night sights install

This is a discussion on night sights install within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to install night sights on the xd... Has anyone had experience installing these? Is it hard? And what night sights do you recommend? ...

Thread: night sights install

night sights install

I want to install night sights on the xd... Has anyone had experience installing these? Is it hard? And what night sights do you recommend?
    Im wanting to do this myself, but I dont wanna scratch the gun. Thanks guys!

Any pics of night sights as well?
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

2. Remove Ads

On most guns this is as simple as a brass punch or a small wooden dowel (I use golf tees) and a hammer. On the XD... hehe not so much. It would take the Governator to hammer the sights off an XD, and the brackets that gunsmiths use to drift the sights does not give the leverage you will need either. You will likely have to dremel the sights away before you will get them to budge. Unless you are practiced with machinery, have a smith do it for ya.

I changed out the sights on my XD SC but like Titleist said, it's not an easy job and not for the faint-hearted. I used a bench block to support the slide and punched out the sight, but I was starting to wonder what was going to give up first, the sight or the slide. And you might as well forget using a brass punch. Bent one of mine into a U. Ended up having to use a steel punch. I now have one of these and it worked great on my Sig, but haven't had an opportunity to use it on a XD. If I had to do over again, I'd have taken my XD to a gunsmith and let him be responsible.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member
    Timely post! I was just wondering about this for my XD and now I know that this is probably a job I leave to someone who already knows what they are doing!

I prefer Trijicons, and I have my gun shop put them in...takes just a few minutes (if you have the knowledge and tools). I buy my NS there and they install them for free...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm a firm believer that using anything to punch-out the sights is a bad option. Sure it might work, but the proper way is to use a sight installation tool or press.

Would you want to get your night sights installed too far one way or the other and have to use a punch to drift it slightly knowing that it could rupture the ampules?

I didn't notice anyone posting the info. It had been rumored for years that the XD has Sig-style sight mounts and that any sight for a Sig should fit the XD. Any truth to that?

I'm looking at the same problem with my xd. I called Trijicon and they said if I sent the slide, they would install the night sights and ship them back to me for $30, plus the cost of the sights. I'm gonna go that route since there aren't any gunsmiths within 65 miles of me.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I'm looking at the same problem with my xd. I called Trijicon and they said if I sent the slide, they would install the night sights and ship them back to me for $30, plus the cost of the sights. I'm gonna go that route since there aren't any gunsmiths within 65 miles of me.
    Here's the big problem with that specific type of service. They cannot guarantee that the sights won't need adjusted once you have it back. They can try to convince you all day long that they'll be dead-on, but it's not true..they can't. This is because the firearm isn't assembled when they install them and thus it cannot be mated with a bore laser. Fine tuning or even major tuning on sight placement may still be required.

This is the reason I miss Shooters in Columbus, Ga. They had the smith and the tools in the shop so I could take it to the indoor range and have adjustments made on-site without ever leaving until I was satisfied with placement.

sheesh, after all this trouble, I would just never shoot at night, lol jk

Quote Originally Posted by diverdown247 View Post
    Here's the big problem with that specific type of service. They cannot guarantee that the sights won't need adjusted once you have it back. They can try to convince you all day long that they'll be dead-on, but it's not true..they can't. This is because the firearm isn't assembled when they install them and thus it cannot be mated with a bore laser. Fine tuning or even major tuning on sight placement may still be required.

This is the reason I miss Shooters in Columbus, Ga. They had the smith and the tools in the shop so I could take it to the indoor range and have adjustments made on-site without ever leaving until I was satisfied with placement.
    That's a possibility, I guess I could call them again and see what they say about it. If the new sights are the same height, I would think as long as they go in the exact place as the old ones, everything should be fine, I hope.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I've never installed sights on an XD, but have worked on many 1911's. Getting the old sight off is usually only half the battle. The new sights don't just ease right in, at least I've never seen any that have. Depending on the manufacturer, the sights may be a little to very oversized. The channel on the slide may be even from side to side but usually isn't, depending again on the manufacturer, I don't know about the XD's.
    There are special files that will even out the channel and widen it if necessary. This is a trial and error operation, with a lot of trial and no room for error. The new sights must fit snug enough so they don't fly out, yet loose enough so that they're not damaged during installation. If you have no experience, I wouldn't start experimenting on the XD. Your best bet is to send them in. If they need adjusting later, drifting from side to side is typically easy on replacement sights.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

The Meps on my p2000 are a cinch to get on and off. I happened to talk to SA about their sights, and was told that the sights are in there at X# of pounds per inch. I don't recall the number, but it was big.

Don't forget though. New sights from aftermarket vendors may be made to fit the pistol well, so that may be no problem for you at all to get on. It's still gonna be the removal that's gonna be tricky.

Links