Got my Para P16 today

Got my Para P16 today

This is a discussion on Got my Para P16 today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got my Para Ord P16 today from gunbroker.com. Went to pick it up and register it this morning. It's the one in my avatar. If ...

Thread: Got my Para P16 today

Got my Para P16 today

Got my Para Ord P16 today from gunbroker.com. Went to pick it up and register it this morning. It's the one in my avatar. If you haven't checked out my blog about this Para P16 40 to 10mm conversion, here's the http://freakshow10mm.blogspot.com to it.

10mm fits in the ejection port and all mags are 40 caliber ( 3x 16rds and 1x 18rds) and 10mm rounds fit too. Very, very tight fit. I think the 200gr CCI Blazer FMJs are 1.25" OAL. I seriously doubt the 1.26" rounds will fit. I heard DTs are only 1.25" OAL so this won't be a problem.

I am going to replace some parts right off the bat. Thumb and grip safeties, both Ed Brown replacements. Going with a wide thumb and a beavertail grip w/ speed bump. Has a C&S trigger kit installed and I am guessing it breaks between 3-4 pounds. Definately sweet. Also has a shock buffer.

The front sight is a joke. Isn't combat, but more of a fiber optic wanna-be. Doesn't look like Para DT at all. Has a orange insert, but looks welded or something instead of DT'd to the slide. Some scratches around it too. Rear is 100% factory two dot white. Will replace the sights with XS BD 24/7s.

Some wearing from holster around sharp edges. This was a work piece and not a BBQ gun. When I send it it for the Cobra Chrome (Tripp) I will have it Bobtailed and dehorned before the chrome treatment.

Haven't shot it yet. My 'range' is under 4 feet of snow still so it may be a while before I get to an actual range to test fire it before I send it to Hunter Customs for the 10mm ream job. I think I will leave the Hogue wraparound grips on it for now. They are comfy and will do the job until I can think of something else, maybe Carbon Creations or VZ Grips?

Took it apart down to the thumb safety removal. I was going to go all the way, but had to put it back together and store it so I could go back to school. Maybe tomorrow I will do it again and clean it real good. I didn't have a manual, just went by the NRA Pistol and Revolver Assembly book. I got some powder residue off of it today when I was learning how all the parts looked and what they did. Gun looked like it was oiled up good not too long ago.

My finace has the camera in her car so you will have to wait until tomorrow for pics. I got some questions about normal 1911 parts wear. It looks to me like normal, but I was just curious about some stuff. Particulary the pattern of the barrel wear on the outside. Bore looked very, very clean. Almost eerie.

Just wanted to share my enthusiasm of becoming a first time 1911 owner. Thanks.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

congrats on the new pistol i was thinking of the same model for the same conversion .. i have carbon creation grips on my springer and like them wish i had gotten smooth though

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    congrats , para's are fine pistols in my experiance

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Congrats, you will enjoy it very much. But be warned 10mm are $$ to feed, and they get hungry.

Assistant Administrator
    Be interested to hear how it performs for you - hopefully very well.

4' of snow tho - heck man - hope the rising temps reach you and that goes, like fast!!!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Bruce45: I will be using Double Tap Ammo exclusively. Will try out 135gr JHP @ 1600fps, 180gr XTP @ 1350fps, and 200gr XTP @ 1250fps (hunting load). Specs from 4.6" barrels, slightly more with my 5" bbl. DT goes $24.50 per 50 box. Not too shabby. Not prohibitively expensive either. My local shop has Blazer 200gr FMJs for $1/box over 40cal. Not too shabby either.

P95Carry: Yeah, lots of snow up here still. Melting fairly well. A month ago we had upwards of 6 feet on the ground. Now we are down to 4' or so. March 13th we got 33" in 5 hours. Looking forward to spring, probably another month or so up here. Most of the snow is gone by May. To get an idea of where I am in the UP, turn your left hand over so your thumb is on top and your fingers point to the right. I am about two-thirds the way up your thumb on the left side (thumbnail side). Waaaay up 'der, hey! Truth is, wouldn't change it for the world. Lots better than WI.

Check back on my blog, I update it at least once a week. I don't get anything for the ads placed, so don't worry about me getting rich off of it. I just wanted to share my 10mm conversion experience with others, as this platform as well as Kimber platforms are beginning to be popular conversion projects for 40 to 10mm. There are about 5-6 out there between here, GT, THR, and both 1911 forums. No one has a website and so many questions are asked that could be a good website. There are a few 10mm websites out there, but most are history related. My blog, and soon my website with links to other blogs of mine in the works, will attempt to inform others who wish to take the same journey as I did. This will hopefully serve as encouragement to others who wish to do the same. Just doing my part for the 10mm community.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Why not hand load and save DT for carry be lot cheeper and you can load 10 pretty hot your self just like the old norma loads

all mags are 40 caliber ( 3x 16rds and 1x 18rds) and 10mm rounds fit too. Very, very tight fit.
    I might be thinking of some other gun, but aren't the mags for the P16 actually .45acp mags with the feed lips adjusted and a plastic shim installed along the back side of the mag?

