New carry gun... Kel-Tec PF-9

This is a discussion on New carry gun... Kel-Tec PF-9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking for a PF-9 locally for a while now. I had run across plenty of Kel-Tec P11, P3AT, P32, etc, but I had ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New carry gun... Kel-Tec PF-9

I've been looking for a PF-9 locally for a while now. I had run across plenty of Kel-Tec P11, P3AT, P32, etc, but I had my mind set on a PF-9. Normally Kel-Tecs feel cheap in my hand, but the PF-9 seems solid and feels good.

I found found one late last week, and at a decent price ($349). When I got home, I ordered a custom-made holster from Ed Buffaloe. It is small enough to fit in the pockets of jeans and khaki shorts, but I much prefer belt holsters. I've also got a Bianchi IWB holster on its way.

So far, I love it. Its ALOT lighter than any of my other guns, and its tiny size makes it quite comfortable to carry without settling for a less powerful caliber. Not to mention, 9mm is alot easier to find, and cheaper, than .380 lately.

Well, here it is:

Nek

Looks nice

Looks nice. Ive thought about one but hesitated when I was told that their lifespan was good for only 4K-6K rounds.

I find this statement hard to believe. Maybe a recoil spring might need to be replaced but the actual gun, I just can't believe that.

Then again, I guess anything is possible in this day and age.

Very nice. You will carry it ALOT because of it's size and weight. I love mine been flawless. I also have p-11,p3at also tho. They have all been good ones too.

Nek - These guns have a lifetime warranty. The best in the business according to people that has used it. If one fails for any reason in it's lifetime, they will fix/replace gun. So if they wear out in 4k rounds...they send you a new one to wear out
    Change We Can Believe In 01.20.13 Gun Control is Being Able to Hit Your Target.

Grant48--you are 100% correct..the PF9 is probably the smallest,lightest and thinest 9mm on the market..nice pick,congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Nek View Post
    Looks nice. Ive thought about one but hesitated when I was told that their lifespan was good for only 4K-6K rounds.
    Good luck putting that many round through one.
    I run a couple magazines though mine at the range to make sure everything works and I can hit the target, then I move on to something more fun to shoot.

Yeah, the PF9 makes a nice carry gun, that is why I bought one. I am not a big guy and it is easy for me to conceal. I seriously doubt if I will ever put more than 4-5K rounds through mine if that is supposed to be the functional life. I really feel this is just something spread by those who do not like plastic guns. There are boys over on the Keltec site that have many more rounds than that down the pipe on theirs. I have several other handguns, larger and smaller, that are a lot more fun to shoot. IMHO, ya done good.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Thanks for the photos
    I love mine for the same reason all the others have said.
    small , light , powerfull , and it works, whats not to like right?
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Nek
    Quote Originally Posted by shaneotool View Post
    Good luck putting that many round through one.
    I run a couple magazines though mine at the range to make sure everything works and I can hit the target, then I move on to something more fun to shoot.
    I dont think it would be hard to put that many rounds through it at all. I picked up a SA XD a few months back and am already past the 1200 mark, and my previous Ruger is easily over 6K. It wouldnt suprise me if I hit 4K by this time next year with the XD.
    Anyhow since the Keltec does have a lifetime warranty I suppose its all good and you can get a new barrel as often as need be. If I found one in a hard chrome finish I would snap one up since it seems like a good value.
    Also in all seriousness, if you plan to use this as your CCW you really should go through 100rds/week to become proficiant with it to the point where you everything about it seems like second nature.

cmb
    I own and agree, now that it is completely broken in I only shoot it enough to maintain familiarity. Good job, only difference is I use the mag fingerest on my primary mag, gives a little more control.

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    ..the PF9 is probably the smallest,lightest and thinest 9mm on the market..nice pick,congrats.

What about the Kahr PM9 and the Rohrbaugh R9? Sooner or later I'm sure I'll have a PF9, but it isn't the smallest or lightest 9mm. It might be the thinest by .02-.03 inch. Also, it's probably the better deal. I think I'm talking myself into going to get one, and I already have a PM9, but you can't have too many 9s (or 45s, 40s, 22s, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by DocGlock View Post
    What about the Kahr PM9 and the Rohrbaugh R9? Sooner or later I'm sure I'll have a PF9, but it isn't the smallest or lightest 9mm. It might be the thinest by .02-.03 inch. Also, it's probably the better deal. I think I'm talking myself into going to get one, and I already have a PM9, but you can't have too many 9s (or 45s, 40s, 22s, etc.).
    the Kahr PM9 is 14oz w/o mag and .90" wide (costs almost twice as much as the Kel Tec PF9)

Kel Tec PF9 is 12.7oz w/o mag and .88" wide

Rohrbaugh R9 is 12.8oz w/o mag and .812" wide

If I didnt already have a PM9 I would give serious consideraiton to the PF. I had a P32 a few years ago that wasnt a very good gun but I do like the PF, like the looks actually.

Good luck with it and keep us posted on the range results.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Grant48
    looks like you polished the barrel.....

I have had my PF-9 for about a year now. I love it, carry it all the time.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links