40 recently, a rental gun at the local range. I really like the ergos, size/weight, and mag capacity, but I did not like the trigger pull at all. The rental gun had a long trigger pull that stacked up a lot, and I couldn't feel where it was going to break.

Has anyone here had trigger work done to an M&P? I have gotten used to my Sig P229 - could I realistically expect to get an M&P trigger to feel as good as a Sig DA trigger? I know it's subjective, I'm just looking for opinions.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    I tried shooting an M&P 40 recently, a rental gun at the local range. I really like the ergos, size/weight, and mag capacity, but I did not like the trigger pull at all. The rental gun had a long trigger pull that stacked up a lot, and I couldn't feel where it was going to break.

Has anyone here had trigger work done to an M&P? I have gotten used to my Sig P229 - could I realistically expect to get an M&P trigger to feel as good as a Sig DA trigger? I know it's subjective, I'm just looking for opinions.
    Mike could take care of you Accurate-Iron.com - Custom gunsmithing in Oklahoma City

More answers here The #1 Compact, Full Size, and Modified M&P Pistol Source :: MP-Pistol.com
    John

NRA Life Member
    TSRA

Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

I did my own using this for reference- S&W M&P Trigger Job

Very easy to do and does wonders for the M&P trigger.
    I have mine down to a little over 4lbs, with a excellent reset.

-PH22

My M&P 45 C is indistinguishible from a Glock or XD trigger. It was rougher at first then the other two but after 300-400 rounds its smoothed out. also i have very little take up then begins to stage, at that point is light and quick.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    ACT 235 Certified #45700

Walter,

The M&P trigger problem plagues the entire line. It may be something that will be in the future for S&W as they try to compete with XD and Glock. We very well may see custom work through S&W for these.

That said, you won't notice the trigger problem if you run defensive drills. It's very notable during fundamentals and grouping runs.

I have had trigger work done on 4 different M&P autos and have enjoyed shooting every one of them. The name mentioned above have great reputations (although I had my local smith do the work on mine). Also, ditto on the "you won't notice the trigger problem if you run defensive drills..." comment, at least 99% of shooters will not.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

The S&W performance center will do a trigger job on the M&P's but I have not personally seen or felt one they have worked on. It may be worth checking into.

An above post mentions Bowie Tactical. David Bowie has an excellent reputation for specializing in trigger mods for GLOCK/M&P. His M&P trigger options include either a "short" of "long" set-up depending on your hand size & preference. While I won't (can't) offer an opinion on your SIG comparison, I will give David a complete personal recommendation. Good man, great work.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLaw View Post
    The S&W performance center will do a trigger job on the M&P's but I have not personally seen or felt one they have worked on. It may be worth checking into.
    Vito at S&W did the work on my M&P9 adding there performance center sear and a fluff and buff (the feed ramp looks like a mirror). Plus the S&W work will not affect the warranty for those that care. My M&P was new when I sent it in and the trigger was awesome when I got it back and the more I shot the better it got. I sold it Saturday to a gun shop owner and he asked if he could dry fire it. "sure" His eyes lit up saying "that's the best trigger I've felt yet on a M&P"

So yeah S&W dose good work but I don't know if S&W's performance sear is a different factory part # than the original or they cut and smooth the original sear like Burwell dose. They did send the orignal sear back with the pistol though.
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

I had Burwell work on my M&P. He made it lighter, but it is still too mushy for my taste.

S&W Performance Center

Agreed, Bowie and Burwell are great (I hear) and I had my M&P 9 done by S&W. I have almost 2000 rounds through it and it's my favorite trigger of all my guns. as previously posted, the package I got included the perrformance sear and ramp polish. Works great !

Thanks for all the input.

I think I will get an M&P 40 and do some trigger work. The M&P looks like one of the best striker fired options available.

Links