I could swear I read about another P16 conversion where all you had to do is remove the base plate of the mag, take the spring and follower out and the plastic shim can easily be removed so the 10mm ammo fits better.

I can't find anything on the net saying this, but I could swear I've seen pictures and everything.

EDIT
    After some digging it seems it was a conversion of a .40S&W Mauser M2 to 10mm that I was thinking of. Found the reference here http://marina.fortunecity.com/harbour/347/10mm08.html almost at the bottom of the page, however the pics are gone :(

VIP Member
    Cool.....enjoy the Para.

I conversed with the guy who did the Mauser M2 10mm conversion. He said it came out well and the gun shot very well.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Why not hand load and save DT for carry be lot cheeper and you can load 10 pretty hot your self just like the old norma loads

I am not set up for reloading yet. I have made the decision to start by gearing up a bit when I have extra money. Dies here and there, small hand tools, etc. I am going with two presses to start. One is going to be a Lee Turret press that I will load 223, 10mm, 45acp and the other is a RCBS Rockchucker Adv Sup kit for 7mm-08, 45/70, and 454 Casull when I get one. The turret press is more for higher volume stuff whereas the SS is for hunting loads primarily. Got my list of stuff I need and now it's just a matter of buying it. Got lots of load books and read them when I am on the throne. I have Barnes, Hornady, Lyman, Nosler, Sierra, Swift, and Hodgdon books. Oh, and I'm going to load 20ga on a MEC 9000 later.

Frankford Arsenal has that reloading stand thing that I want so bad. Midway has them for around $50. I could load on the coffee table for now. When the kid is around it would be very dangerous to load while watching a kid. The only thing I could do while babysitting is maybe clean and sort brass, prime them; neck or FL size the cases at very most if it's nap time. Basically anything that does not involve powder or any finishing, just case prep stuff.

I could just get the very basic powder weighing stuff and get the turret press for 10mm and start that way, but I want the nifty RCBS digital combo with the RC Adv Sup kit. I want to start out good, don't want to mess around with beam scales and such.

However, it may be a while before I actually get started, as I have a kid on the way due Oct. 26. I promised my fiance this Para was the last gun I buy before the kid is born. I have to dump some money into this to get it to where I want, at least up to the Bobtail & chrome job. That can wait til Xmas time. I have to be mature and compromise needs and wants. My compromise is 10mm ream, thumb and grip safeties, sights, and springs. Other stuff will have to wait until I can absolutely justify spending the money or after by child is born. Priorities, they nip you in the butt when you least expect it.

That being said, the Para 10mm is going to be a carry gun. It will be in the woods with me while hunting and if a shot presents itself, I will take deer with it, but I bought this gun for defensive purposed pure and simple. I don't really plan shooting a lot, so CCI Blazer cheapies fill the tab for me, locally they are $12 a box of 50, my dealer just lowered the price for me.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Zundfololge, there is no block in the mag at all. Here's a little bit of history: 1991 Para Ord made a 10mm GM (if you can find one, they are VERY pricey, good luck with the Mrs.). They discontinued the 10mm after one year due to lack of sales. They used the same mags and followers for the 10mm as the 40 S&W. This would cut costs. One mag/follower for two different calibers is obviously a money saver. The mag and follower combo worked so well, they just kept the dimesions and used them for the 40 cal line of Paras. This is why the 40 caliber Paras are so popular for 10mm conversions, because if the cartridge fits the ejection port, your other problem area is the magazine. Because the Para 40 caliber series mags are actually 10mm mags, they will fit. Para P16 mags will also fit and work with USP 40 to 10mm conversions.

Most 10mm cartridge OAL is 1.25". Some are 1.26". I think maybe a 1.26" will fit and feed, but like I said, it will be a very tight squeeze. I will post pics later today, my finace is at work with the camera. I have two mags loaded with 10mm (200gr) and two loaded with 40 S&W (180gr). Interesting to see how they fit in the mag.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    I believe someone at 10mm Talk said that the converted USP's were getting beat up pretty badly....don't recall the round count though.

I managed to see a person's P16 10mm conversion up close one time; he loved this gun and the cartridge.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Links