Conversion from XD 40sw to 9mm

This is a discussion on Conversion from XD 40sw to 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a simple no fuss no fitting or adjustment conversion to go from an XD 4 in 40sw to 9mm. I've read ...

Thread: Conversion from XD 40sw to 9mm

Conversion from XD 40sw to 9mm

I am looking for a simple no fuss no fitting or adjustment conversion to go from an XD 4 in 40sw to 9mm. I've read a few things and some people say they had to get it fit, but I am looking for a direct drop in.

I understand I will need 9mm mag and a conversion barrel. I would like to hear form people who have first hand experience with this type of conversion. Which brand of barrell did you use, did you need to get it fit? Do I need a different recoil spring, where do I order all the items for conversion?

2. Remove Ads

Direct drop-ins "technically" do not exist. All barrel parts for mods, such as the one you are describing, should be fitted to prevent undue wear and tear on the new parts as well as the old.

As a XD owner, my question would be: Why would you want to convert a XD .40cal to a 9mm? I might be able to understand .40cal to .357Sig, but the 9mm baffles me since the cost of the parts and labor might be as much as buying a XD9 outright.

Advantages/disadvantages please.

Nek
    The 9mm barrel cost $157 when I looked a week ago. A 9mm magazine can be had for around $30 or so. Thats all thats needed so it is far cheaper than buying a dedicated 9mm gun. It makes sense to me to get this for range practice to save on ammo costs and wear on your 40cal barrel.

Like NEK said, for practice and range fun, cheaper.

Anyone done this conversion? any issues?

VIP Member
    I read on an XD forum about this company. They make a conversion barrel to allow your .40 to shoot 9mm. Everything I read said just drop in the new barrel and use a 9mm clip and you are good to go. You might want to check out an XD specific forum for more details from someone who has already done this conversion. FWIW, I am planning on getting one of these barrels just for the reasons mentioned above.

Welcome to EFKFireDragon.com

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by punk rocka View Post
    I read on an XD forum about this company. They make a conversion barrel to allow your .40 to shoot 9mm. Everything I read said just drop in the new barrel and use a 9mm clip and you are good to go. You might want to check out an XD specific forum for more details from someone who has already done this conversion. FWIW, I am planning on getting one of these barrels just for the reasons mentioned above.

Welcome to EFKFireDragon.com
    That makes sense, since the XD 40 and 9 are the same frame. I'm curious to hear your experience, so keep us up to date.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I've looked into this as well, the ability to shoot cheaper ammo for practice is appealing. Some of the people who have tried this claim to have had reliability issues due to the breach face for the 40SW being larger than for 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Nek View Post
    The 9mm barrel cost $157 when I looked a week ago. A 9mm magazine can be had for around $30 or so. Thats all thats needed so it is far cheaper than buying a dedicated 9mm gun. It makes sense to me to get this for range practice to save on ammo costs and wear on your 40cal barrel.

Think chain and sprocket here; when you replace one you should always replace the other due to wear patterns. If you convert, you're still going to have wear on the moving parts that were previously mated to the .40 cal. Now you're inserting "new" parts that are not mated to the firearm which can (and likely will) inadvertently cause undue wear and tear on the unmated surfaces.

Is that a chance to take with a tool that could save your life or ultimately take it? I would think that having the 9mm barrel fitted to the .40 cal would be essential to the process.

Thanks for the info on the conversion. I learned something today.

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
    I am looking for a simple no fuss no fitting or adjustment conversion to go from an XD 4 in 40sw to 9mm. I've read a few things and some people say they had to get it fit, but I am looking for a direct drop in.

I understand I will need 9mm mag and a conversion barrel. I would like to hear form people who have first hand experience with this type of conversion. Which brand of barrell did you use, did you need to get it fit? Do I need a different recoil spring, where do I order all the items for conversion?
    Just my 2 cents....as I understand what you are trying to do, but wal-Mart sells 9 for $8.97 a box, and 40 is $12.47......so about $3.50 differential.....not sure it is worth it as your break even point is $187 with mag and barrel or so which equals about 53 boxes or 2,650 rounds......anyways, good luck I hope it works out well for you.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Everything I read said just drop in the new barrel and use a 9mm clip and you are good to go.

I was not aware that they made clips for the XD!!!

Sorry I just had to do it, since it has been done to me
    You can't go through life being afraid!!

Sig 229 .40, Taurus 605 .357, Keltec P32

Since there is at least one company offering a 40 to 9 barrel conversion, this is probably a moot point, but it amazes me that this works. I understand the 40/357 Sig conversions because the 357 Sig is a 40 necked down and the cartridges have the same rim diameter, but the 9mm head diameter is considerably smaller. Without changing the bolt face, I can't quite grasp how this can work.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I exchanged a few emails with the pistolgear people and they were really helpful and they assured me that there would be no fitting required with the conversion barrel and that I would be fine with the 9mm mag and the conversion barrel but I don't know. It just seems highly unlikley that converting a gun would a) be as reliable as stock and b) not affect the internal workings in such a way that would render the original parts might not operate as intended.

I would love to have 2 guns in one and it would sure beat buying a whole new gun but something seems very skeptical to me. I searched and searched today but I could not really find too many first hand experience with doing a conversion this way I found a few where the owner used a 40mag as opposed to a 9mm mag and as a result they did have a few failures but I could not find any long term reports of a conversion like this and whether or not no fitting was required and the original parts still work as intended.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Wait, isn't the extractor set at a certain radius on the breech face? Wouldn't the extractor be too far away from the case?

If it works, that's pretty neat.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Nek

minor difference

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Wait, isn't the extractor set at a certain radius on the breech face? Wouldn't the extractor be too far away from the case?

If it works, that's pretty neat.
    The difference in radius between the base of the two cartridges is only 0.016, since it is somewhat spring loaded the small difference to the extractor isnt noticed.
    Last edited by Nek; August 4th, 2009 at 12:44 PM. Reason: cant spell, LOL

I would rather have two guns. If one quit working you have another to fall back on. It is a good excuse to buy another gun.

Semper Fi

Links