Carry a Kahr PM9...Leave in Battery????

This is a discussion on Carry a Kahr PM9...Leave in Battery???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All, I am currently carrying a PM9 but my question also applies to my G26, LCP and other semi's. I usually leave the guns ...

Thread: Carry a Kahr PM9...Leave in Battery????

Hello All,

I am currently carrying a PM9 but my question also applies to my G26, LCP and other semi's.

I usually leave the guns loaded with one in the chamber and do not make it cold at the end of the day.

My question is this: Can I leave the gun always ready for any length of time without worrying about wear on the striker springs etc?

I dont like to constantly make it cold since it may cause pressure to build in the chambered round (yes I can rotate them). BUT, I dont want to cause strain on any internal parts that could potentially lead to a AD......and I have not seen anything about this in the manuals so that is why I am reaching out to the forum.

Thanks for any help.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Springs wear as they cycle, not by being compressed. You're fine. FWIW, my K9 has had a round chambered virtually every minute of every day for the past 15 years.......both magazines have been fully loaded that entire time as well. No problemo.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

VIP Member
    I dont like to constantly make it cold since it may cause pressure to build in the chambered round
    The pressure in the round does not build up over time, whether the slide is locked back or is forward. I believe what your talking about is round setback. If you rotate your rounds periodically you shouldn't have an issue.

I dont want to cause strain on any internal parts that could potentially lead to a AD
    Cycling the slide is not going to cause any undo harm to the internal parts of your gun. Actually firing the gun puts more stress on parts than hand cycling it does. If anything having the slide locked back for long periods is going to wear the spring more than the slide being in battery. With the slide locked back the spring is compressed, where the slide forward has the spring relaxed.

Good advise, I think this has been covered well. Don't worry about it, plus another loaded weapon (I assume you are clearing the chamber ONLY due to having another weapon for home defense) around is a good thing...assuming that it is in a safe place with "safe" being relevent to who else is in the house with you (like children).
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Keeping the gun hot is a good habit to have. You won't have to wonder if the gun is ready to go if something happens and you need it quick. Not knowing for sure and having to check takes up valuble time. Let any adults in your home know that the gun is always ready in case they were to be the ones that need it. It should go without saying to keep it out of the reach of kids.

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Springs wear as they cycle, not by being compressed. You're fine. FWIW, my K9 has had a round chambered virtually every minute of every day for the past 15 years.......both magazines have been fully loaded that entire time as well. No problemo.
    That makes me feel better. I do want to keep whatever gun I have loaded and ready but was concerned about the effect on the gun.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by BigLaw View Post
    Keeping the gun hot is a good habit to have. You won't have to wonder if the gun is ready to go if something happens and you need it quick. Not knowing for sure and having to check takes up valuble time. Let any adults in your home know that the gun is always ready in case they were to be the ones that need it. It should go without saying to keep it out of the reach of kids.
    I do tell my wife that they are always loaded, even if they are not.....want everyone to get into the habit of checking if need be.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    I do tell my wife that they are always loaded, even if they are not.....want everyone to get into the habit of checking if need be.

Thanks.
    +1

I do the same thing...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    +1

I do the same thing...
    +1 Smart thinking
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Glock 22 duty weapon. Same gun for the last 9 years. Always loaded with a round in the chamber. I never unload it, except during training at the range and for maintenance, of course. Never an issue.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro 40 View Post
    Glock 22 duty weapon. Same gun for the last 9 years. Always loaded with a round in the chamber. I never unload it, except during training at the range and for maintenance, of course. Never an issue.
    Thanks, this is the sort of info I was looking for to see what others have been doing and 9 years is more than enough history for me!

Sponsored Links